Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS 7th Anniversary, Progress and first NS2 Screenshots

Comments

• 0dy0dy Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25788Members
    you know its funny i was thinking back about my preorder. at that time i was playing a beta of another game, heroes of newerth. i liked the game and all but when they said they were now taking pre-orders i just didnt want to pay. NS2 doesn't even have an alpha out yet but i didn't even hesitate to put my money down for it

the game heroes of newerth was based off of (Dota) and NS were both games i played for free, but for some reason i stand behind my NS so much more/feel like i will enjoy it so much more.

i think the other reason i half didnt believe the skulk screenshot was because of the HDR lighting. the fact that you can see a grainy path of light through the air instead of jus the objects it hits is somethign im just not used to seeing in live gameplay. that being said it looks phenominal.

now my few opinions:

1. i dont like how narrow skulks mouth is, it makes me think the skulk is more like a greyhound. i think the skulk should make you more think of a pitbull than a greyhound. idk, i may be dumb
    2. cut height of lmg in half and move it about 1/4th to 1/3rd more off screen (closer to the marines shoulder i guess) and i think its good.
    3. for comparison in NS1 skulk was maybe up to a marines knee caps right? in NS2 so far it looks like skulk is dam near up to the waist of the marine. i think that is too big by comparison.
    4. i think the lerk looks ok in size
    5. if thats an lmg i cant wait to see what an hmg is, oh man.
    6. volumetric flame thrower? (im just saying, will we finally get one :D)
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Not the in-<b>game</b> screenshots I was hoping to see at this point, but still decent, I guess.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1734887:date=Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you us not tell when you will release the alpha?
    I mean the alpha can cointain just 1-2 Maps and so the Community can put the maps to the acid test (test it)

<!--quoteo(post=1734781:date=Oct 31 2009, 01:26 AM:name=TempesT487)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TempesT487 @ Oct 31 2009, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to be spoiled brat but I think a lerk reveal is in order!

I want to see that bad boy up close.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The lerk looks like a bird ;)

<!--quoteo(post=1734809:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:11 AM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Oct 31 2009, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->P.S Best $39.99 I'll ever spend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes me too!
    But i hope UWE will update their games with great updates like Valve did with Team Fortress 2!
    I hope the UWE team let the community translate their game before they release it.
    Because if new player play this game in english and they can't read english very well, its much easier for them.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2009
    Lookin' nice, a few quibbles though:

The stark difference in texture detail between the viewmodels and the environment is a bit jarring. There's glistening, photorealistic drool on the skulk teeth, but a rather bland texture on the wall of the vent behind the pipes. Likewise for the marine's gun.

Additionally, there's a bit too much fog in that marine shot for my tastes. I don't know if that's just a particularly foggy room, or if it's typical, but that stark line of fog about 6m ahead of the marine is a bit off-putting.

Also, that lerk is HUEJ.

Otherwise, drool all 'round.

--Scythe--
  • TorrasqueTorrasque Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57661Members
    That looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the update :)

Like some other people here, I think it's a bit disturbing that the inside-view of the skulk looks so close to the ground (like NS1), but from the marines perspectives, they look actually quite big/tall.

I can't wait to play it :)
  • vadorvador Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23682Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2009
    Yahouuuuu !!! Amazing, crazy, fantastic..... I need the game, it's realy better than i tought.
    Congratulations guys, let's go now !!!!! :) :) :)

I'm really happy to see your work.

PS: where is my pretty beautiful gorge :p
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    "Almost all of this is from scratch and it's all designed to run on low end hardware and be cross-platform."

Seriously? And it looks like that in the screenshots? Whoa!
  • HendaHenda Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31818Members, Constellation
    When I first saw the beginning of the ns 1 trailer, i thought "Maybe one day NS will look like this. olololol no, thats not possible!!!!11". I was wrong! It looks that good now! And maybe even better. Thank you and congratulations!
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Nice, can you get us more pictures? It's so awesome to see ingame screenshots that just these two don't satisfy the insatiable lust. Shouldn't be too hard to take a couple more printscreens? Please? Anything?
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    I really like these first screenshots and I'm also a fan of minimalistic gameplay.

What about replacing the crosshairs with laserpointer/laserdot?

The skulks really look a bit big, but to judge this we have to play the actual game.

The FPS gun really looks a bit big, but the proportions of the gun compared to the second marine who's standing infront looks right though.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <drool>I'm sold just by the attention to the bite-cam detail. Beautiful muzzleflashes too.</drool>

I'm real glad about the provided information alongside the media release, cant wait to start creating maps.
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
    I agree with everyone that this is damn cool! However does anyone else feel that the gun model/skulk models are way too big?
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Absolutely amazing!

