pre-alpha editor feature-wishlist

ianmcmillianmcmill Join Date: 2010-04-29 Member: 71569Members, Reinforced - Supporter
-i would like to have the option to extrude multiple elements/edges at once
-maybe a bevel-tool like in max would be cool
-i would like to have a better method to mark from several faces/edges/vertics which all lay on the same coordinates

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    -Grouping feature especially for world geometry
    or make dbl-click on layers select all parts of it
    -properly working texture lock
    -tons of things which make texture application easier (copy attributes, treat as one face, etc.)
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1769398:date=May 1 2010, 01:30 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ May 1 2010, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Copy attributes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Left Click a Face that has the texture you want to use, Holt ALT and left click the Face you want to copy it to.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Perfect.

Thanks a lot!
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    It should just continue to copy bits from Sketchup which I guess was the inspiration.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1769398:date=May 1 2010, 01:30 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ May 1 2010, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-properly working texture lock<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you select the faces and wait a couple of secons or wait a couple of seconds after clicking the Move or Rotate tool before moving them when texture lock is on, then it is more <u>unlikely</u> to loose the lock.
    There is some sort of delay in the pickup of the positions, if you select and move right away the positions are picked up after movement has started and then it caches the positions during movement and locks them out of place.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to have a bezier curve tool, it would be a lot faster than cutting 1/4 circles and stretching it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1769508:date=May 2 2010, 08:08 PM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ May 2 2010, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to have a bezier curve tool, it would be a lot faster than cutting 1/4 circles and stretching it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lazy uffo is lazy :P
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Spot light selector

Change a certain texture to another texture

Larger images of Props/textures for those who are visually impaired ( like my self )
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1769520:date=May 2 2010, 11:35 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ May 2 2010, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lazy uffo is lazy :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not lazy... just self-indulgent ;C
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1769576:date=May 3 2010, 10:48 AM:name=uffo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uffo @ May 3 2010, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not lazy... just self-indulgent ;C<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know, I wuz kiddin' of course I want the same feature :P
    Props need the option for:
    "Casts Shadows" : true/false &
    "Cast Self Shadows" : true/false - (Object cast a shadow on its self)
    They have both these options in the source engine.

Excellent for optimizations as I have seen a fair number of props I have placed where I can turn shadows off for them and get a significant fps boost as shadows seem to eat a lot.
  • RehsaRehsa Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71596Members
    Slice Tool
    Ability to slice a face along an axis and have it separate both sides as different faces without welding the faces.
    Pen tool does not do this, and sometimes will create an extra face due to the geometry and the pen usage.

Ability to create a face on the backside of another face without having to use the pen tool to make extra points. ability when making a face to have a neat toggle to auto-create a second face on the backside.
    <!--quoteo(post=1769683:date=May 4 2010, 07:18 PM:name=Rehsa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehsa @ May 4 2010, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ability to create a face on the backside of another face without having to use the pen tool to make extra points. ability when making a face to have a neat toggle to auto-create a second face on the backside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Double click the line of a shape to slect all of its lines, Press ALT+C to create the second face, If the face is created an a side that already has a face then select the face and press CTRL+F to flip it to the other side.
    * It would be nice if it automaticaly did detect what side didnt have a face already.

I dont understand why you need to slice something in the way you are suggesting.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I would like to split multiple faces at the same time like in hammer (and cycle between keeping both sides or just one of them).
    <!--quoteo(post=1769687:date=May 4 2010, 12:08 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ May 4 2010, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Double click the line of a shape to slect all of its lines, Press ALT+C to create the second face, If the face is created an a side that already has a face then select the face and press CTRL+F to flip it to the other side.
    * It would be nice if it automaticaly did detect what side didnt have a face already.

I dont understand why you need to slice something in the way you are suggesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for that little tip. read below for the why in the second part.

