Idea: Country flags

SypherZSypherZ Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20639Members, Constellation
Hi!

Now, i dont know if this has been posted before or something, if that is the case, i appologise :)

Anyway, i thought about an idea for the game, what about having your country flag, as en emblem or something on the armor in game?
Im from Sweden, so if i join a game, my character would show a Swedish flag emblem on the shoulder.

What do you guys think of this? IPs can be looked up and automaticly show where people are from, ive seen many HL2 servers having this on the score menu.

I think it would personilse the characters just a little bit :P

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When its showed on the stats its ok.

But i think it would be a confounder ingame.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    It would be better to let players customize SMALL parts of the armor... atleast I think that this would rock.

Ps. the above has been discussed already, im gonna look for that thread now.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I'm not even sure if I want everyone to know if their fellow marine speaks the same language as they do. It easily creates a mess when people switch to their native languages.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    There are few things more disruptive than two people who won't stop blabbering in dutch over voicecomm when nobody else on the entire server understands a word of what they're saying.
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Good Point.

I think self paintable armor parts like a custom spray logo would be nice :D
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?! Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    I think it's annoying because every time I join the Argentinean server which does have a plugin to show your country of origin, people won't stop jabbering about "americano" or "imperialisto" or whatever to me.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Such a Feature just does a small line of racism and takes your anonymity away.

On every three Server is equaly one idiot that flames you because of your Nationality and the History of your Country.

Space Nazis anyone?
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736024:date=Nov 4 2009, 07:24 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Nov 4 2009, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I think it's annoying because every time I join the Argentinean server which does have a plugin to show your country of origin, people won't stop jabbering about "americano" or "imperialisto" or whatever to me.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Ignore them? As a german, do you think I care if some stupid american kids call germans nazis? There will always be idiots, don't let them destroy your fun!
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1736024:date=Nov 4 2009, 01:24 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Nov 4 2009, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's annoying because every time I join the Argentinean server which does have a plugin to show your country of origin, people won't stop jabbering about "americano" or "imperialisto" or whatever to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Guess that makes you a "Gringo"? Lol
    <!--quoteo(post=1736037:date=Nov 4 2009, 10:07 AM:name=Depot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Depot @ Nov 4 2009, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guess that makes you a "Gringo"? Lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha there you guys see what i meant.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I like being anonymous more than being able to customize my armor :o
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Customizing my armor would be a nice touch, but I can already sense reams of servers having draconian rules on what is and is not okay. "YOUR ARMOR SAYS A BAD WORD :<b>(</b>".
  • Wolv3rn3Wolv3rn3 Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26183Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the Idea of custom armor is not bad. maybe only a small part on the shoulder or chestplate. Only what you need to do is to add a picture into a "custom" directory and this picture will be on your armor.

But I think, there will be a problem with this: not that all players on the server running around with your "pic". Spraylogos you spray on the map and than it's there, it doesn't matter which IP or Player or ID or whatever sprayed it on the wall. But a custom picture on your, and only your armor is a problem ^^
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1736024:date=Nov 4 2009, 12:24 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Underwhelmed @ Nov 4 2009, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's annoying because every time I join the Argentinean server which does have a plugin to show your country of origin, people won't stop jabbering about "americano" or "imperialisto" or whatever to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

typical americano, complaining as usual.. lol.. I'm just kidding, I'm american.

I'm not sure if not having this feature will deter that treatment. I'm not sure if having it will intensify it.

Though, I am sure it will add accuracy to such jabs. As presumptions on ethnicity/nationality are largely relative to latency, as I have experienced. I'm all for customized insignias. Flags sound like a good default insignia to start with.