Why only Human maps?

RatheartRatheart Join Date: 2010-05-05 Member: 71624Members
Recalling all maps I have played all I can think back on are Maps that were originally Human territory that are now alien infested.

How about an alien home world?

Marine ship for marines however everything else on the map from that point is alien.... mushy, liquid, gas.... environmental :D

Correct me if I have forgotten of any maps like these but I really cant think of any.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    I guess, because the Khaara do not have a home world, remember they are just space bacteria that infest areas of interest :P
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    Because we're not able to create outside world environments as of yet.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It's an alien invasion, not an invasion on the aliens thus far.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1782465:date=Jul 24 2010, 06:33 PM:name=Ratheart)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ratheart @ Jul 24 2010, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Recalling all maps I have played all I can think back on are Maps that were originally Human territory that are now alien infested.

How about an alien home world?

Marine ship for marines however everything else on the map from that point is alien.... mushy, liquid, gas.... environmental :D

Correct me if I have forgotten of any maps like these but I really cant think of any.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would love to see something like in the movies aliens.
    But idk why they always did that marine maps.
    Good point Ratheart!
    I hope they did some Khaara planet map, don't have to be a big outdoor map.

<!--quoteo(post=1782503:date=Jul 24 2010, 08:25 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 24 2010, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's an alien invasion, not an invasion on the aliens thus far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pfff...why not?
    maybe the marines go through hyperspace :P
    Or some aliens get transported by a empty marine ship to a planet and the marines found them.
    So the ship fly into a mountain, and there you go a cave level, at the exit or "exits" is the ship of the marines and their spawnbase.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Because there will be Dynamic infistations on those human walls, floors etc. Also there is only one texture for the alien side.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2010
    The only chance of this happening is some sort of engine-optimization-miracle (or maybe they can hire more programmers with all the money they have now :P).

What i'm driving at is, the engine test does not run at 200+ fps and it SHOULD because their's not much actually in the game right now... no AI or enemies or anything like that. So when the time comes that the NS2 engine can render a flat-walled room as efficiently as NS1 (regardless of all the nice features like potentially-fps-intensive lighting effects [or whatever is really preventing this thing from peaking at 200])... then that's when people can start making high-poly organic maps.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    I don't think they can make outside environments are the moment. Because the Jetpack marines could fly off and so could the lerks.

The caves is a good idea having a full outside area with no vertical limits is a bit of a problem. Unless they make it so if you go out to far then you die or just drift off into space (and die, of course).

EDIT:
    Discluding unrealistic invisible walls.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can easily make a reason why nobody can fly off if you put a ship with a forcefield projector in the skybox.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1782478:date=Jul 25 2010, 03:03 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 25 2010, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess, because the Khaara do not have a home world, remember they are just space bacteria that infest areas of interest :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.

kharaa are overgrown bacteria :)
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    Yeah. The best you could do is a marine location that is extensively covered with infestation to the point that very little humanoid stuff is visible. But you can't do that with 1 texture as of now and a lot of extra art would have to be made for it (varying infest textures and an assortment of props like infested wallpannels, infested vents, web formations, and unique non-functional plant like growths.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    All you really need is some dynamic infestation generators for the editor, as well as a few alien-looking props/plants and stuff, the you could make a heavily and naturally xenoformed area.

But because the infestation is related to map control you can't spam it everywhere.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1782760:date=Jul 25 2010, 09:31 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 25 2010, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1782760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this.

kharaa are overgrown bacteria :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well to be fair, the Khaara bacteria could have evolved on a planet...

Or maybe Protoss made them before the Zerg, hence the releasedate of the Alpha one day before SC2... Khaara would kick Zerg but :P
  • RatheartRatheart Join Date: 2010-05-05 Member: 71624Members
    Skulk = Zergling
    Onos = Ultralisk
    Lerk = Multalisk
    Fade = Hydralisk??
    Gorge = Drone :D

"bacteria that infest areas of interest"
    Mabye they found a nice place to infect before any human life had found the locaiton.
    Thus making it a homeworld ;)

ns2_homeworld ..... chop chop
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1783372:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:18 PM:name=Ratheart)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ratheart @ Jul 26 2010, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk = Zergling
    Onos = Ultralisk
    Lerk = Multalisk
    Fade = Hydralisk??
    Gorge = Drone :D

"bacteria that infest areas of interest"
    Mabye they found a nice place to infect before any human life had found the locaiton.
    Thus making it a homeworld ;)

ns2_homeworld ..... chop chop<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the humans would never go there :P they would just nuke it from orbit.... its the only way to be sure.
  • RatheartRatheart Join Date: 2010-05-05 Member: 71624Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1783392:date=Jul 26 2010, 12:51 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jul 26 2010, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the humans would never go there :P they would just nuke it from orbit.... its the only way to be sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but would they know its infested without landing? :D
    Maybe the Kharaa are living underground or in a place un-scannable.

Team lands... boom fight breaks out.
    Humans must get to X location to call for nuclear strike.
  • ExceptorExceptor Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72558Members
    Its because Flayra cant go out in the space yet to get some textures.

lol
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members