The Future of Television For The New American Century

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">3D LED TVS</div>Do you think 3D televisions will catch on? Avatar, My Bloody Valentine 3D, anyone? And will the 3D tvs be more than 1080p? The upcomming RED EPIC camera may be able to shoot 28k resolution. That is definately more than 1080P. Who wants a 28k resolution 3D tv for the consumer market for under $10,000 USD and up to 32 feet screen size by the end of 2020? Do you think Blu-Ray can handle such data, or will there need a new optical media such as HD DVD Extreme or something that can store up to 10 tb of data?

Comments

• PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2010
    Oh yeah, he's back!

Hey Pipi, this might be the trojan you've spotted.

HE IS HACKING INTO OUR BRAINZ!!!1112
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I'm pretty stoked for Lassie 3D - in 1080q
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    it's no Skippy 3D
    or even flipper jsut think how epic those water effects will be, just think..
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Beyond epic will make your eyes bleed...
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    3D TVs are discriminatory against all my friends with sight in only one eye.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I'm practically blind in my left eye. Screw all of you and your fraking depth perception!
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    hate to post almost on-topic in one of these threads, but... I've been tempted by one of these monitors: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824859001&cm_re=3d-_-24-859-001-_-Product" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-001-_-Product</a> - I wonder if they're as cool as they sound.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    I wouldn't advise getting one of those yet, as they only have a 5 ms response time so far. You have to keep in mind that the glasses alternate images to your eyes, so any refresh rate on the monitor will effectively be halved in 3D mode
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I tried to watch Lassie 3D, but once I realized Lassie was just a metaphor of Adam Smith's Invisible Hand of the free market my brain started to hurt and I had to put on my tinfoil hat(made out of aluminum foil).
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750020:date=Jan 31 2010, 08:43 PM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Jan 31 2010, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3D TVs are discriminatory against all my friends with sight in only one eye.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /signed ...unfortunately ;/
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I sort of work in this industry.. sort of.. and we see almost every provider with 3D projects in development. Most LCD TVs will be 3D ready by end-of-year and the extra cost of production is tiny. I personally don't see it taking off, with a slower ramp-up than HD has had, but I thought I'd mention that 'the biz' is taking it very seriously.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750064:date=Feb 1 2010, 04:22 AM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Feb 1 2010, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried to watch Lassie 3D, but once I realized Lassie was just a metaphor of Adam Smith's Invisible Hand of the free market my brain started to hurt and I had to put on my tinfoil hat(made out of aluminum foil).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tin and aluminium are two different metals. Why are tin foil hats made out of aluminium?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750059:date=Feb 1 2010, 02:52 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Feb 1 2010, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't advise getting one of those yet, as they only have a 5 ms response time so far. You have to keep in mind that the glasses alternate images to your eyes, so any refresh rate on the monitor will effectively be halved in 3D mode<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Response time is overblown, overrated, and I think 90% of the people who complain about it have no idea what they're talking about anyway. Your brain is pretty much incapable of seeing any kind of artifacts from slow response times on the magnitude of 16ms and below - why? Because that is equal to 60hz, and unless you're telling me you have some sort of superhuman time-slowing thalamus and you can see the individual frames being drawn on a CRT, you are NOT going to see a 16ms response time, much less a 5ms.

(Protip: your '2ms' monitor probably doesn't run at even close to 2ms)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Speaking of response time, my old 19" CRT monitor is now finally dying after many years of faithful service and it's time to hop on the LCD bandwagon. The obvious things to look at are size and resolution, but those are hardly new to me. Response time is a little stranger to me - I've heard something about "ghosting" (I think?), thinks like faint images trailing after the mouse cursor if you move it quickly because the screen doesn't update fast enough, or other fast-moving images being blurry. What do I need to look out for when buying an LCD?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1750102:date=Feb 1 2010, 10:51 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 1 2010, 10:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do I need to look out for when buying an LCD?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're usually square or rectangular, and they're a lot thinner than CRT monitors. The screen is bordered by 1-2 inches of plastic, again usually black/white/silver, and there's a stand on the bottom. Coming out of the back there are usually at least two cables, one that goes to the power source and one that goes in to the PC. Sometimes there'll be speakers on the monitor too, or a microphone, so there might be two extra cables. The power and PC cables can usually disconnect from the monitor too.

When you buy them, they're usually inside a cardboard box of some sort, packed inside with polystyrene to keep it from rattling around inside the box. The cables are normally wrapped seperately inside a plastic bag, and there'll be a manual of some sort too, like a little booklet thing. Maybe an installation CD of some sort.

Hope that helps.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Wikipedia:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The pixel response time is often confused with the LCD input lag which adds another form of latency to pictures displayed by LCD screens. An LCD screen with high response time and significant input lag will not give satisfactory results when playing fast paced computer games or performing fast high accuracy operations on the screen (e.g. CAD). Manufacturers only state the response time of their displays and do not inform customers of the input lag value.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm scared now. :(
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited February 2010
    Television? Huh, I guess I'll check it out right after I listen to <i>radio</i> and maybe <i>telegraph</i> my relatives to stop using <i>paper mail</i>.

Seriously though, no. Price has always been a deciding factor for these things - more so now than ever - which is why Blu-Ray is still heavily lagging behind. Until we can make <i>cheap</i> 3D, it doesn't matter how cool it looks.

As for me, I prefer 120Hz over 3D any day.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1750121:date=Feb 1 2010, 08:20 AM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 1 2010, 08:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Television? Huh, I guess I'll check it out right after I listen to <i>radio</i> and maybe <i>telegraph</i> my relatives to stop using <i>paper mail</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The telegraph is smashing technology. STOP.
    It is a more elegant communicatory method for a more elegant time. STOP.
    Electronic delay prevents you from wasting time on youtube comments. FULL STOP.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I prefer the Aboriginal Bullroarer!