What Lua mods would you like to see in NS2?

monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
Since it should be easy to come up with new gameplay modes using Lua, I'm curious what types of gameplay people would be interested in playing (aside from vanilla NS2)

Obviously, classic NS is first on the list, and Siege maps and Combat are right behind, so no need to mention those...

I would be interested in some kind of tower defense map (commander mode would be ideal of course)
or even a DOTA knockoff, with various 'heroes' on each side

another obvious one - gorge bowling

Comments

• OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1729997:date=Oct 1 2009, 11:30 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 1 2009, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...even a DOTA knockoff, with various 'heroes' on each side...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think i just jizzed in my pants. Someone, do that!
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Lots.

First person Dota actually sounds tolerable as long as there is no stun.

One ancient rusted lmg of smiting please.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1730002:date=Oct 1 2009, 04:58 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Oct 1 2009, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lots.

First person Dota actually sounds tolerable as long as there is no stun.

One ancient rusted lmg of smiting please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh christ. XD

I'd be fine with a DotA mod (although really you should call it <a href="http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/" target="_blank">HoN</a> now) as long as you obtained this criteria:

A) A LOT more classes than "Marine, Lerk, Skulk, Fade, etc.", which would be an entire game's worth of dev time to create methinks.

B) You take in mind that, unlike S2 Games, people on the Internet are 80% likely to be/have enough complete ######s and ruin the whole game (based on the fact that in their games they require 100% agreement amongst the players for ANYTHING fair to happen (team balance by skill, the abilty to ###### rage-quit, or even just quit period for acceptable reasons (house is on fire etc.) without losing the ability to play the game for life or something equally BS).

C) You know how to bloody BALANCE a game.

Get those three right, people (or at least I) will shower you with praise and money (from buying t-shirts and stuff). :P
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    A while back, a few friends of mine made a DOTA Source mod, with characters from the Half-Life 2 game (16 in all), each with special abilities, etc. It is actually a pretty good FPS meets DOTA game, but rough around the edges...good enough for some unique fun at LAN parties.

I don't see how this could be done in ns without alot more player types to choose from; unless you just made them up.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Well marine VS marine would be cool were you could have a blue team and a red team
  • MangoManMangoMan Join Date: 2003-12-28 Member: 24813Members
    Id love to see classic NS Marine vs Marine or Alien vs Alien.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember awhile back, someone made a thread wanting to mod a WW2 game similar to CoH into the engine. I would love to see that. Remember, you're not just restricted to using NS2 art assets.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I can think of at least a dozen 'hero' variations using existing NS2 models, by changing model size/textures...picture SkulkZilla vs Mininos, or Chubbs the Hungry (gorge model with devour) vs. Mechatron (exo marine). There are plenty of combinations of abilities, between NS1-2, for a good start on unique hero characters

If a DOTA mod does start to take off, I'm sure the community could assist in providing extra models for new heroes
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1730020:date=Oct 1 2009, 06:26 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 1 2009, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can think of at least a dozen 'hero' variations using existing NS2 models, by changing model size/textures...picture SkulkZilla vs Mininos, or Chubbs the Hungry (gorge model with devour) vs. Mechatron (exo marine). There are plenty of combinations of abilities, between NS1-2, for a good start on unique hero characters

If a DOTA mod does start to take off, I'm sure the community could assist in providing extra models for new heroes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again as I pointed out, anyone can bring their own art assets into the engine, hence the "model viewer."
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    From this interview (http://natural-selection.pl/viewtopic.php?t=2628) with Max, he said that:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... To this end, our "engine" is actually composed of two layers. The lower level is the bigger of the two and contains very general functionality that any game or 3D application would need. The upper layer is what we call the "shooter engine" and ties that general code into a first-person shooter engine. To complete the picture, on top of that is the game layer, written in Lua, that has all of the Natural Selection 2 specific code. For future games, we'd replace the top or top two layers, but maintain the lowest layer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This brings up three questions:
    1. How much the LUA layer do?
    2. If there are things that LUA can't do, will they release a SDK for the shooter layer or will it be possible to get at that with only an engine license?
    3. Will the LUA layer be open-source? So will the modifications that people make using only the LUA layer have their code viewable and editable by everyone? I understand that Natural Selection 2's game code will be publicly available, but if I am doing a project for free I would like to at least maintain ownership of what I did (until I decide I am done with the project, than I release the inner workings to everyone).

