SE's Black Armor et cetera.

SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey.

A few matters that have me concerned, regarding the Special Edition purchase.

First of all, when the developer tools are released, what is there to stop from people making servers with black armours for all players?

Also: I find it very unjust that only marines get something from the SE's order, because I will probably mostly play aliens on publics. Like... gorge with a pink belly would be justified, don't you agree?

Comments

• NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    yeah i haven't thought about it...

Well, it depend what you CAN and CANT change.. there gotta be a limit.. or??

Good question about the black armor.
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    There's really nothing stopping the modders from creating the black armor for everyone to use.

However, I really don't think the majority bought the special edition for the special armor as much as they did to get alpha access and to further support the awesome developers.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Indeed, it's quite a small matter, but I was just wondering if the devs had anything schemed for the SE supporters. Like an icon or such that would show globally on all servers beside the player's name, like in Dystopia if you're a supporter.
    I'm quite willing to pay $40 to support the devs, since I had so much fun back in NS1, even though I only spent a couple of months playing it back then.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I agree that an icon next to the player's name would be a nice solution.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1725251:date=Aug 27 2009, 07:33 PM:name=linfosoma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (linfosoma @ Aug 27 2009, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that an icon next to the player's name would be a nice solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

An icon would be nice. I know they said though that they aren't incorperating Constellation service with NS2 :( I still need to get constie one day.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    An icon sounds nice, but I don't really feel that I need any "Reward" for the Special Edition. I bought the Special Edition because that I wanted to support the UWE.

I'm quite fine with how it is.

I don't need the black armor ether, but it's fine.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2009
    I agree. Although I payed the extra money primarily to support the team and to get access to the alpha, I would love to retain the uniqueness of having black armour. It isn't a big deal but I would feel a little disappointed if I joined a server and everyone had black armour.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2009
    I for one will be replacing any model i can if their's a more superior 3rd party replacement. For example i may just replace the marine models so all marines appear to me to be black armored. This is purely clientside... it's how i've played NS1 for as long as i can remember.

Example:
    <a href="http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/clonetroopers.jpg" target="_blank">http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/clonetroopers.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/ns_stargate-xt9gatefun.jpg" target="_blank">http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/ns_stargate-xt9gatefun.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/heavy.jpg" target="_blank">http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/heavy.jpg</a> [note the cooler hmg and the all-black heavy and the Aliens [movie] welder he has :P]

Also, i used to use a black-camouflaged-un-armored-marine (part of the "specops" package that the black heavy came in), but i routinely found it hard, in dark areas, to know what my team-members were doing/aiming-at/shooting-at... so i replaced it with the matte-white cool clone trooper (the jetpacker in the skin has some green stripes or something instead of the blue lol).

Now you all know about zombiemaster. If you play on the right server then you will see big fat purple teletubies running around, and everthing else, like a floating shark model, randomly assigned to random players... expect to see this behavior in NS2.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1725243:date=Aug 27 2009, 07:45 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Aug 27 2009, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A few matters that have me concerned, regarding the Special Edition purchase.

First of all, when the developer tools are released, what is there to stop from people making servers with black armours for all players?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm about as concerned as a dingo wearing a kilt.

Let's just wait and see ay?
  • AlienamiAlienami Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68370Members
    edited August 2009
    SE for the Aliens: I would like to see a gray or darker green skin for aliens, someday.. but I can wait. Just work on releasing the game! hehe

Or... if they do have the icons and a way for the game to ID the SE owners the community could come up with their own ideas for SE stuff.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    I actually did buy SE for the black armour. So I can look all 'pro' and stuff on pubs.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    This won't be an issue if you simply play on Vanilla servers. =]
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    You should consider the $40 you spent ( a very low amount for a brand new game ) payment for all the hours of FREE fun you had playing NS1 and also getting NS2 as a bonus. Who cares if you are the only one in a server with black armor, support the devs.

Furthermore, note that 95% of pre-orders are Special Edition, therefore when the game is released it will be more uncommon to see a marine with standard armor than black until the new player base starts rolling in.
  • AlienamiAlienami Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68370Members
    For sure, I even had my brother pre-order the special edition too so that we can support the game and make sure it is worth the wait. I didn't just order for the special armor, but that did sweeten the deal, I won't lie. I would have paid $80 if it had some sort of special look for aliens though. ;)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2009
    compile the model in the executeable (for marines only), textures aswell. you cant access it then that easy and every "black armor server" wouldnt look original since they have to make their own custom marine model (with black armor textures on it)

edit: but of course, clever people will always find a way
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Meh, I haven't seen anyone hijacking the constie/PT icons either. Of course black armor might be cooler than the icon, but I still think people have a bit of respect for such symbols.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    There isnt a real point to 'hacking' the black armor, 90% of us are going to have it anyway, atleast for the alpha.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1725275:date=Aug 28 2009, 09:52 AM:name=marks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marks @ Aug 28 2009, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually did buy SE for the black armour. So I can look all 'pro' and stuff on pubs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i heard all div 1 has them
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You guys talk about the percentage of people who bought Special Edition comparing to the once who didn't.

