I think the new AVP is awful

Comments

• snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750861:date=Feb 5 2010, 12:10 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 5 2010, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, but it may explain why there aren't a lot of demos around: If your game is ######, releasing a demo will cost you sales. Better to just release the game and hope that as many eagerly waiting fans of the previous games as possible gobble it up before everyone realizes that it's a ######pile in game costume.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll side with the customer over the company. If they made a crap game they don't deserve sales through customer ignorance. I think your point just reinforces people's decisions to avoid games without demos ;)
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Really LF? You trying to say it doesn't still do that in the new one? Bad controls don't make you any less crazy spinny :3

If anything I never got confused in AvP or AvP2 but in this 3rd one the sticking rules are so bizarre I often get confuzzled. This is the same player who used to madly corkscrew down corridors at people in the original without losing track of where I was :p

I score pretty well with the alien but I'm definitely not the xeno-diety I was before. AvP2 was crud as well seeing as people are bringing that up but it was more a case of balance than controls in that case XD

Regarding the balance in this though, the aliens are oddly poop at melee. It takes 3 to 4 claw swipes to down a marine which is enough time for them to kill you first with their gun, even if they only start shooting after you've hit them. I hear if you 1-2 punch them it works so I'll try that next time (hit with left click, then with right click). Again, the 'instant' kills are suicidally slow and if I wanted to see canned action I'd go watch a movie. I don't see why people think they're cool, but then again maybe not everyone was a headbiting machine in the first game like I was :/
    Up against aliens or Preds I tend to block them and then gut them while they're stunned... woe betide me if they know to use heavy attack to break my guard though :3
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750914:date=Feb 5 2010, 02:41 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 5 2010, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? Having the POV spin like a gyroscope inside a tumbledryer inside a cement mixer truck was fine? I never get motionsick, but that game nearly did me in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's major downfall was the fact that you'd randomly drop off of the ceiling/wall when going over steep surfaces. It could've used some smoothing out when you crossed over small pipes and such as well, but other than those, it was brilliant. Like Geminosity there, I was one of those aliens that would corkscrew around the hallways, barely touching the floors, dodging pulse grenades left and right and still managed to keep my bearings.

This new movement system just doesn't make any sense from the perspective of a hardcore AvP2 Alien.

The rant I wrote above was mostly just that. I loved AvP2, I grew up playing that, so now that they're touching my baby and violating it like this, I'm seeing red. It's just another AvP game to me, not the AvP I grew up with.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750926:date=Feb 5 2010, 02:54 PM:name=snooggums)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooggums @ Feb 5 2010, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll side with the customer over the company. If they made a crap game they don't deserve sales through customer ignorance. I think your point just reinforces people's decisions to avoid games without demos ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh absolutely. I am in no way defending any attempt to sell a ###### product by hiding its flaws until the customer has put money on the table. But if a ###### product is all you have and you want to make money off it anyway, then showing people how ###### your product is before they buy it isn't going to help. It's the same reason why they try to bribe/blackmail reviewers into not releasing unfavourable reviews until after the game is out.

<!--quoteo(post=1750933:date=Feb 5 2010, 03:25 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 5 2010, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really LF? You trying to say it doesn't still do that in the new one? Bad controls don't make you any less crazy spinny :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm saying I haven't tried this one (nor do I have any intention of doing so), so I don't consider myself informed enough to pronounce judgement.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    If you want to improve your AvP experience join this group:

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonsversuspredator" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonsversuspredator</a>

It is the SA goons, whom I normally do not like, but they have a unspoken rule to not attack your own race. TDM is a far more fun experience in this game.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    My two biggest issues so far are the mouse lag and the 1:2:2 predator:marine:alien enforced ratio. The developers are basically saying Preds are too powerful.

Haven't been able to play any race other than marine so far :(
    Handy Control I found from playing: left alt detaches you from the walls =D
    Should make my 'death from above' tactics slightly better. Also been experimenting with the jump; just make sure you've got the 3 prongs on your cross hair before you do it.

Main problem now that I'm getting used to the bizarre controls is finding people and killing them. In ye olde AvP I could sit back and just stalk happily because if someone got ahead I could go on a blitz of killing but in this one every kill takes a while so I can't just spaz up the charts with some efficient death from above. If you expect to land in a pile of marines and come out with half of them dead as you disappear into the darkness again you'll be sorely disappointed :p

I'd say my deaths from doing the 'e' attack is now at about 20%. Still the occasional person you didn't see around when you start it and you sometimes get unlucky and get the super long ones.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1751005:date=Feb 5 2010, 11:43 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Feb 5 2010, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My two biggest issues so far are the mouse lag and the 1:2:2 predator:marine:alien enforced ratio. The developers are basically saying Preds are too powerful.

