Troubleshooting Constant Crashing

dedgeckodedgecko Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69511Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...this sucks...</div>I'm curious to know what hardware people are running, with minimal to no crashing. I'm incredibly frustrated with the constant crashing even in an incredibly simple environment - ie small corridor with unscaled props and no lots added.

Currently running Vista 32, 2GB RAM (no errors in memtest), 8800 GT (just installed latest drivers 195.62, though I've had the same problems on 191.07).

Any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• dedgeckodedgecko Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69511Members
    Well, I think I'm on to something.

I was playing in the NVIDIA control panel, changed a bunch of stuff (turning off "thread-optimization" even though I have a quad-core, and changing several other items), and I've been able to go more than 3-5 commands without a crash.

I will continue testing this out and let you know what I find out.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I'm running the editor on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520, C2D 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT, Vista 32bit) and it crashes very rarely. My drivers are a few months old. Most of my crashes come from a Ctrl-Z undo frenzy, but other than that, it's very stable for me **knocks on wood**
  • dedgeckodedgecko Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69511Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1741099:date=Nov 27 2009, 06:58 PM:name=dedgecko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dedgecko @ Nov 27 2009, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1741099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I think I'm on to something.

I was playing in the NVIDIA control panel, changed a bunch of stuff (turning off "thread-optimization" even though I have a quad-core, and changing several other items), and I've been able to go more than 3-5 commands without a crash.

I will continue testing this out and let you know what I find out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, good news and bad. I'm still crashing when placing repositioning props (not doing any scaling of them as of yet), however it's been significantly reduced since this morning / afternoon. I've turned off a series of options in the Nvidia control panel such as "thread optimization", "multi-display / mixed GPU acceleration", as well as reduced nearly every quality setting possible and it seems to have a positive effect. I've currently added / removed over 10 props and haven't crashed yet *knock on wood*. UWE got about 50 crash reports from me today, hopefully they'll have something fun to pick apart.