This game is still Pre-Alpha

13»

Comments

• triathtriath New York Join Date: 2008-08-10 Member: 64785Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I'm not debating the fact that this is supposed to be the Alpha or that it's buggy which was indeed expected. I'm a little put off that a lot of us can't even get in servers to even do anything. To me that just seems like something that should have been caught already.

I'm curious about the in-house testing stuff and how many people they had cycling through it all internally. Maybe they should have somehow done the alpha launch in waves and done a rolling start type thing. Invite 50 people and work on the main issues maybe the connectivity issues pop up. Then invite 50 more and 100 more and so on and then when people can at least start to get into a server and get some load on the servers and code then unleash the flood gates.

Again I'm not saying I didn't except this to be a true Alpha build and be buggy as hell I just expected to be able to get into servers.

*Edit* Reading above I guess I was expecting more from a first alpha build regarding connectivity issues. Again you get a pool of 40 people and get some actual load and such going and I'm sure the issue would have popped up.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I love the way people try to give advice to programmers on the UWE dev team, giving the impression it is very easy or simply commonsense to bug test a complete engine. Bugs creep in and can be very elusive until you do some large scale testing.

But no, that is not true, it is all UWE's fault!!! They should have for seen all bugs that are possible... Orly? <-sarcasm for you who lack a sarcasm meter...

->
    When you post about some feature that isn't working in this alpha build and desperately want to post about it, because it hinders you playing the game (it's alpha, be happy it starts at all). Think about it for a while, to see how much of your post content is actually useful for UWE. Otherwise GTFO puhlease...

You know some of you might look back at some posts you made and think. Hmm, that was silly of me... how could I post that. D'oh!
  • HarathanHarathan Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72845Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787690:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:50 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 28 2010, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesnt matter what the stage is called, it is what we have and what needs fixing, its unplayable and buggy defending it makes no sense. It is obvious that some players are unhappy with the "alpha" so am I. I expected more from a product with a release date -1 year. I wonder who are more furious the ones who wanted more or the ones who are trying to cheat themselfs by saying its still in "alpha".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is an ALPHA. If it doesnt work for you (and Im going to put this in caps for effect) THEN THAT IS A GOOD THING. Because the fact that it doesnt work TELLS THE DEVS SOMETHING USEFUL, assuming you actually bother filing a useful bug report, complete with system specs (hardware, dx version, vga driver version, the whole lot) and any errors you got. Im assuming you havent bothered doing that, tho I'll happily be corrected.

If you can even get to the games main menu then you should be celebrating, because that is the ONLY expectation you should realistically have had. If you genuinely downloaded the Alpha fully expecting to play the game in any form then youre way off track and quite frankly you seriously need to have a think about wether or not youre really cut out for testing this game.

Coming on the forums and complaining that you cant play a game that SHOULDNT work properly at this point just makes every one of you who does it look like a drooling moron.
  • dutchmeatdutchmeat Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71794Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787771:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:14 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Jul 28 2010, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is an ALPHA. If it doesnt work for you (and Im going to put this in caps for effect) THEN THAT IS A GOOD THING. Because the fact that it doesnt work TELLS THE DEVS SOMETHING USEFUL, assuming you actually bother filing a useful bug report, complete with system specs (hardware, dx version, vga driver version, the whole lot)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wasn't that the whole point of having an ENGINE TEST ?
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787774:date=Jul 28 2010, 05:20 PM:name=dutchmeat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dutchmeat @ Jul 28 2010, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasn't that the whole point of having an ENGINE TEST ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I strongly suspect far fewer people engaged in the Engine Test than are engaging in the Alpha which automatically moves the testing targets beyond what was expected of the ET.

Also, the Alpha we're playing now is basically the Engine Test with server functionality and some more odd bits thrown in.

If it helps, think of the Alpha as a very very slightly more complete Engine Test. Here, you have the option to try and play online, but it probably wont work. If it doesnt, bug report it. If it does, bug report it as well. If the devs can see both who it is and isnt working for, it could potentially help narrow down the problem.

What youve got to understand is that if the Alpha doesnt work for you personally, thats still A Good Thing for the development process, as long as you provide thorough bug reports.
  • Dash-ElDash-El Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72925Members
    edited July 2010
    Per the OP, I think a lot stems from the expectations that were set going in. We are here to help the devs anyway we can. But without guidance on what they want/need help with we are confused and that can lead to frustration.

When Flayra says that, "However, we do believe it has the core essence of the game in it. There are marines and claws and commanders and resources. Players take on a variety of roles and attack the enemy while jabbering away over their microphones in beautiful, atmospheric sci-fi environments." it does set a certain kind of basic functional expectation.

Without a clear understanding of purpose its easy to get lost in the blemishes. In retrospect, I think they should have called this the 2nd engine test and had us run around for a bit on local servers at low detail as even attempting network play right now seems foolhardy.
    Good point, Dash. Perhaps if the Devs had set specific testing targets it would have prevented unrealistic expectations.

