computer problems

2»

Comments

• TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Also, if you can afford it go for a single-rail PSU. More expensive, because the parts have to be quality to output the same amount of power through one transformer, instead of two or even three smaller, cheaper ones. Cuts down on potential phase harmonic issues (which are a PAIN to sort out if you run into them).

PSU is the foundation of your machine, even moreso than the motherboard. If you don't have stable, clean power, you'll get glitches, crashes, and unexpected behaviours all over the damn place. Mobo is next, of course. I'd actually argue that CPU cooler is more important than CPU. RAM is the next step down. Then HDD performance. Video card comes right after that, and sound card hangs out toward the bottom of the heap (as most onboards at least do a passable job) with the optical drive(s). If a higher-priority component eats some of the budget for one further down the chain, so be it.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i pulled out my wireless card and haven't had a problem since. i'm still looking into everything regarding the PSU.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Ah the perils of one piece of crappy hardware ruining the rest of the computer...
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    right. never buy Rosewill. This is the second thing i've bought from them. the first was a 2 dollar wireless mouse that broke literally 2 days after i got it. then there's this wireless card. the antenna started messing up shortly after i got it, and now it's been wreaking havoc on my entire system.

Rosewill blows. fact.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Same thing goes for Plantronics headsets by the way. ###### pieces of crap.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Corsair PSU > Rest.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Seasonic and Enermax PSUs > rest.

Trivia: Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic but are more expensive.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited July 2010
    Download a program called PC Check, make a boot disk, run it. It will check just about every aspect of your hardware that software could test and rule out anything. Could also be driver issues or software conflicts.