What is the hierarchy in Buddhism?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
Is there an agreed upon list of what ranks above which? The idea is human is higher than like insect, right? What about cats and dogs. Which is greater? How does anyone know which is greater? Is it possible to think the opposite. Since enlightenment is the ultimate end, right, then would it at all makse sence to just think that the smaller you get, the better? Like in the end, is a single-cell bacteria close to dissapearing? Is a single-cell bacteria a form of reincarnation? Can you come back as that if you are bad or something? Then I inquire how does a single-cell bacteria be good or bad? In what way? Isn't the idea of Buddhism that the more good you are, the better you come back as? So lets say you become something that only has instinct and doesn't have deep thought and stuff like humans. Will all say ants behave a certain way because it is universal due to how it is created genetically? Then how does one ant rise up? Or is it that once you live as an ant, you automatically rise up, as in you can't do really bad stuff as an ant and go down on the scale when one reincarnates? Am I wrong in my assumptions or questioning or line of reasoning? If you know about Buddhism, please share your thoughts.

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    You're either a really good spam bot... or a overly ambitious NS2 fan...

Slow down. It looks like at least half of your posts are new empty threads, and none of them seem to have been very well thought out.
  • ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
    edited November 2009
    I used to like NS for Half-Life 1 and played it alot. Currently, I do not play online computer games in the sence that I have been in the past with NS. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Steam and Half-Life 2 is compatible with Mac (unless perhaps also running Windows or something like that). I have a fast Macbook Pro.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    So this is what happens to a person after the get a Mac.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Hierarchy goes skulk -> gorge -> lerk -> fade -> onos

<i>Ohyesijustdid</i>
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    All I know is that people with Obama-related sigs, avatars, and names are usually under people with 'xXx' or 'wolf' somewhere in their names, or with silhouettes of snipers in their sigs.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Don't ever take whatever religion says seriously. Buddhism came about centuries ago so people didn't know much back then. Just take it that to be a human being in the next life is the best and anything else is not so good. There is no real hierarchy in buddhism, only a general idea. And generally, at that time, people assumed that if you were to be reincarnated as a dog, you would have the mind of a human in the body of a dog, or something like that.

I know its allows for lots of contradictions but I don't think the person who came up with this idea would think that centuries later, a guy called Obamanism would nitpick at the idea.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1738472:date=Nov 20 2009, 11:01 PM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 20 2009, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there an agreed upon list of what ranks above which? The idea is human is higher than like insect, right? What about cats and dogs. Which is greater? How does anyone know which is greater? Is it possible to think the opposite. Since enlightenment is the ultimate end, right, then would it at all makse sence to just think that the smaller you get, the better? Like in the end, is a single-cell bacteria close to dissapearing? Is a single-cell bacteria a form of reincarnation? Can you come back as that if you are bad or something? Then I inquire how does a single-cell bacteria be good or bad? In what way? Isn't the idea of Buddhism that the more good you are, the better you come back as? So lets say you become something that only has instinct and doesn't have deep thought and stuff like humans. Will all say ants behave a certain way because it is universal due to how it is created genetically? Then how does one ant rise up? Or is it that once you live as an ant, you automatically rise up, as in you can't do really bad stuff as an ant and go down on the scale when one reincarnates? Am I wrong in my assumptions or questioning or line of reasoning? If you know about Buddhism, please share your thoughts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/5/8/6580802b98c1c18bddea32fdec31b563.png" target="_blank">http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/5/8/658...2fdec31b563.png</a>