Haven't been able to play any race other than marine so far :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Predators bloody-well should be.

Aliens should be fast, deadly, but low HP pools.

Marines should be slow, deadly at range, and beastly in groups (watching each others backs) [And thats why I think the demo fails here, it should have been TEAM deathmatch, not FFA making the Marine and to a lesser extent Alien experience less enjoyable]

and Predators should just be beasts all around. Hence why they even have the additional game modes of 1 pred vs group of marines or Infestation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wait... this demo is DM only? Why would marines and aliens shoot each other, preds could have somekind of battle to come out on top,.. And here I was thinking about actually downloading it :P
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Played 2 rounds just now, probably won't go back for more. First round was as a marine, basically your average shooter. I liked the tense feeling of always being on the lookout for cloaked Predators and wallwalking Aliens, but then I realized Natural Selection/any other game is better in every other way if I just want to play as a scared space marine.

Second round was as an Alien which was much more fun. Wallwalking is pretty neat. I don't know why people complain about the instakills; half of the complaints are "I don't like being immobile while I do them" and the other half are "they are too powerful!" but when you put those two together I think it's fine; they're good against isolated people who aren't paying attention but in a real fight you might as well not really bother. Taking on groups of marines and the Predator as an alien is fun but then I realized that skulking in Natural Selection is more fun, and free.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game (I'd try Predator but dude has like 80 controls to learn and I'm like "screw that") but I would say it's not really something I'd play over, say, TF2 or NS or any of my other favorite multiplayer shooters. In fact, I think it's really hurt by my love of NS; the Alien stuff especially would be neat, cool, and new if I wasn't already sort of used to it. This is also not to mention AvP and AvP 2 which I can presumably play if I ever feel like I want to try those out. And those won't be $50.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited February 2010
    Standard Deathmatch was an <i><b>awful</b></i> choice for a demo.

Honestly if rebellion had any sense they'd have either made a demo of one of the more interesting modes (bug hunt, survivor) or even a singleplayer demo which would have better promoted their title imo.

I'd say alot of people would be put off by the confusing chaos of a 3 way deathmatch on a pitch black map.
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    i haven't tried the demo yet and from all the negativity i keep getting about it from pretty much everywhere I'm reluctant to even waste bandwidth on this. Should i?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1751182:date=Feb 5 2010, 04:39 PM:name=Nossah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nossah @ Feb 5 2010, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i haven't tried the demo yet and from all the negativity i keep getting about it from pretty much everywhere I'm reluctant to even waste bandwidth on this. Should i?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no reason you shouldn't try it out. Worst that happens, you're a little bit more informed... Unless you actually have tight bandwidth limits. Then maybe you shouldn't.

I didn't like the feel of the game at all. Played as human and alien.

Alien is really clumsy to control, and really confusing to understand what's going on. I did love being able to leap to a wall and stuff by aiming and hitting jump. It's a way better method than NS in some ways because it allowed for precise control of where you land. In other ways, it was clumsy. I couldn't really use it to go faster (though leaping at a spot on the ground in front of me might have made me move slightly faster, don't really know)... and i definitely couldn't use it for attacking. NS controls are simpler, especially when it comes to attacking... which i think is sort of the point.

Human was dumb too. The gun you start with has such a huge muzzleflash that i can't see or aim at anything with it. After finding a shotgun it was a little better. I was able to actually kill some stuff. Especially when I realized I could knock aliens a bit away from me with the melee and blast them (hello L4D). The best gun was one that autoaimed / locked on. Kind of silly.

I imagine it could be a little fun with actual teams. I don't know why they didn't have that implemented for the demo, it would really add a ton to this game. As it is, it's just annoying.

I wanted to try predator, but there was no way to switch between races that I could find, and the always on voicecomm in the lobby was unbearable.

All of this together led me to just delete the game -- research complete.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1751175:date=Feb 5 2010, 04:28 PM:name=Drake1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drake1 @ Feb 5 2010, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751175"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Standard Deathmatch was an <i><b>awful</b></i> choice for a demo.

Honestly if rebellion had any sense they'd have either made a demo of one of the more interesting modes (bug hunt, survivor) or even a singleplayer demo which would have better promoted their title imo.