Having said that, a good tester sets their own targets in the absence of offical ones. Can I start the game, y/n. Can I access all the options, y/n. Can I start a play session, y/n. Can I connect to other peoples servers, y/n. What kind of frame rate am I getting at low/medium/high settings on a local game? What kind of frame rate am I getting at low/medium/high settings on a network/online game?

And at any point you hit a no instead of a yes, or any other problem, youve got a bug report.

What nobody should be doing it posting about how the rage is making their brains hurt because they should be able to actually play the game.
    hmm I don't think you can blame the community for raging when there's no real minimum requirements, or feedback form to begin with. It's like throwing a bone to a dog and get confused because he tries to bite it.
    This, how strange it may seem, is community behaviour without guidelines.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's Get Satisfaction and common sense. If stuff doesn't work, report it, give information about your system. If you need to have your hand held during an Alpha, then maybe you should possibly think about getting yourself a drool cup as well. It isn't very difficult. Start the game, if it crashes, put up a Thread on Get Satisfaction put your details up, all the information about your system. If you can get in, but it crashes at a certain point, thread about that, give as much information as you can. It isn't hard. Also another thing if you see that there's a thread SIMILAR to yours, don't post a new topic, REPLY to the similar topic and point out that YOU have the SAME problem. Stop making duplicate threads, it just wastes other peoples time reading it, whenever it could all be in a single thread.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    The opening message in game is press F1 to give feedback.
    But how do we get feedback?
    And what do the developers really want to know?

I believe there should be a thread on this forum that is monitored and CAN NOT be spammed, where useful questions and answers can be pinned.
  • JuraiJurai Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73178Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787214:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:48 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jul 28 2010, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quit posting "I've been in WoW beta!!!111" The WoW beta that's being released for public spectation isn't comparable. It's a beta for an expansion to an ultra-polished high-revenue game that's been bugtested for YEARS of RELEASED CONTENT.

If you were in WoW vanilla alpha, get back to me. I'm betting you weren't because it was terrible.

edit: It's been less than 24 hours after release and Max says he's already fixed the major unplayability issues for the next patch. 24 hours. Jesus, why am I even dignifying this thread with a second response.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was in F&F alpha with only 2 races playable.

looking forward to the updated build being pushed with connection stuff fixed
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    You will get feedback on your feedback on GetSatisfaction, if the UWE staff have time and feel your question/feedback needs answering.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787801:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:11 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Jul 28 2010, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The opening message in game is press F1 to give feedback.
    But how do we get feedback?
    And what do the developers really want to know?

I believe there should be a thread on this forum that is monitored and CAN NOT be spammed, where useful questions and answers can be pinned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's called GetSatisfaction and there are not 1 but 2 links to it in the stickies section.
    In fact here we will link it for you:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110350" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110350</a>

In this thread it explains how to report bugs, but feedback is also welcome.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787796:date=Jul 28 2010, 11:05 AM:name=dutchmeat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dutchmeat @ Jul 28 2010, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmm I don't think you can blame the community for raging when there's no real minimum requirements, or feedback form to begin with. It's like throwing a bone to a dog and get confused because he tries to bite it.
    This, how strange it may seem, is community behaviour without guidelines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

guess you missed the big red letters in the game that tells you were to send feedback -_-
    <!--quoteo(post=1787796:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:05 PM:name=dutchmeat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dutchmeat @ Jul 28 2010, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmm I don't think you can blame the community for raging when there's no ... <b>feedback form</b> to begin with. It's like throwing a bone to a dog and get confused because he tries to bite it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1787838:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:40 PM:name=Tesseract)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tesseract @ Jul 28 2010, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110350" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110350</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Technical discussions on what is an alpha and what isn't , are fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The playtester's (I would feel bad for saying "customer" , this is evoked often enough) first impression is what matters. I don't believe the majority cares about following proper game development protocols - but we can compare games. I preordered 3 other commercial games that give early alpha access , they lack a lot of content (that gets added over time) but are all perfectly playable since their release. NS2 certainly isn't. This is a disappointed expectation - I didn't mind UWE taking forever to make that game , but I expected the playable alpha to be playable.
  • EcklifeEcklife Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72446Members
    Theres always some F**K head thats negaive and complains realy pisses me off.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    Is anyone seriously caught up on what the "official definition" of an alpha is? You realize there's not a Testing Stage Enforcement Agency that goes around putting people who don't comply to official standards into black ops prison or something, right? This entire thread is absolutely meaningless.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787796:date=Jul 28 2010, 08:05 PM:name=dutchmeat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dutchmeat @ Jul 28 2010, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmm I don't think you can blame the community for raging when there's no real minimum requirements, or feedback form to begin with. It's like throwing a bone to a dog and get confused because he tries to bite it.
    This, how strange it may seem, is community behaviour without guidelines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's more like telling a dog that you'll give it a plastic bone, so don't expect it to taste too good, then giving the plastic bone, and after the dog tries to eat it and gets confused because it doesn't taste good, you tell the dog that it's made of plastic (AGAIN) but the dog just keeps trying to eat it because he's too dumb.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787783:date=Jul 28 2010, 11:39 AM:name=Dash-El)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dash-El @ Jul 28 2010, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When Flayra says that, "However, we do believe it has the core essence of the game in it. There are marines and claws and commanders and resources. Players take on a variety of roles and attack the enemy while jabbering away over their microphones in beautiful, atmospheric sci-fi environments." it does set a certain kind of basic functional expectation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although I have terrible lag and extremely low FPS which keeps me from playing like I would any other game I can still:

Take on a variety of roles
    Attack the enemy (even if they have to stop for me to do so)
    Jabber away in a microphone in an atmospheric sci-fi environment.