I really want to do a mod for NS2, but I just wish we would get more information about the tools and what is actually possible.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    Noone mentioned Tower Defence?? Opponents could be reskinned marines (masc, exo-skelo, vanilla) and aliens..

It wouldnt have to be something lazily trown together, but give it alittle tie-in backstory ala Peggle with a thought out system for upgrading towers.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729997:date=Oct 1 2009, 05:30 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Oct 1 2009, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since it should be easy to come up with new gameplay modes using Lua, I'm curious what types of gameplay people would be interested in playing (aside from vanilla NS2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -A 1.04 remake (+ ns_nothing) with the same gameplay but a jp (cost)fix ^^
    -some kind of tower defense or survival

Edit: Epidemic was faster with tower defence :D
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    Things like Tower Defense and copying the custom maps of Warcraft 3 does not seem like a good use of coding time. They won't be good as the Warcraft 3 versions and if you want a prettier version of those maps, buy Starcraft 2 which will have a rocking editor.
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730034:date=Oct 1 2009, 07:11 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Oct 1 2009, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Things like Tower Defense and copying the custom maps of Warcraft 3 does not seem like a good use of coding time. They won't be good as the Warcraft 3 versions and if you want a prettier version of those maps, buy Starcraft 2 which will have a rocking editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, but man it would SOOO be worth it having a Plants Vs. Zombies game in there with NS2 themes and concepts in my mind. :D

Only problem is, do you want to be a Rine comm, dropping turrets etc, or an alien comm, dropping chambers?

Hmm...
    ummm, I mentioned tower defense in the OP...so i win :P
  • KleenexKleenex Join Date: 2009-09-28 Member: 68896Members
    edited October 2009
    A simple re-skin theme or even a deeper coding of an Aliens Vs. Predator type atmosphere and weapons. Someone did a fantastic mod like this in the original NS. Every Kharaa was replaced with appropriate variants be it standard alien, predalien, queen guards ect (I forget what the gorge was) and of course the marines packed their corresponding gear.

The nice thing about NS2 would be the added benefit of flamethrowers and perhaps even the introduction of some kind of similar acid like attack. Smart guns/radar tracking is another possibility probably easy enough to manage if one were to cannibalize existing code.

****I think another cool way to go about an AVP mod would be to cut down the hives from 3 to 1. Instead focusing on inherently stronger defenses while deepening the atmopsheric tension of actually entering the hive room (which lets face it wasn't that scary in NS), the way this might be combated so the marines aren't overwhelmed would be to give them multiple random start points converse to how aliens originally were****

An another note;

a queen commander, as someone has mentioned, is of course another obvious good idea. I think the gorge would have to be retrofitted a little to better serve as a maintenance support class for assaults and defense (moreso than they already are) but I think the implementation could be mostly seamless.

The ideas are really spinning. I didn't fully appreciate how effective built in modding tools can be for a FPS/RTS engine. If it is easy as advertised than sky is the limit.
  • mXedmXed Join Date: 2007-09-12 Member: 62260Members
    edited October 2009
    Personally I would just like to see different kinds of game modes in ns ... like co-op missions, restoring power to a map so you would be able to turn the security systems back on etc .. something a little more story driven. Or maybe just to make a regular ns map a little more dynamic, being able to "shut down" parts of the map for a period of time for strategic value, or you are fighting against the clock to reach an objective. Just general stuff to get team play going and adrenalin pumping.
  • KleenexKleenex Join Date: 2009-09-28 Member: 68896Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730076:date=Oct 1 2009, 09:03 PM:name=mXed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mXed @ Oct 1 2009, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I would just like to see different kinds of game modes in ns ... like co-op missions, restoring power to a map so you would be able to turn the security systems back on etc .. something a little more story driven. Or maybe just to make a regular ns map a little more dynamic, being able to "shut down" parts of the map for a period of time for strategic value, or you are fighting against the clock to reach an objective. Just general stuff to get team play going and adrenalin pumping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think thats a really good idea.