Where can you see that number?

I would like to see it.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1725347:date=Aug 28 2009, 08:00 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 28 2009, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys talk about the percentage of people who bought Special Edition comparing to the once who didn't.

Where can you see that number?

I would like to see it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's in the twitter feed. It was also in an interview, although I forget which one. Maybe I'll go look for that.

Edit: fourth question in. <a href="http://www.ns2res.com/?p=490" target="_blank">http://www.ns2res.com/?p=490</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1725368:date=Aug 28 2009, 02:47 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Aug 28 2009, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's in the twitter feed. It was also in an interview, although I forget which one. Maybe I'll go look for that.

Edit: fourth question in. <a href="http://www.ns2res.com/?p=490" target="_blank">http://www.ns2res.com/?p=490</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you, I've totally forgot about that.

I'm in dett to you.
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    At that rate the green armoured players are going to be the minority anywayz.
    i think that at first there is going to be alot of "black" marine that is running around, but with time as more are getting the game there more "green" marine we are going to see..

I seen this with Battlefield 2142 and Battlefield Bad Conpanty. In 2142 you got a red 2 icon next to your name and at first lots of ppl had this but then not so many. Same with preorder in game weapons skin (all can see and use if they kill ya). Bad company had 1-3 as number and F2000 as veteran weapon, this was lots at first.. yeah you get the idea.

I think the same will happen here.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1725380:date=Aug 28 2009, 10:54 AM:name=NeXuZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeXuZ @ Aug 28 2009, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think that at first there is going to be alot of "black" marine that is running around, but with time as more are getting the game there more "green" marine we are going to see..

I seen this with Battlefield 2142 and Battlefield Bad Conpanty. In 2142 you got a red 2 icon next to your name and at first lots of ppl had this but then not so many. Same with preorder in game weapons skin (all can see and use if they kill ya). Bad company had 1-3 as number and F2000 as veteran weapon, this was lots at first.. yeah you get the idea.

I think the same will happen here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Wistfully thinks about having a classic NS1 pistol or knife as weapon for preorders*

I really don't want any game changing perks for preorders, but it would be cool to have the option of old skins.
  • sos32291sos32291 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68327Members
    I'm pretty sure that the Black Armor is just meant to be a little "Thanks For Supporting Us". Most people bought the SE because of how awesome UW is, not because they want to stand out from the "noobs".
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1725382:date=Aug 28 2009, 04:46 PM:name=sos32291)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sos32291 @ Aug 28 2009, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1725382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure that the Black Armor is just meant to be a little "Thanks For Supporting Us". Most people bought the SE because of how awesome UW is, not because they want to stand out from the "noobs".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speak for yourself xD
    edited August 2009
    I got SE for following reason in order.

1. To support a such small team to make a greate game.
    2. Played NS sens pre-steam era
    3. Female Marine.. i like female game characters (all, but my main, who is male, are females.)
    4. To play Alpha. (meh, i like No.4 so i added it with alpha :P)

So yeah black armor is a bonus for me, but then black armor female marin (BAFM) would be sweet. So i cant wait for Alpha/Beta.
    (and yes i know i got bafm on my siggy)
  • FallenWulfFallenWulf Join Date: 2009-07-05 Member: 68039Members
    I don't really want to repeat the Reason I got NS2 Since everyone is saying "Oh well I got it to support the team." That's pretty much the reason we all did it, and the reason why were all posting here. Anyways, I am not really a big supporter of having the Black Armor, At least not being able to turn it off. I simply look at games like Gears of War 2. When it was being released they gave out the gold weapons, At first everyone was saying " Awesome gold weapons.". I can't speak for everyone but I know All my friends and in general all the people I have asked when played against say that it was cool at first but in the end for various reasons they just stopped using them. Examples being they couldnt stay hidden as well, people would single them out during a firefight, amongst others.
    I think the Black Armor is a cool idea and honestly I can't see it being a hinderence but you can't tell with something like that until you have actually put it through it's paces. If anything I foresee it giving the marines an advantage... not really a bad thing.

Semper.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Truth. It's like icon stacking in NS1. Surely an icon next to a name means uber skillz.
  • spaztickspaztick Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68626Members
    Similar to running sv_pure 1/2 in Source game servers, I predict a way to force default textures and models to prevent cheating/skinning, and a side bonus is the special edition buyers will be the only ones with black armor.