Alien Lifeform Abilities Discussion

QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Bugs and/or additions</div>What is everyone's experience with using the alien lifeform abilities?

My first head-scratcher was with the Skulk leap. It seems you cannot leap if you are too close to something (and facing it). I assumed leap would do some damage as it does in NS1, but NS2 won't let you leap against a building, for example. Bug or feature? Is leap purely a movement ability now or does it still do damage?

Gorge: It would be nice if there was some kind of on-screen indication that you are hunkering down (crouch ability). The bitecam animation changes slightly, but it's easy to miss. I expected to see the gorge's front paw in the field of view as that's what the third person animation plays. Even a little icon showing you in a crouched state would help.
Also, I think the icons on the bottom right are mixed up. The icon corresponding to "1" looks like the icon of a Hydra, and "2" that of spit, though the actual abilities are the reverse! Need to swap the icons.

Lerk: Like the gorge, the "roosting" needs some sort of indicator. It's hard to tell if you have attached or not. This can be done with an animation or icon. Maybe it was just hit detection, but it seemed like the primary fire of the spike ability did zero damage to structures. Only the sniper mode seemed to do any damage. Spores need to have a projectile animation like NS1. It's too hard to tell where it's coming from in NS2 as the cloud just appears instantly.

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    concerning the lerk's roost, are you supposed to fall off after 10 seconds of being perched? i could be wrong but i don't remember it draining any energy. I'd think that it would make more sense to hang there for as long as you want.
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    What I noticed was that the lerk spikes seemed to have a range limit, from a certain distance they won't do any damage.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    How exactly do you roost? Common sense would tell me shift or ctrl, but neither seem to do it. Anything I'm missing?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787138:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:06 PM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Jul 27 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How exactly do you roost? Common sense would tell me shift or ctrl, but neither seem to do it. Anything I'm missing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hold down the spacebar. Weird, but true. Ctrl would be the better choice, honestly.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    I'm pretty sure I had my skulk using leap 2 times on one press of the button (it jumped quite a lot further), but I haven't managed to do it again, so it might've been my imagination..
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787142:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:08 PM:name=Mahmutti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mahmutti @ Jul 27 2010, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure I had my skulk using leap 2 times on one press of the button (it jumped quite a lot further), but I haven't managed to do it again, so it might've been my imagination..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i had that happening a few times when jumping up on pipes and low ceilings.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787141:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:07 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 28 2010, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hold down the spacebar. Weird, but true. Ctrl would be the better choice, honestly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought and still kind of do think that was just a bug with flight :o The model does not go upside down in third person and it's less like being attatched to the ceiling and more like just flying into the ceiling.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1787150:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:12 PM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Jul 27 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought and still kind of do think that was just a bug with flight :o The model does not go upside down in third person and it's less like being attatched to the ceiling and more like just flying into the ceiling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, you stay there as long as you hold it down, so I assume that's how it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It should have a brief animation of perching there though.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787152:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:14 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 28 2010, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, you stay there as long as you hold it down, so I assume that's how it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It should have a brief animation of perching there though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think there's a help-tip-thingy that you get as a lerk, telling you that you can hold space to hang on the ceilings.
  • Secret Agent CowSecret Agent Cow Join Date: 2009-02-05 Member: 66316Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787108:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:49 PM:name=DizzyOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DizzyOne @ Jul 27 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I noticed was that the lerk spikes seemed to have a range limit, from a certain distance they won't do any damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From what I can tell the spikes (excluding sniper spikes) are actually affected by gravity. I can hit fairly far away objects with the lerk spikes if I am aiming upwards, of course that isn't to say that there is indeed a limit to the range as eventually no matter how far you aim upwards gravity will bring your spikes down eventually. I am sure that they will add visible spikes after they are shot just as they will similarly with bullet impacts.
  • KompatriotKompatriot Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70144Members
    I think spacebar might actually be a good idea (haven't tried it yet). Basically, you see a place you'd like to perch, and you glide there. It occurs in a single button press, no fiddling, and if the key is held there is no fiddly timing involved.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787172:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:26 PM:name=Kompatriot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kompatriot @ Jul 27 2010, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think spacebar might actually be a good idea (haven't tried it yet). Basically, you see a place you'd like to perch, and you glide there. It occurs in a single button press, no fiddling, and if the key is held there is no fiddly timing involved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if you swoop down from a shaft and want to glide along the ceiling?
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Every thing in this thread is subject to, and will likely, change.

Just trying to keep some perspective.
  • ReKReK Join Date: 2004-08-30 Member: 31058Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Lerk spikes = l0rk on the cl0rf

That is all.
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    Little suggestion: would be awesome if we could gather the relevant things in the respective class/lifeform thingy post. (only Gorge atm). I for one do not like the GetSatisfaction system and it's much easier to discuss things on this forum and exchange ideas/issues etc.

In order to minimize double posting and information mess we should try and have em at the right places :)
  • KompatriotKompatriot Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70144Members
    Yeah, I'll have to rescind my preemptive opinion that spacebar for perch is decent.

I couldn't even get it to work at all, not withstanding what Quovatis said.
    Well, in my testing, I kept constantly getting pegged to the ceiling when I fly near the it, yet don't intend to roost. It would be bad to roost when you're trying to make a getaway. It needs a separate key. Roost also seems buggy in that you will keep sliding around if you weren't perfectly stationary when you roosted.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Skulks bites use no energy.

Weird...
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787331:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:45 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 27 2010, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks bites use no energy.

Weird...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I think energy regens faster than you can spend it on bite because the cost is just so low. This is something that can easily be addressed (assuming it needs to be) once balance tweaks begin.
  • BrainbeatBrainbeat Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73259Members
    From a skulk perspective : their bites when not upgraded uses very little energy and you could mostly just spamm it at will but when upgraded it would use more. Skulks need the ability to go invisible and inaudible (when upgraded) if they are not already as half their play style is ambush attacks. One think I would like to see would be some way of attacking a little more easy as a skulk in that it can be difficult some times to tell how far away your target is actually from you especially once you have bitten all you can see is teeth which I think the camera position would be better if put outside of the mouth and maybe you could tell the depth of your mouth more easy.

Gorge: Where is web, bile bomb and web swing? These all had good uses. Allowing you to web up the entrance of your base allowed you a few more seconds for defenders to get the attackers before they could damage the hive. bile bomb was good to be a battle gorge and have a low range attack that could do more damage to structures where you could build on yourself. web swinging allowed a gorge to get off the ground as gorges in ns1 could not jump and can now just way too high for they body type in my opinion. It meant a gorge could get on top of the hive or into vents which were safe places to hide until something needed to be built.
    Like others have said above the other current abilities need some work and from a personal perspective I liked how you were the build stuff class which you are not so much now.

lurker: not got much to say here as I was never one to play them much anyway as I felt they were less effective class that the other ones but they should be able to pick up guys (both sides) if they can't now.

other: I want my onos :)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Forgive me if this is already posted but you cant shoot as a gorge if you jump.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'm sad there will be not web ability that was my favourite thing to do in NS1 :(
  • BrainbeatBrainbeat Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73259Members
    One other thing I was going to say in my post above was the evolution is way to fast at the moment it should take a similar time to what it did in NS1.