Particle System

Comments

• ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yup.. That is already in and being testing out as well.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Sweet sounds great. Thanks for the headsup hehe might that be a hint of it being added in todays update :D
  • PHXPHX Join Date: 2010-06-02 Member: 71937Members
    >one particle morphing from a fire sprite to smoke sprite in a animated timeline during the particles lifetime.

If the particle is morphing from fire to smoke, it also has to change from additive to alpha blend. I dont't really suggest to do this. Otherwise morphing would be nice.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_41KYt6_A" target="_blank">A quick bullet impact modification.</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKLd3G9NH8" target="_blank">Bullet impact closeup.</a>
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    PHX: Nice! I really like that bullet impact.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Looks great, maybe toning down the "flame" in the impact zone a little unless it's incendiary rounds :D
    This is the result of five "toning down", it's a bit hard to make effects if I have to restart the game after every change to see how it looks actually. :)

A few questions:
    How can I hide the cones in the cinematic editor?
    How can I make flickering/animated lights? (I'll need it looped for the fire, and other continuous things.)
    How can I put in a floor/ a BSP in the cinematic editor? (To see the effects of the light. Intensity, falloff, etc. Placing object doesn't reall help.)
    Can I zoom the width and the height of the curve editor separately?
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=PHX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PHX)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's a bit hard to make effects if I have to restart the game after every change to see how it looks actually. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, real-time updating would be nice - I mean, its a build in feature of LuaJIT :\
    Why not extend the same feature to all assets as well :D
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I got to ask phx, are you phoenix (gmod)?
    edited June 2010
    >I got to ask phx, are you phoenix (gmod)?

PHX is a short for Phoenix, that's right, but never played Gmod. I'm not who you are looking for :)

>Yeah, real-time updating would be nice

Real time updating - the lack of it - is the minor problem. The major one is that it looks totally different in a lit room, than on a full black background. And by the way, the effect is overlaid by huge cones and lightbulb models :)
    Two quick experiments:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJULiDy6W-I" target="_blank">A steam jet.</a>

And <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SJg9ya3VPE" target="_blank">a sparkler</a> int the spark engine :) A huge one.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    They're both really nice, PHX.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Looks cool PHX.
    I think the first, thin part of the steam jet doesn't fit that good to the end part though.
    It looks like something is slowing down the jet in the middle and making it spread.
    >It looks like something is slowing down the jet in the middle and making it spread.

That is intentional, I think when the air friction/drag (I don't know the exact word for it...) slows down a high-pressure steam jet, and it starts to wreathe, it look somewhat like this. I'm not sure, haven't found a good example for it on youtube.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's probably just the transition between the thin and the thick jet.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xysesFaufHU" target="_blank">Better?</a>
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Good stuff PHX.

Yes, it definitely can be hard to tell how an effect is going to look on just a black background, as opposed to in game. What we did was actually create a very small and basic test room, with floors, walls, some props, and lighting, to represent an in game environment and load that in the cinematic editor and create the effects in there. Much easier to get an in-game representation of how the FX are going to look.

While you can place new props and new lights in the cinematic editor, you need to use the level editor tool to create the level geometry first, then load that map in the cinematic editor.

--Cory
    >What we did was actually create a very small and basic test room,

Great Cory, that would be really useful!

>While you can place new props and new lights in the cinematic editor, you need to use the level editor
    >tool to create the level geometry first, then load that map in the cinematic editor.

I tried, of course. The level is not loading in the cinematic editor, and if I place some objects for scaling and comparison, and delete it afterwards, the editor becomes extremely unstable, and crashes every ten seconds.
    Looks better, imho, PHX
    >unless it's incendiary rounds :D

How about some <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQzzQyZN3k" target="_blank">high-explosive rounds</a>? :D

It's just an attempt of course, a proper explosion will need some additinal features, like alpha blended particles, normal mapped distorting particles, volume emitter, camera shake, velocity scaling, locked particle orientation, etc.

Cory, editing substractive particles like these in this explosion on black background, that's what I call hard :)

pSykOmAn, thx!
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    cool effects PHX, I really like the steam effect.
  • BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    Just started messing around with the editor, got some questions for you. Is it possible to set a starting point for the animation? Say I want it to start at frame 20 for instance. Also, is it possible to get the particles to go towards the source and not away from it?
    >Is it possible to set a starting point for the animation?

You mean you want to delay the emitting of particles? Theoretically controlling the emission rate with a curve should do the trick, but it's not really working... :(

>Also, is it possible to get the particles to go towards the source and not away from it?

I don't thoink so. Since the particles are being emitted in one point. In the source as you call it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2010
    The particles seem to blend with each other more than they do in source, in source you can always kinda see the particles even if you're really careful, least I always can.

In this they seem to be harder to tell apart, looks more natural, could just be that I am not familiar with the textures though.

<!--quoteo(post=1773485:date=Jun 5 2010, 09:06 PM:name=PHX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PHX @ Jun 5 2010, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->>Also, is it possible to get the particles to go towards the source and not away from it?

I don't thoink so. Since the particles are being emitted in one point. In the source as you call it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If there is a positioning function you can usually use that to spawn them in a radius around the point, and if there is a velocity application function, try putting in a negative value.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    Both steam affects are cool.. but I actually prefer the first one.. Looks like its been forced out of a pressure release valve or something.
    >If there is a positioning function

No there isn't ... yet.

>Looks like its been forced out of a pressure release valve or something.

Exactly that was my intention :)
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3pJwqG7c6I" target="_blank">A quick muzzleflash mod.</a>

I'd like to add some smoke to it, but the whole effect is stopped (killed) after about 0.1 sec. Where can I change it?

And where are the hive and repairbot models?
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Very nice effects PHX. I was trying to make a steam effect like yours but went on to trying other things. Did you do it by having 2 particle emitters one for the fast, skinny steam and one for the slower mist puffs?

I wonder if an electrical arch effect could be made and still look good from all angles or it may need a custom image.
    edited June 2010
    >Did you do it by having 2 particle emitters

The second version has 4 emitters.

>I wonder if an electrical arch effect could be made

How about this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-leJX6sTZw" target="_blank">Thou shalt not pass!</a>
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    All your stuff is really cool PHX. You going to use this all for something?