<!--quoteo(post=1769688:date=May 4 2010, 12:11 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 4 2010, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to split multiple faces at the same time like in hammer (and cycle between keeping both sides or just one of them).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is pretty much where I got the slice idea from. I find myself happy with 1 part of a face, but another piece of the face (or multiple faces) don't work. Instead of the pen tool, which will slice the face, but it will keep them welded, which doesn't allow for easy separation, in case I want to put a prop between them later.

It's true I can always resize the face back with texture lock off to where I want, copy and paste to get the same effect, but a simple slice tool would end up saving a lot of time in the long run. from even more copy/pasting which is what I do a lot of now.

Simply making 1 big face, slicing in a few place, then changing their height/dimensions of possibly the outside parts, is easier, than copying and pasting so many times the resizing. The first way I get my overall feeling right, then with a few slices, I can quickly delete little areas.

Let's say you want a nice corner our of a hard edge, pretty much you can use the pen tool to make the corner, then delete the extra scrap, but let's say you don't want to delete the scrap, but maybe move it out of the way for now, or something... you cannot move it because it's welded.

Slice tool could pretty much be the pen tool without the auto weld on it, and it'd work fine. Or have the option to toggle the auto weld with the pen tool.
    Nothing I can suggest other than make things a little simpler by going:
    TOOLS > SETTINGS: <u>+Edit</u> and Bind <i><u>Duplicate Selection</u></i> to <b>CTRL+D</b>

Just select the face or faces only not the lines. Then hit CTRL+D
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Something that I'd like is a way to measure distances. Drawing a line isn't cutting it and I often can't draw on top of faces without problems. Either have a measure tool that measures from one point to another. Or I had this other idea but not sure if it would be worth the time adding. A toggle for a tool that draws a + shaped guide line and displays the distance between the nearest 2 adjacent edges for each axis.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    The scale tool is your measurement tool.
    <!--quoteo(post=1769694:date=May 4 2010, 01:17 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ May 4 2010, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing I can suggest other than make things a little simpler by going:
    TOOLS > SETTINGS: <u>+Edit</u> and Bind <i><u>Duplicate Selection</u></i> to <b>CTRL+D</b>

Just select the face or faces only not the lines. Then hit CTRL+D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I shall work with this as well, but then again, this is a wishlist thread, and it's on my wishlist.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1769700:date=May 4 2010, 04:49 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 4 2010, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The scale tool is your measurement tool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only when measuring the dimensions of 1 object at a time, not for measuring a room more complex than a box.
  • FortuneFortune Join Date: 2009-04-27 Member: 67290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1769702:date=May 4 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razor @ May 4 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769702"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only when measuring the dimensions of 1 object at a time, not for measuring a room more complex than a box.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We definitely need a ruler, just like can be found in UnrealEd. That tool is absolutely handy for working out the exact scale a prop needed to be to fit in whichever gap you wanted it to.
    Lets make a dev_ruler texture :)
  • ianmcmillianmcmill Join Date: 2010-04-29 Member: 71569Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    what about sphere/cube tool. cube could be obsolete because of rectangle/extrude. but spheres would be cool. to make cool thinks like an event horizon like structure.
    but this could be also done with a custom prob. im just brainstorming.
  • JosemiteJosemite Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17770Members
    -Slice, or at least drawing lines on faces being more responsive
    -Unweld! Welding is very nice some of the time, and a real pain most of the time, the ability to explode vertices (with faces and edges exploding all attached vertices) would be very helpful
    -Dunno if it's a bug, but edges and vertices don't go away when I hide the group their faces are on. While it's somewhat inconvenient for 3d view (though it does still give a huge fps boost) in the 2d views it makes all but the plan view useless past 1 or 2 rooms.
    -More light customization, as mentioned before, primarily the ability to add lights with different falloff patterns, mostly useful for adding ambient lighting for rooms, or lighting a smaller area without getting the bright spots from the light object being close to the wall
    -A more personal request, but it breaks my heart that the refinery_wall_11 textures are so shiny, I think they'd look great as the main wall texture for the marine areas, but with them being so shiny they end up looking rather odd
  • PstranglerPstrangler Join Date: 2003-09-25 Member: 21198Members
    edited May 2010
    - A Weld function like in 3ds max.
    - A way to 'carve' like the Carve tool in Hammer.

