Google Buzz

2»

Comments

• GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Ooh ok! I might give it a shot later after all then :3

Google have an annoying habit of trying to attach your name to stuff without bothering to tell you. I remember sending a Gmail for the first time only to realise it'd added my name to it as the sender. The guy who got the email (someone I've not seen around here for a good while now) was all like "I'm beginning to suspect that's your real name. Perhaps I know too much now? Should I expect a ninja to come for me soon?" He teased me about it for a good many emails after :p
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Good points:
    - No extra stupid clutter of "Person X friended Person Y" or "Person X is in a relationship"
    - Google!
    - Integrated into Gmail and links up to a bunch of other stuff
    - Way better at commenting/linking, etc.

Bad Points:
    - Stupid security issues that you have to manually lock down (then again, Facebook has also been bad in the past)
    - Doesn't link to Facebook (seriously?)
    - Clutters your Inbox unless you lock it down with a Label
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1753103:date=Feb 14 2010, 06:46 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 14 2010, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The guy who got the email <b>(someone I've not seen around here for a good while now) </b>was all like "I'm beginning to suspect that's your real name. Perhaps I know too much now? <b> Should I expect a ninja to come for me soon?"</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I THINK SO.

I had the same problem when I first started using Wave, luckily I only had one person on my list who didn't know my full name and I've woven enough tall tales for them to be suspicious of anything I tell them.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    lol! Ninjas? Me? I have a pirate avatar :3

Wave almost caught me out with that as well, but I remembered Gmail's antics so I caught it before I sent anything.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1753093:date=Feb 14 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 14 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for blogs and stuff, I guess the appeal isn't immediately obvious to me either Crispy though I do think a blog might be a nice 'output' for me to vent stuff on and you know how much I like to vent XD
    Thing is though, my idea is more to focus on topics of discussion. I don't think I could ever bother telling everyone what's going on in my life constantly or doing the whole 'dear diary' thing (I tried that when I was little with a diary. Turns out I was more interested in living my life than writing about it :p ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You can blog anonymously. I definitely see the appeal of blogging, if not just to have a space for all my ideas in one place and look back and go 'Wow that was dumb!' or 'Why don't I think that anymore?'.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I can confirm that Geminosity's real name is...

Gail Porter.

;)
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753103:date=Feb 14 2010, 08:46 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 14 2010, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ooh ok! I might give it a shot later after all then :3

Google have an annoying habit of trying to attach your name to stuff without bothering to tell you. I remember sending a Gmail for the first time only to realise it'd added my name to it as the sender.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In gmail:
    First name: Lord
    Last name: Snooggums

I don't tend to use my real name when signing up unless there is going to be a monetary transaction involved because of programs automatically adding that information when it isn't expected. I believe you can edit your name in gmail and the rest at any time.