Controller Support

thefishythefishy Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69420Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Game controller support</div>I thought it would nice to have some controller support, most games now days have them and I wanted to ask to include support for an xbox 360 controller or logitech controllers.

thanks for your time.

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Well, it all depends on how many keybinds there will be for the game.
    Right off the bat i can imagine it beeing hard to use a gamepad effectively as the commander for instance..
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Not to mention how terrible gamepads are compared to a standard keyboard and mouse, though I suppose I could see *having* the option, for those who want to cripple themselves. So long as no auto-aim or other compensations are included.

Agreed on the Commander view, though I could see playing any of the other classes (given NS1's radial menu style) with a gamepad at least having no unworkable interface issues.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I admit I'm biased towards keyboard and mouse. However, I cannot realistically see a dual stick keeping up with a single skulk or fade, period. They bounce ALL OVER the place and would be next to impossible to track without a mouse.

This actually goes double for anyone playing skulk, lerk, or fade. You can't move properly at full speed with a joystick making tight turns around the narrow corridors. I also cannot see any melee alien biting a marine while trying to dodge fire, and while the marine is hopping around trying to dodge.

IMO dual stick would need auto aim assistance or lock-on. I feel neither has a place in NS2.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    Controller Support is no problem at all. (in commander mode you would have to point an click - via analog stick controlled mouse curser =><b> no fun</b>)
    The Problem is, this game isn't optimized for playing with such an input device...

Console FPS (Games that are aimed to be played with a game-pad) usually have larger hit-boxes and/or aim assist mechanics (besides a lot other stuff) -
    NS2 is aimed for the normal <u><b>pc gamer</b></u> - and the normal pc gamer plays with keyboard and mouse.

It <b>wouldn't</b> <b>be</b> fair/<b>fun</b> to match-up ppl with different input devices (the industry tried that and failed miserably, crossover game for xbox and pc players, dunno the name anymore [that's how bad it failed^^]) -> thus needing a separate game mode(besides other stuff), optimized for game-pad players only.

This costs time (= money), for a feature that wont be used by 99% (totally made up - just a guess) of Ns2 players (Multiplayer FPS <u><b>PC Gamers</b></u>).

<b>So how can it still work?</b>
    There are programs out there that would do the job, like "<b>xPadder</b>". (Simulate Keystrokes, use the Analog sticks as mouse input etc.)

<b>How can you make it fun?</b>
    NS2 is aimed for the modding community -> You can customize a lot.
    So all u need is a vanilla mod tweaked for gamepad players -> Run a Server with this Mod and u re done.
    The only problem left - the game would need a mechanic to detect if a player is really playing with a gamepad - or not. Dunno how.
    (consols dont know it either and there are ppl that play with mouse and keyboard with a little modding, but its rare -> like gamepads on a pc fps - i guess u have to life with that)

PS:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>most games now days have them</u> and I wanted to ask to include support for an xbox 360 controller or logitech controllers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How many Non coop only Multiplayer FPS have u seen with controller support?
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exactly, I have no problem if there is a console version to NS2 at some point, or if a server really wants to go out of its way to run a special version aimed at dual stick users. (though I don't see it happening)

However, mixing and matching is unfair to both sides. Even if you made it possible to tell which clients are using which modes and balance each client separately, it's only a matter of time before abuse makes us see mouse users with the increased hitboxes etc. I'm also just opposed to having rules for one guy and different rules for the next guy. *shrug*

Now Left 4 Dead does support controllers on the PC. I've used it when playing local splitscreen in the original when a friend wanted to try. Does it work? Yep. Was the controller user at a disadvantage? After playing side by side like that, I honestly believe so. And that was just against the AI zombies. Versus would have been worse.

I believe the crossover game you were thinking of was Shadowrun, or something like that? :P
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1802402:date=Oct 22 2010, 04:57 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Oct 22 2010, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe the crossover game you were thinking of was Shadowrun, or something like that? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, Shadowrun arbitrarily added worse aim to PC gamers to help "balance". Overall, the game didn't need the rage of PC gamers to help it fail though.