Map-pack series?

gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
edited February 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Should NS2 include mappacks that progress like a campaign?</div>My suggestion is essentially this long convoluted garbage below :P

Consider first a storyline, say that the kharaa happen to be discovered inhabiting a newly made mine shaft appended to a decently sized marine colony. You then create a series of say 4 maps+mineshaft map, that progress in series a bit like a storyline. Why 5 maps? Consider the mineshaft map the centre map in a 'tug of war' type campaign arrangement;
Marine map 2 <---> Marine map 1 <---> Mine Shaft map <---> Alien map 1 <---> Alien map 2
(edit: you start on 'Mine Shaft map')

So if the marines win on the mine shaft map, the next map is 'Alien map 1', as the aliens become pushed further back into their hive system. If the aliens won the mine shaft map, next map would be "Marine map 1", further inside the marine compound. If marines lost again on "marine map 1", next map is "marine map 2" (say an evacuation towards aircraft hangers or something). If marines won it would go in the opposite direction along the campaign 'thread'. You get the gist :P

The final victory of the campaign would be if (for example) the aliens won on 'Marine map 2', essentially forcing the marines out of the colony. On the other hand, rines winning on 'Alien map 2' means extermination of the kharaa from the mine system and a total marine victory.

So what I'm essentially saying - is this a viable idea? Just throwing this idea out there, I'm really not able to map myself (unless you like square rooms, corridors and literal skyboxes), and I appreciate this would mean a lot of work for anyone undertaking it. Also five maps is just to illustrate the idea, 3 would work too ;)

Thoughts?

PS: This idea is kind of in response to UWE saying they don't want 40 min+ games on each map, this 'sort of' tries to address that, each game is still 15-20 mins but works towards a tangible goal that is bigger than that single battle alone. Also the storyline is just an example, could be whatever.

Comments

• xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    This would be a good idea for a single player campaign but not so much on multiplayer. You're idea is implying that you take away the freedom of choosing which map to play next.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    It sounds like a fun idea, not for UWE, but for someone else to try. If a server ran this kind of setup, I would definitely try it. It may kind of suck to not be there from the beginning, though.
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1753670:date=Feb 17 2010, 06:09 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Feb 17 2010, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1753670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be a good idea for a single player campaign but not so much on multiplayer. You're idea is implying that you take away the freedom of choosing which map to play next.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see what you're saying - if for whatever reason a map series is considered by a whole lot of people as totally lame, you don't want to accidentally load onto that campaign and be stuck there in tears for 40+ minutes (barring an admin being present to change it). And even if there was a map vote between levels, kinda defeats the purpose of the campaign.

All the same, what about a series of maps with the same kind of theme (i.e. same colony/spacestation/mine facility but different area)?