<b>There was no indication that there would be a playable game</b>, but some of the components that game will use will be there. I can see the skulk's model and skin, I can see the marine weapons, I can fire and bite with both, drop some items and talk to other people doing the same thing online. It does what I expect because it's an alpha!

If you want to play NS, wait for the beta. Getting the SE for <b>access to the alpha</b> doesn't mean you have to be a part of it.

snooggums
    From what i've seen the NS2 GetSatisfaction doesn't include any guidlines/templates on how to post feedback, like giving system information, fps, connection etc
    Which still doesn't help the team since most 'questions' are titled 'it doesn't work', or 'it doesn't connect'.
    If you require solid feedback, which you can actually use. And if I recall correctly, UWE didn't mention anything about feedback in the email or at the forum at the time of release.

And don't act like I'm a child, I've had my share of feedback problems when developing something.

Let's keep it with a 'its a learning process' statement for now, shall we?
  • nsx_nawensx_nawe Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72667Members
    The developers sure took a chance by releasing this, im not sure how all the Rage affects morale on the development team, i hope it doesnt hit it too strong.

Actually i thought this community was really much softer a few days ago, before the allpha was released xD
    Plain Complaining doesnt do sh$t, be constructive and let the guys work. Im sure sooner or later they'll get a really fine product and im looking forward to see it released on the steam store :) and with a huge userbase

Cheers!
    <!--quoteo(post=1787888:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:44 PM:name=nsx_nawe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nsx_nawe @ Jul 28 2010, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The developers sure took a chance by releasing this, im not sure how all the Rage affects morale on the development team, i hope it doesnt hit it too strong.
    Cheers!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It won't. They're smart guys and they knew this kind of response would be coming from people who had false expectations. They tried to prepare everyone for the reality as much as they could, but there are always going to be people who just don't get it, and those tend to be the vocal minority making threads about ridiculous things.
  • gehngehn Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72914Members
    This isn't just a NS2 test, this is also an engine test so lets keep that in mind.

Graphics engine, sound engine, network engine, etc.

oh, and NS2. :P
  • SychophantSychophant Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73240Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1787195:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:40 PM:name=Silver_Fox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silver_Fox @ Jul 27 2010, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hyperbole.

Unless you offer some sort of proof, I can't believe this is the case. In another post, someone else claimed to be an alpha tester for Wrath of the Litch King and said it was just as bad, if not worse than this. So, which of you are lying?

Hell, I got into the Cataclysm beta early on and nothing in that game worked. They just recently got the worgen quests working right so you can leave town.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The games worked. . . they may not have been balanced and they may have been riddled with bugs, but they worked. you could play it and enjoy it. I cant account for other cases, but I know i'm not falsifying anything. What kind of proof could I possibly give you. . . I played cataclysm Alpha. . . and it worked I dont know why your beta didnt, but I did stop playing after I hit the cap(82 when I played).
    <!--quoteo(post=1787992:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:10 PM:name=Sychophant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sychophant @ Jul 28 2010, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The games worked. . . they may not have been balanced and they may have been riddled with bugs, but they worked. you could play it and enjoy it. I cant account for other cases, but I know i'm not falsifying anything. What kind of proof could I possibly give you. . . I played cataclysm Alpha. . . and it worked I dont know why your beta didnt, but I did stop playing after I hit the cap(82 when I played).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once again...

<!--quoteo(post=1787992:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:10 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jul 28 2010, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quit posting "I've been in WoW beta!!!111" The WoW beta that's being released for public spectation isn't comparable. It's a beta for an expansion to an ultra-polished high-revenue game that's been bugtested for YEARS of RELEASED CONTENT.

If you were in WoW vanilla alpha, get back to me. I'm betting you weren't because it was terrible.

edit: It's been less than 24 hours after release and Max says he's already fixed the major unplayability issues for the next patch. 24 hours. Jesus, why am I even dignifying this thread with a second response.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since I posted that, it's now been less than 48 hours since alpha release and Max said they'll be releasing the update today. Additionally, shut the hell up about WoW. The only comparison you could make would be vanilla alpha; new expansions are building on a tested engine. In fact you really can't compare this to the alpha of most games because most games license out an engine.
  • gehngehn Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72914Members
    You guys should stop making relationships between Valves Betas and Blizzards betas and whatnot. They don't have to be all the same and they won't be.

Hell, Google recently brought gmail out of "beta". Clearly it is based solely on what that specific company considers it.