Mark Twain of our century?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">Smart, witty, funny, awesome, exciting writer?</div>Dan Brown has had 2 of his books adapted into movies. He has written 5 great books. His books are exciting and suspensful. What is your favorate Dan Brown book?

Comments

• AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Trolling still fun?
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    I'd say my favorite Dan Brown novel is the one where the hero finds some secretive, enigmatic item that is known only to a select Illuminati. He beholds the item with great interest, and after much deliberation, defeats the item's lock and opens it. Inside was the most amazing thing the hero has ever seen...

At a different place in the story, a random supporting character is probably indulging a slight character flaw or advancing a boring subplot. This discourse goes on for at least fourteen pages.

Inside the object was none other than a <b><i><u>picture of a rose</u></i></b>.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I really loved that book of his with the shadowy, sinister assassin guy who was hunting the main character, inexplicably evaded at every turn by luck and mild cunning and eventually defeated.

--Scythe--
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    I think Stephanie Myer is one of the true great authors of our era.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747533:date=Jan 16 2010, 02:12 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jan 16 2010, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Stephanie Myer is one of the true great authors of our era.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

iLol'd
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1747528:date=Jan 16 2010, 03:19 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jan 16 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really loved that book of his with the shadowy, sinister assassin guy who was hunting the main character, inexplicably evaded at every turn by luck and mild cunning and eventually defeated.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about the one where the high-ranking and trusted character turns out to be a traitor? Or the one where the main character falls in love with the stereotypical love interest character?
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747533:date=Jan 16 2010, 02:12 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jan 16 2010, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Stephanie Myer is one of the true great authors of our era.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    don't forget Christopher Paolini
    that boy is a genius
  • CrystalSnakeCrystalSnake Join Date: 2002-01-27 Member: 110Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747511:date=Jan 16 2010, 06:19 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Jan 16 2010, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dan Brown has had 2 of his books adapted into movies<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.7fluidoz.com/albinocode/" target="_blank">http://www.7fluidoz.com/albinocode/</a>
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Dan Brown is hardly the Mark Twain of the century. His writing is not particularly good. The only thing he has got going for him is the super twisting and winding plot that flips on its head ten times before coming to a conclusion that I don't really think is that great. And he stirred up stuff with christianity and all that, which i think is really gimmicky.

And he's only written a couple of books. Not impressed. Just as good as any other thriller writer out there.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    I find that trolls on the internet are the Mills and Boon of the unstimulated mind. Every time their utterances appear on message boards simple minds or.gasm in gaumless frenzy, while everyone else yawns.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Speaking of Dan Brown, I watched angels and demons a week ago and something struck me as silly. The antimatter container thing had a wireless camera pointed at it that was stolen by the bad guys, apparently this served no other reason then to taunt the good guys or whatever. Now my confusion is why the good guys didn't just use a directional antenna tuned to the camera wireless frequency to walk themselves right over to it. The FCC does this all the time to find people who are transmitting pirate radio and such, it's not a new idea. No need for all these symbolism puzzles and things, just a bit of technology and that whole movie could have been over in 20 minutes.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DanBrowned" target="_blank">This is very relevant.</a>
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I think the main reason his books appeal is because he ends every chapter with some small or large discovery in the story which is only explained or told in the next chapter, then he writes between a 100 and 300 chapters so every 2-3 pages give some excitement.