New article on Gamasutra

2»

Comments

• SlunkWranglerSlunkWrangler Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67765Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hey guys, long time lurker here. Finally decided to poke my head in and say my mind is completely blown by the amount of info that is being released today. I just have one request. Being a college graduate student, its very tough to make time for something other than studying and working. So lately I have been unable to play the games I use to and have had less time to frequent the websites I like to visit (this being mainly one of them). I was hoping you could maybe DELAY all new announcements, updates, blogs, development tools, reveal videos, and the release of the game until I have finished my schooling. If the game were released sooner, I think I would fail all of my classes, please don't do this to me. I would really appreciate it, as I did preorder the special edition package, I feel like I have some say on the releasing decisions you guys make.

Sincerely,
    Can patiently wait for your game to be released fan.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1734596:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:58 PM:name=SlunkWrangler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SlunkWrangler @ Oct 30 2009, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys, long time lurker here. Finally decided to poke my head in and say my mind is completely blown by the amount of info that is being released today. I just have one request. Being a college graduate student, its very tough to make time for something other than studying and working. So lately I have been unable to play the games I use to and have had less time to frequent the websites I like to visit (this being mainly one of them). I was hoping you could maybe DELAY all new announcements, updates, blogs, development tools, reveal videos, and the release of the game until I have finished my schooling. If the game were released sooner, I think I would fail all of my classes, please don't do this to me. I would really appreciate it, as I did preorder the special edition package, I feel like I have some say on the releasing decisions you guys make.

Sincerely,
    Can patiently wait for your game to be released fan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Natural Selection's better for your Future!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ~5775 preorders, pretty impresive! gratz!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1734555:date=Oct 31 2009, 04:31 AM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Oct 31 2009, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're going to multiple screens then are you suggesting that we'll be getting Gabe Newell as well on that date? After all, they list him with a descriptive quote earlier as well. Please.

Obviously the Natural Selection II was the name of the product. We all know that. There was nothing suggesting that that's what was happening in Fall 2009. Hell, it could be just another short movie.. in fact, we already had a short movie.

So these people whining about "Well they promised!" need to try remedial reading comprehension. They gave a date. They promised nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please do not start that kind of argument. The words were "Natural Selection II - Fall 09". Now the OBVIOUS assumption from this is that the game is coming then. You can be as nit-picky as you want, but that is how the general audience interprets it, and rightly so. If the creators of such an advertisement didn't want it to be interpreted in such a way, then they should have worded it differently.

While I don't encourage whining about how they "promised us", it would be alot easier to just understand and appreciate that they would have to delay the game, other than starting this futile argument in which you try to convince everyone that they never set a release date in the first place.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734570:date=Oct 30 2009, 12:59 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Oct 30 2009, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Release dates are a sticky subject among developers but we definitely did not lie. We'll be releasing a lot more info about our progress and schedule in a few hours on our blog.

If anyone wants to cancel their pre-order and get their money back just write me and I'll take care of it for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blog, you say? YES PLEASE.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734533:date=Oct 30 2009, 10:34 AM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Oct 30 2009, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a company dude, I am pretty sure they fully understand what they can finish at what date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're totally right. I've been involved with incorporating several companies and they definitely give you superpowers once you're done. Premonitions, telepathy, and astral projection. Everyone working at companies becomes infallible, too! You've clearly seen The Office?
  • Mozes540Mozes540 Join Date: 2009-10-19 Member: 69088Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734555:date=Oct 30 2009, 06:31 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Oct 30 2009, 06:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're going to multiple screens then are you suggesting that we'll be getting Gabe Newell as well on that date? After all, they list him with a descriptive quote earlier as well. Please.

Obviously the Natural Selection II was the name of the product. We all know that. There was nothing suggesting that that's what was happening in Fall 2009. Hell, it could be just another short movie.. in fact, we already had a short movie.

So these people whining about "Well they promised!" need to try remedial reading comprehension. They gave a date. They promised nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you joking? Of course they were implying the release was going to be in fall 09. Hell I'm a consumer and I figured that is what they meant, and I imagine i'm in the majority. If they didn't intend to make it look like the game was being released in fall 09 then they sure did misguide many people. That's not the case though, they believed it would be released in fall 09 so stop acting like you're a lawyer. I have no problem with the delay, it's almost the norm in the industry now a days. Just don't start acting like that fall 09 meant something else. Lol another short video clip? Yeah right...you must be new to gaming, or just a kid.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I am just going to step in here and make this crystal clear:

Games get delayed.

Shocking, I know? Now please, drop this line of pointless debate.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Valve time anyone ? :D
  • nNyxxnNyxx Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26046Members, Constellation
    Valve Time? Umm what?

They missed the FIRST RELEASE DATE THEY EVER GAVE, not Every release date.

This is normal for developers.
  • SlunkWranglerSlunkWrangler Join Date: 2009-06-09 Member: 67765Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, I have years of experience in pre-ordering games and awaiting their releases. I have gone through many delays and the such. Ask me anything.

I went ahead in time and answered your questions already. The answer is: Patience.

EDIT: Everyone should refer back to my first post. I should be working on an essay right now, but I'm glued to these forums. I hope the next blog is about a delay, so I can get back to work.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734533:date=Oct 30 2009, 07:34 PM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Oct 30 2009, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a company dude, I am pretty sure they fully understand what they can finish at what date.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Delays are a fairly common problem in software development in general.
    Few project finish on time, and relatively many even fail completely.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734616:date=Oct 30 2009, 03:28 PM:name=Seker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seker @ Oct 30 2009, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Valve time anyone ? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

However, Fall from Heaven 2 was able to pump out content on schedule. Then again, while it is quite the ambitious project, it's not quite the same scale as NS2.

So, while yes projects sometimes miss the deadlines/get pushed back (*cough* EA titles *cough* Activision *cough* Final Fantasy *cough*) it is possible to finish.

Frankly, I'm not concerned. I don't need my money back, and I'm sure I'll enjoy NS2. =p
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Did I hear someone yelling "Duke ?" haha :D

ps valve time > <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time" target="_blank">http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time</a>
  • nNyxxnNyxx Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26046Members, Constellation
    edited October 2009
    Lets try to be less angry. - KFDM
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734623:date=Oct 30 2009, 03:35 PM:name=SlunkWrangler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SlunkWrangler @ Oct 30 2009, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys, I have years of experience in pre-ordering games and awaiting their releases. I have gone through many delays and the such. Ask me anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How much was your pre-order for Duke Nukem Forever and what would that amount be today if you invested it at 6% APY monthly compounded interest? Would you have beaten inflation?

Clearly people are only so passionate due to their impression with the quality of work on the first NS, and I believe the second will be even better so I'm happy to be patient. Besides, it allows more time to get some friends in on the $20 pre-order :)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited October 2009
    no no, i think that all those people wanting there game now should get it right now - in its unfinished state, so they can play an unfinished product. (and be banned from the final release version!)

And then everyone that is patient enough to wait like a normal person can play the superior version on release :)