I'd say alot of people would be put off by the confusing chaos of a 3 way deathmatch on a pitch black map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I totally agree with you. I don't know what the other modes are, but deathmatch was just really dumb. One of the most frustrating things in my first game (I was an alien) was getting killed over and over by other aliens while I tried to work out the controls.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited February 2010
    no one ever mentioned the annoying firing delay on the marines pulserifle... it even mades some sound like it has to spin up, and after the firing it has some cool down phase sound.. thats bull######... when i want to do some long range headshot, with a very short one or two shot burst i either get no round out of the rifle , or ike 10 at once and miss anyways because the gun started way to late to fire.. and the grenades fire like instantly, so it cant be lag or something ..wth? the rest of the game is way more responsive then shooting this stupid rifle. and those one hit killing moves are so lame..you could do them from like 4 meters away..it feels like your xeno gets realy long arms, and pulls the marine back towards you, they should have inplemented it as way of finish move after some well executed fighting combo when your enemy is still able to defend himself, like in MW when some attack dog is pouncing you to bite your throat and you got a split second to defend yourself, not killing the attacker instantly in AVP, but being able to push him away , if he tries to do a finnishing move
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Just tried the game now, all three different classes and everything, looked at the game mechanics, animations, damage rendering, movement, controls, just about everything is garbage.

It is totally bad. I can't imagine. Well..
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alot of ###### opinions here. Garbage? Some ppl clearly hate Aliens and Predators.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751341:date=Feb 6 2010, 10:01 AM:name=Tykjen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tykjen @ Feb 6 2010, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Garbage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1751341:date=Feb 6 2010, 10:01 AM:name=Tykjen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tykjen @ Feb 6 2010, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Garbage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still.
    Uh hu.

0_o
    illegal aliens and sexual predators is garbage. cant handle the controls? adapt or move on. its pretty fkn far from garbage
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1751341:date=Feb 6 2010, 06:01 PM:name=Tykjen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tykjen @ Feb 6 2010, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alot of ###### opinions here. Garbage? Some ppl clearly hate Aliens and Predators.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone who disagrees with my opinion is wrong and hates everything.
    Like arseholes, everyone has opinions and they all stink. But you stink the most
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hudson: That's it man, game over man, game over! What the ###### are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?
    Burke: Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NossahNossah Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8234Members, Constellation
    Well i tried the ps3 demo today. It wasn't too bad but it feels very unpolished even though the console versions are supposedly the superior ones. I uninstalled it after messing around for about an hour. Not my thing.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750987:date=Feb 5 2010, 05:20 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Feb 5 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is the SA goons, whom I normally do not like,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not?
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited February 2010
    just played it on the xbox and I did not have fun. played for like 15 minutes as alien, died like 20 times, managed to get maybe 1 kill that I pretty much stole from someone else. could not figure out the controls for the life of me. I could swipe, and swing my tail, both of which seemed pretty useless when a marine could just hold fire and melt my healthbar down to nothing. not like you can sneak up on someone when your every footstep sounds like someone banging a jackhammer on steel. there is something called focus mode? could not tell what that was for, it made the edges of my screen a little blurry though. and the surface transition button - didn't get that either. sometimes my alien switched to another surface without holding it, sometimes he didn't.

now I just played a round as marine and died even more. ironically even though I could hear my every step as an alien, I couldn't hear any aliens when I was playing as marine. I walked around in the dark hardly able to see a thing for about 10 seconds, hear 1 blip on my radar, and then die. every life. I'm sure it doesn't help that I was playing on the xbox. I have no idea how people stomach first person games without a mouse. controls are like trying to swim through jell-o. I could go to the kitchen and get a drink in the time it takes me to do a 180 degree turn.

maybe the single player will be fun. I loved AvP2's single player.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    edited February 2010
    I'm just hoping the demo was an early build and that the finished game is alot more polished.

I actually managed to have a decent lag free game last night and suprisingly even managed to top the server as a <i>marine</i> all on my lonesome.

From what I can tell well timed melee attacks are the way to go in CQB especially against pred's.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1751353:date=Feb 6 2010, 03:30 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Feb 6 2010, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone who disagrees with my opinion is wrong and hates everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Very droll Draco. Although, I have to admit I laughed at the comment, too.

I've just downloaded the PS3 demo, considering I actually think the PC version has great potential I'll post once I've tried it.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1751431:date=Feb 6 2010, 08:01 PM:name=Abra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Abra @ Feb 6 2010, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1751431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Goons are some of the best people to play these kinds of games with. I don't get the hate personally.