I set the Marine view as my desktop picture. =)
  • Ah_forget_itAh_forget_it Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11331Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Nice work guys, you have stirred memories and feelings long dormant :)
  • brechtosbrechtos Belgium Join Date: 2008-04-18 Member: 64100Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Happy B-day ns :)

Awsome update on the status.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1734940:date=Oct 31 2009, 11:34 AM:name=haymo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (haymo @ Oct 31 2009, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with everyone that this is damn cool! However does anyone else feel that the gun model/skulk models are way too big?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too big comparing to what?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734938:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:24 PM:name=Kradath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kradath @ Oct 31 2009, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about replacing the crosshairs with laserpointer/laserdot?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    edited October 2009
    <a href="http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg" target="_blank">http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg</a>
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well it's been officially the 31st of October for 7 and a half hours here. HAPPY 7th ANNIVERSARY NATURAL SELECTION!!!
  • RiNgORiNgO Join Date: 2008-10-30 Member: 65334Members
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1734802:date=Oct 31 2009, 02:05 AM:name=vsync)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vsync @ Oct 31 2009, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think you are gonna be able to disable it. it directly affects the game balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But then, the LMG muzzleflash was bloody enormous in v1.00. Everybody hated it, so it got sized down. Similarly the first-person skulk biting animation became much faster, with the teeth being closed only for an instant.
    Of course, they disabled cl_viewmodel 0 at the same time...
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Happy UWE's Day! :p
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You might change the end of the trailer "fall 2009" the game won't be out..
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    Marines with guns [x]

Skulks being shot at [x]

Live action [-]

Either way it was very interesting to look at. The skulks in the vent remind me a lot of ns_caged. Can't remember the closest hive off from the marine start anymore been way to long. Just remember looking at another skulk for the very first time on that map and going this game is absolutely awesome. Which then lead to a 24 hour play session. Not many games have grabbed a hold of me like ns did it had so much re playability.

I remember inventing jet pack rushes in 1.04. Then tweaking it recycling arms lab to get jet packs even faster lol. Lot of fun times were had in h2o armslab etc.

Then at some point I think hawthorne started doing electricity node rush area lock down. Those kind of strats were just unbelievably fun and it took a while to figure out what worked.

Hopefully ns2 brings that kind of variety where every day every game you can have some sort of different outcome due to the many options.
  • kickerkicker Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62397Members, Constellation
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    Now, after 9 pages of this thread, I wonder if marine screenshot has powergrid on or off. It looks lightly lit but at the same time kinda dark as the fog seems to start at the end of hallway. So does the powergrid support this image with electiricity?
  • CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
    Awesome, really awesome!
    I just think the LMG is way too big for a simple LMG, and the aliens are too big compared to NS.
    In the marine screenshot it looks like the lerk is almost the size of a marine, but flying, and the skulk is almost at the marines waist! If the lerk is really this big I think it will have different role then.
    But I can't say much, it's just two screenshots, have to wait for more to really see if the aliens are really that big.

But other than that, you guys are doing a really great work there!
  • CenturionCenturion Join Date: 2005-07-15 Member: 55987Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1734970:date=Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM:name=The_Flying_Fish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Flying_Fish @ Oct 31 2009, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1734970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg" target="_blank">http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6173/ns2bettersize.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sry for the double post, but i didn't saw this before.
    That's exactly the size I think the aliens should look! :P
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Oh fantastic article, and very much needed. I've kept a close eye on your developments, when you founded Unknown Worlds to getting the funds to develop and hire people, I remember thinking NS2 may never happen. But it's amazing to see the road you've all come, and seeing those 2 screenshots, you've all really worked hard on this amazing project. I'll have been around the NS community for 7 years this coming December, and I still regard NS as one of the best online shooters ever made. Weldone on NS2 so far, looks amazing.

I've not yet preordered because I'd rather do it through Steam, but I also know you'd earn less for each game sold through Steam than you would on your website. Hmm, what to do...
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1735007:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:29 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Oct 31 2009, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've not yet preordered because I'd rather do it through Steam, but I also know you'd earn less for each game sold through Steam than you would on your website. Hmm, what to do...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm just curious, but what are the benefits of buying it through steam?
    They have told us that it will be incorporated with Steamworks so everyone can see the tab-overlay, friends interface and all that snazz.
    The only thing I can see would be different is the provider and who's responsible when it comes to asking for support and I guess patching.
    But is patching really such a convenient thing that buyers are willing to pay less to UWE because Steam have to get a piece of the cake?
    And I'm fairly sure that UWE will find ways to distribute the patches anyway.