Expanded objective modes- co-op AND online- alien OR marine. This one is a winner for sure
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    An alternative objective to "Kill their respawn points" would be nice.

I'd suggest CTF as one such alternative, but I realize how one-sided that could get. The idea's there, though.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I'm still trying to work out the details on some sort of 'last man standing' game for NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1730052:date=Oct 1 2009, 07:45 PM:name=Kleenex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kleenex @ Oct 1 2009, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a queen commander, as someone has mentioned, is of course another obvious good idea. I think the gorge would have to be retrofitted a little to better serve as a maintenance support class for assaults and defense (moreso than they already are) but I think the implementation could be mostly seamless.

The ideas are really spinning. I didn't fully appreciate how effective built in modding tools can be for a FPS/RTS engine. If it is easy as advertised than sky is the limit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually the devs already planned out that there will be an Alien Commander so basically this idea is useless.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about a Left4Dead meets Natural Selection?

4 Marines
    vs.
    4 Aliens (Skuls, Fade, Gorge, Lerk, Onos as special infected)

Infected Marines as the Zombie horde. (Some kind of alien parasites made them crazy)
    Infected Marines instead of Skulks because i dont think anyone could make good skul bots.

Lots of scenarios come to my mind :D
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1730113:date=Oct 2 2009, 12:21 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Oct 2 2009, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about a Left4Dead meets Natural Selection?

4 Marines
    vs.
    4 Aliens (Skuls, Fade, Gorge, Lerk, Onos as special infected)

Infected Marines as the Zombie horde. (Some kind of alien parasites made them crazy)
    Infected Marines instead of Skulks because i dont think anyone could make good skul bots.

Lots of scenarios come to my mind :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That actually sounds pretty kick ass, onos = tank! RUN!!!
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    how bout defend the siege cannon from whatever lol
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1730116:date=Oct 1 2009, 07:17 PM:name=minibanana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minibanana @ Oct 1 2009, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how bout defend the siege cannon from whatever lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    siege cannon tug of war (like in TF2)

edit: Gorge hockey!
  • EpiclandingEpiclanding Join Date: 2009-09-30 Member: 68913Members
    i like the idea of coop, theres a lot of different types of missions that could be created
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Will LUA have low level access to player control and physics?

aka: can bhopping be implemented?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2009
    Cooperative mode where the marines have to go into a variety of alien infested buildings in a large map to recover components to upgrade their base and eventually call in evacuation. Death would mean you spawn somewhere out in the level and can either try to work your own way back to base, or you can get picked up by other marines.

Would be nice if it could have vehicles and RPG-esque upgrades for your marine. The more 'dungeons' (alien infested bases) you raid for stuff the more guns and ammo will be available at your base. It would also feature things like random alien attacks on the base, and randomised layouts for the dungeons, the emphasis would be on finding your way through the base, completing objectives (powering up doors, defeating alien hives to re-power rooms, and finding things like siege guns and weapons in the base) as well as atmosphere, with groups of marines looking out for aliens and the levels being much darker than normal NS.

Sort of like left4dead except with more of an alien movie feel, and rather than hordes of zombies you have ambushing aliens, and more progression as the game goes on.

I'm actually more interested in mods than I am the game itself, NS has never been hugely fun for me because it's multiplayer and that gets in the way of the atmosphere and cinematic elements, whereas a cooperative game allows for the computer to take a beating for the fun of the player.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1730159:date=Oct 2 2009, 05:40 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Oct 2 2009, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1730159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will LUA have low level access to player control and physics?

aka: can bhopping be implemented?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From my understanding, yup