- A contextual right click menu : example: when right clicking a face you get options applicable to a face (extrude, bevel, texture, move, to entity, move to layer...) ; when clicking a prop...

- I agree with the Bevel, Measure and multiple extrude suggestions, bezier as well.

- An Array tool (like 3ds max) would make creating highly detailed hallways a breeze.

- Drag and drop to layers and more layer options (lock, wireframe color, visible, render...)

I sit and think, oh my, that's a lot I demand, but on the other hand, we'll all profit from all the suggestions made in this post.
    I just started with NS2 mapping, my home PC is down (and aux PCs are all too slow for the editor) I have to play around during breaks at work. I can't wait to get my PC up and running again. Oh and yeah, I have spent maybe 6-8 hours in the Editor, I might have missed some features.

I am more than ever anxious to get something up (and eventually play the game). Keep up the good work Unknown World Critters!
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    Here's what I've jotted down so far:

- right-click-drag in the 2d views! WASD feels natural in 3d from years of that convention, but it's super awkward in 2d

- better calibrated zoom/scroll speed in 2d when zoomed very far in or out; at medium distances it's about right, but it's unusably fast when zoomed far in and annoying slow when zoomed far out

- detachable 3d/2d view windows, so we can distribute them easier on multiple monitors

- it seems like holding shift starts selecting things as the mouse drags over them instead of when I click them, which is hard to use; I'd prefer a mode where shift-click only adds to my selection, and ctrl-click can toggle something in the selection, but I don't expect things to happen just by dragging the mouse over them

- the grid seems to be drawn at 0 on each axis, which means if you position anything with a negative coordinate, the grid lines will cross in front of the geometry lines which should never happen; if you zoom too far out with a fine grid setting, geometry lines can disappear completely behind the dense grid and be invisible

- an option to change the 3d pan keys; WASD may be the "standard" but I've always changed it to "SZXC" because I prefer more keys above those fingers instead of below

- an option for W/S (or S/X for me) to pan the camera vertically (relative to its view angle) rather than zooming in and out; we already have the mouse wheel to zoom, and right now it's awkward to reposition up or down

- maybe this will get better when occlusion and more optimizations get into the editor's engine, but in the mean time it'd help with the render lag if we could set a "fog" distance to fade out and stop drawing things X units away; usually we don't want to see things that far away anyway, we're working with whatever's close to the camera, so the stuff behind just confuses the image and slows down the renderer

- save the browser scroll position when switching tools! it's tedious to select a prop or texture, then have to switch to the move tool etc. to work with it, and then switch back to prop/texture and be back at the top of the list

- not sure if the color select widget allows for this, but it'd be nice to update the 3d light display while selecting the color instead of having to hit OK or Apply to see it in action; this makes for a lot of back and forth tweaking the color components
    <!--quoteo(post=1770495:date=May 9 2010, 06:21 PM:name=taleden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taleden @ May 9 2010, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's what I've jotted down so far:

- right-click-drag in the 2d views! WASD feels natural in 3d from years of that convention, but it's super awkward in 2d<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Use the middle button to pan.
  • taledentaleden Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15252Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1770498:date=May 9 2010, 11:44 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 9 2010, 11:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use the middle button to pan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately my mouse's wheel is super hard to click, so this doesn't really work for me. It'd be nice if it were configurable anyway.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1770576:date=May 10 2010, 08:57 AM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ May 10 2010, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Brushes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Make a retangle, extrude the face and voila you have your brush, because by doubleclicking one of its faces you select all parts of the brush and can handle it as you were used to in hammer.
    Just with the advantage that you can go for all sorts of shapes with a single brush by further extruding, adding lines, etc.