Anyone Know Of A Pc Title That Has A Firefight Mode Like ODST/Reach?

DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can't Comm.England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Looking for some multiplayer chaos that isn't L4D2 for a change.</div>I enjoyed playing ODST's Firefight mode with friends and it's looking like Reach will have <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/10/video-halo-reachs-firefight-as-previewed-by-bungie/" target="_blank">more of the same</a>.

But the majority of my friends are PC gamers and it's usually the same group of 5-10 playing the same games.
(Left 4 Dead 2, Trackmania, Company of Heroes Online, WoW, etc)

So I'm looking for a title that has something very similar. Wave after wave of enemies, chaotic but fun.

I'm surprised Halo 3, ODST and reach aren't PC titles as well. It'd boost sales and probably isn't that difficult to port over? (They did it with Halo 1 + 2)

So your suggestions are more than welcome, I've pointed a few friends in the direction of <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111073" target="_blank">FireFall (as recommended by WhiteZero)</a> but with no details of dates for beta etc we're still looking.

Side-note: We've done the majority of L4D, L4D2 and Borderlands to name but a few.

Comments

• MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I Wouldn't Know Anything About That I'm Afraid.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I haven't played Halo ODST, so I don't know what Firefight is, but it looks like waves and waves of AI assaulting you.

Other PC games I know of in a similar vein include Killing Floor. It also had the Defense Alliance 2 mod, but that seems to have died. There are a couple Source mods that involve one player controlling RTS style the AI hordes, but I can't recommend them in good faith.

There's always Sven Co-op as well.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    Maybe <i>Dawn of War II</i>/<i>Chaos Rising</i>'s The Last Stand mode is basically 3 Warhammer 40k heroes that you level up using RPG-style abilities to defeat wave after wave up to level 20. There are 5 characters and you'll have to use a lot of teamwork to beat level 20, although there is only 1 arena, so it might be short-lived after that. It's an add-on to the core game, to which there's always the co-op singleplayer to go through if you fancy it, but that's only 2 players.

Sadly that's all I got. But looking forward to Fire Fall. :)

Oh and maybe check out Iron Grip: Warlords if it's cheap. Or Red Orchestra (but that can be a bit hardcore).
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798223:date=Sep 11 2010, 08:45 PM:name=DY357LX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DY357LX @ Sep 11 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm surprised Halo 3, ODST and reach aren't PC titles as well. It'd boost sales and probably isn't that difficult to port over? (They did it with Halo 1 + 2)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They did it with Halo 1 and 2, which suggests they have a reason for not continuing the practice.
    I can think of two possibilities, not mutually exclusive:
    1) Port not profitable.
    2) Profit from port does not outweigh profit from keeping the game 360-exclusive. Keep in mind Halo is an Xbox "killer app," a game that in addition to the revenue it generates through sales alone also provides value to the platform itself by forcing anyone who wants to play it to buy an Xbox.

Probably mostly the second one, with perhaps some of the first one thrown in as well. Halo for PC didn't sell that well. Halo 2 was crippleware, requiring Windows Vista to play even though there was nothing the game required that Windows XP didn't offer. This likely negatively impacted sales as well.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    crippleware eh?

interesting

[edit]
    dyslexic, there is this awesome game called Natural Selection, it has this mode called ns_ mighty have what you seek
    [/edit]
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    Killing Floor, good suggestion. I played it via a Steam demo a few months back and it was good.

I've been wondering if such a mode would be possible via a mod in something like a GMod. I'll take a look on their forums a bit later.

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798242:date=Sep 11 2010, 03:18 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Sep 11 2010, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh and maybe check out Iron Grip: Warlords if it's cheap. Or Red Orchestra (but that can be a bit hardcore).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

RO is a PvP game I thought. Not against bots.

Iron Grip had good potential, but the gameplay when I tried the demo felt flat. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think it was because the AI was too dumb. After all, you are pretty much playing turret defense with the players as the turrets.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    Gears of War 2 has horde mode which I think might be close to the same idea
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1798263:date=Sep 12 2010, 05:41 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Sep 12 2010, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RO is a PvP game I thought. Not against bots.

Iron Grip had good potential, but the gameplay when I tried the demo felt flat. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think it was because the AI was too dumb. After all, you are pretty much playing turret defense with the players as the turrets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It's P+EvE with bot hordes on both sides. It's basically co-op FPS tower defence. And I agree that the AI was a big issue, especially considering it is PvE, but if it's cheap enough it's worth checking out for something a little bit different. As the OP has already played most things (including Borderlands) and is hungry for more, the 4-pack might fit their price bracket.

Maybe someone who bought the game can comment on the current state of playerbase and servers.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798253:date=Sep 12 2010, 01:24 AM:name=DY357LX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DY357LX @ Sep 12 2010, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Killing Floor, good suggestion. I played it via a Steam demo a few months back and it was good.

I've been wondering if such a mode would be possible via a mod in something like a GMod. I'll take a look on their forums a bit later.

.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I havent played odst or reach, as they seem to require xbox. I dont have xbox and dont want it, so obviously I wont buy it just to play halo.

But one guy said it was hordes of ais attacking you, which reminds me of a few gmod gamemodes.
    One would be zombie survival, another is onslaught, and I am sure there is more, as I only played a fraction of all the gamemodes there is for gmod.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Unreal Tournament 2004 has some 'invasion' game mode, but it seemed extremely dull and incomplete on a quick test run. Basically they filled a DM map with some creature looking target markers. There didn't seem to be any kind of actual dynamic in battling the AI, just run around and shoot them.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    The Starship Troopers FPS game! If you can see beyond quite a few bad design choices, bugs(lolol) and the like you have an awesome slaughterfest game. Missile launcher that clears an entire battlefield! (non scripted) and a rocket launcher with increasing RoF as you hold the trigger down. It was tough, but I liked the game.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    A few Modded UT3 servers used to have that. Don't know if any are around anymore though.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    Cod 5 Nazi Zombie maps?