Pathing system curiosity

douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Just out of curiosity, could I get some more info on the pathing system? I'm assuming your using some form of A*, probably with a dynamically created 3d grid of points? or is this going to require some sort of preplaced nav markers similar to the source engine? Also, a side question, the MACs fly, now is this full 3d movement? or just a simple hovering? I would imagine they would only receive instructions in a 2d manner from the commander, but would they be able to fly up to higher ledges?

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    i have a question related to the pathing as well. i was under the assumption that the commander had to manually control macs/mascs.. now that we know that units can find thier own path to destinations does that mean that modders could potentially turn this engine into a strictly RTS game and not have any human controlled players?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    If we could dynamically generate the nav mesh, that would be baller.

A* would probably be a smart way to do it since we have dynamic stuff like welding doors open and shut. Or just have a conditional pre-solved graph. Or Dijkstra's since it can handle changing graphs.

I think what stuff like Whichbot did was a pseudo pre-solved graph for long range planning, but allowed them to diverge from the graph locally to dodge, attack, etc.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The AI uses pre-placed nodes for navigation.
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    can the enemy kill these flying things?
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778274:date=Jul 13 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Jul 13 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The AI uses pre-placed nodes for navigation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting, so I'm guessing these will require pathing entity placement?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778287:date=Jul 13 2010, 03:14 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jul 13 2010, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting, so I'm guessing these will require pathing entity placement?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or some sort of external pre-generated graph system. Maybe it's like HL1 and you have to run around in the map manually placing them!!!!