Commander camera vision

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
edited January 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
How about all Marines have some sort of camera mounted inside their helmit, and the commander can pop up a small screen of a FPS view of a soldier to better asses the situation when compared to a top-down perspective? This may allow the commander to understand situations on the ground better in real time, as well as commanding from a top-down perspective?

And how about a new structue to build, which is a stationary camera. Perhaps the commander can chose to switch to a security view of all cameras on the screen, and be able to see all bases at once like security cameras in a casion or something?

Comments

• TadModTadMod Join Date: 2010-01-08 Member: 69987Members
    This is actually a good idea! I think it could help the commander discern what is needed by the marines, and possibly help with a tactical advantage. Good Idea mate ;)
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Holy cow. I don't detect troll, and this idea is awesome, IF it could be implemented...but still, damn.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749999:date=Feb 1 2010, 05:12 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Feb 1 2010, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about all Marines have some sort of camera mounted inside their helmit, and the commander can pop up a small screen of a FPS view of a soldier to better asses the situation when compared to a top-down perspective? This may allow the commander to understand situations on the ground better in real time, as well as commanding from a top-down perspective?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is silly. The commander controls through an RTS-like interface, and the RT in RTS stands for real-time.

Any first-person view would be less efficient than the commander's viewpoint, which can see all enemy units on the screen within a certain proximity to marines, including units behind them. Any first-person views would only serve as a distraction; all information a commander needs, such as unit location, unit health, and the like are located on the regular commander screen.

<!--quoteo(post=1749999:date=Feb 1 2010, 05:12 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Feb 1 2010, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how about a new structue to build, which is a stationary camera. Perhaps the commander can chose to switch to a security view of all cameras on the screen, and be able to see all bases at once like security cameras in a casion or something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was already in NS1. It's called an Observatory, and could ping areas of the map. This showed the commander all units in the pinged area, and revealed all cloaked units to the marines. A security camera would only be redundant and less effective.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750058:date=Feb 1 2010, 12:22 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Feb 1 2010, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is silly. The commander controls through an RTS-like interface, and the RT in RTS stands for real-time.

Any first-person view would be less efficient than the commander's viewpoint, which can see all enemy units on the screen within a certain proximity to marines, including units behind them. Any first-person views would only serve as a distraction; all information a commander needs, such as unit location, unit health, and the like are located on the regular commander screen.

This was already in NS1. It's called an Observatory, and could ping areas of the map. This showed the commander all units in the pinged area, and revealed all cloaked units to the marines. A security camera would only be redundant and less effective.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

first person view is reduntant for the commander
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Wow shot down quick. I can understand how this is different and subject to critique, but lame reasons there, too.

I see a benefit of a security camera being able to monitor an area while your top down view is on another part of a map. I guess what I'm imagining is a small "sub window" that pops up on one corner of the commanders screen, so hes still viewing the map top down, but in the left hand corner of his screen hes getting a FPS view of a spot where he dropped a camera, but may be too busy to sit over, monitor and babysit (say, while hes dropping stuff for marines at a hive they're assaulting, hes got a camera placed at an empty hive).

Plus it just sounds really cool for the commander to have that sort of ability in his interface.

Use your imagination a little for fun before rushing to shoot stuff down.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1750037:date=Feb 1 2010, 12:37 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Feb 1 2010, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy cow. I don't detect troll, and this idea is awesome, IF it could be implemented...but still, damn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because you don't know that both ideas already came up multiple times over the years.

Obvious troll is obvious!
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    It's true, I've seen this idea already twice here. Basically:
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Starcraft Unit Portraits<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> except with a miini-FPS view

It's a great idea, so the comm can have his eye on the bigger picture while still maintaining a feel for what the situation is on the ground (potentially in different location than his current view). Top-down is nice great for strategy, but nothing says "GET LEVEL 3 NAO" better than watching your marines have their frontierbutts handed to them in first-person. The obvious drawback is it puts more stress on rendering.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whenever this came up I mentioned Aliens 2. So do I here: Multimonitor support + Aliens 2 style Supervising = Epic.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I don't think there's much use in making the commander see the first person view. He can assess the situation well enough from the top down view.

The idea to put up a "security camera" at points is a good idea. And yeah, that one has been mentioned before.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750069:date=Feb 1 2010, 02:32 PM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Feb 1 2010, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(say, while hes dropping stuff for marines at a hive they're assaulting, hes got a camera placed at an empty hive)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's actually a worthwhile idea. If for some reason the observatory is gone, this would make a good alternative to pinging. Although, a first-person camera would be the least effective way to go about it; maybe if you had a radar something you could plant at a hive/anywhere to reveal cloaked enemies and such, and also to display it all to the commander's view. It'd be a fair alternative to the observatory, though I'd prefer the observatory.

<!--quoteo(post=1750082:date=Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Starcraft Unit Portraits<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> except with a miini-FPS view<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yah, I know.<!--quoteo(post=1750082:date=Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a great idea<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Not necessarily.<!--quoteo(post=1750082:date=Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Feb 1 2010, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the comm can have his eye on the bigger picture while still maintaining a feel for what the situation is on the ground (potentially in different location than his current view). Top-down is nice great for strategy, but nothing says "GET LEVEL 3 NAO" better than watching your marines have their frontierbutts handed to them in first-person. The obvious drawback is it puts more stress on rendering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What you are suggesting is <b>entirely</b> useless. You can see your units dying from the top-down perspective just fine. The S in RTS stands for Strategy for a reason. Watching any of the action in first person, as commander, is a <i>total waste of time</i>. Any WATCHING a commander does takes away from his time DOING. If you want to watch the action first-hand so badly, <u>don't be a commander</u>. The game is primarily an FPS for a reason.

<!--quoteo(post=1750090:date=Feb 1 2010, 07:07 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Feb 1 2010, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think there's much use in making the commander see the first person view. He can assess the situation well enough from the top down view.

The idea to put up a "security camera" at points is a good idea. And yeah, that one has been mentioned before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Security cams good.

Getting motion sick via looking through someone else's view, bad.