I'm tempted to try the demo out but i'm gonna wait a couple days for my graphics card to come as I doubt i'd be able to run it at the moment.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    It's not awful, but it's not right either. I agree with the sentiment that it was a colossally bad idea to make a demo featuring DM instead of TDM. There are a number of other niggling issues:

- Surround sound motion tracker? Forgivable (potentially due to technical limitations) but at least the sound is blissfully authentic, and I did experience a moment of delight when while I was playing as a marine I was standing nervously in a corridor unsure where the enemy was exactly ahead of me, finally he jumps out from a vent just in time for his alien-buddy to get me from behind. It was a nice (if accidental) show of teamwork.

- Alien walk feels sticky and a little more disorienting then AVP2 for some reason. I might need to get used to it though, so I'll chalk this one up to "Might get tweaked in patch v1.02"

- Predators don't seem that scary or capable in a fight. But that might have been due to rookie players. Admittedly Aliens seem to have a tough time in melee with a predator. If they don't get the drop on him they'll usually end up dead in a straight fight in melee. Which makes sense.

Good potential at least, if they iron out the gameplay a little (and if the various other game modes prove fun). After all there's nothing really *wrong* with it aside from feeling a little bit like they took a few too many 'inspirations' from Modern Warfare... but admittedly that impression might be from the console-esque feel of both games.

Seems pretty good though. They did a lot of work on the menu graphics.
    edited February 2010
    Ok, I'm getting rather used to the controls now and I'm oddly enjoying it in spite of itself.

First off, if the races don't bother attacking their own (this happens about 50% of the time) then the game is infinitely more fun.

Secondly, if you're alien your best bet to take just about anything down is to hold shift until you get a lock-on (preferably from above or somewhere else unseen) and hit space. If the target is a marine just use a normal claw as soon as it'll let you after the jump attack and you'll kill them. Miles faster and more convienent than those cruddy insta-kills. If it's a pred you'll have to swing a few more times but the effect usually boils down to the same (they might block so be careful).

I'll use the insta kills if I know there's nobody for miles if my target is a predator. It's the safest way to take those jerks down (which still isnt' very). The most satisfying one I did of these was when I got a little nuts and dropped down on a pred while he was fighting a marine. Gutted him from behind with the crummy insta-kill but his body shielded me from most of the marine's bullets and then I scarpered off alive to lick my wounds right after the animation unshackled me. Any longer though and that marine would have got a free kill :p

Head on with a pred using alien isn't even funny if the pred is half awake. That wouldn't bother me so much if he couldn't insta-gib you with his ranged weaponry too AND it's damn hard to get away once the weird melee system kicks in. Your best bet if you can is to scuttle right past him and initiate a quick insta-kill. It's scummy and I hate doing it but it's alarmingly effective if you can't get the jump attack in for some reason.

All said I still have some of my old AvP skills so I was gutting some preds in the corniest situations (one backpedalled while firing everything he had and slashing his claws yet I still managed to somehow kill him without dying myself). The hardest thing for me to adapt to is alien fights... in the original it was a one-hit joust which was fine for me but now they're a bit too drawn out which is a bad thing when the other two races can interfere at any moment and it's definitely not suited for wall combat. Also means it takes far too much effort for me to punish people who kill our own species (a matter made worse by the fairly bleh chat system and a complete lack of noticable names until you kill someone).

I'll still get the full version but the learning curve is steep thanks to bad controls and I still think they may have messed the alien about too much. I'd be happy to be a one-hit kill again (aliens used to pop like a grapefruit from a single bullet) as long as we got back our higher damage melee. Speed is fine though. The loss of headbites and the introduction of those horrible insta-kill moves (which don't work on walls) are totally anti-alien though. You can't do the classic headbite of death from above and wall combat is considerably more limited than it used to be. It's a classic scene in the films to have the alien descent slowly from above and then suddenly cart the human off or kill them so it seems odd to lose that ability :/

The dedicated servers will be welcome when release hits. The listen servers constantly have the host leaving mid-match which is incredibly annoying and the player base often seems scattered in groups of 2 or 3 across servers which is ick.

Ooh! ooh! one last thing. Is it lag or is there some kind of diablo-esque auto-hit on heavy attacks? I've seen enemies execute it while I back off and somehow still hit me from across the room as I attempt to retreat out of range. It's silly and annoying whatever it is.

<b>edit:</b> oh and before I forget. The alt key? Remember how I said it unsticks you from the walls? Well it's still true but I discovered to my annoyance that you can't hold it to prevent the auto-stick that happens when you walk off a ledge (why the heck isn't there an option to turn that off????? I've got auto-transistion off so I don't auto-climb walls but I still stick to drops which is infuriating). i wish they'd at least let Alt be a total 'off' switch for stickiness in general, I hate hammering it to make myself fall.