Flamethrower animation

HashashinHashashin Join Date: 2010-04-15 Member: 71416Members
edited November 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
Not to insult your art team, but the current flamethrower animation looks like a puffy cloud, rather than true awesome fire.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmE-emrrAs&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dmE-emrrAs...feature=related</a> is what it should look like, imo.

Also, its kind of weird how when you move forward, the flames start moving with you.

Edit.
I hate to bring up the newer AvP, but I think they got the flamethrower spot on.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMmEDN7yIE&feature=fvsr" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMmEDN7yIE&feature=fvsr</a> (ignore the intro and music)

Comments

• Killpo1Killpo1 Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69373Members
    edited November 2010
    I highly think that their current version of the flamethrowers flame effect is not the final version, I think it's basically just a cheap stand in to not kill performance, and also because they wanted to get the flamethrower in so marines has some change of not being destroyed by Hydra rushes.

But yeah I do agree that AVP's flamethrower does kick ass, however I wish it had some more cone, seem like it's almost launching the fuel instead of letting the pressure of the tank let it spew out.
  • mary123mary123 Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77376Members
    hello!
    I have a feeling that they are closely running out of money, hence the need to attract more preorders.. if this means that we can have a longer beta phase where the game can be properly polished, then Im all for it.

From a traditional game development point of view I gotta agree though, I dont think NS2 is ready for beta at all.
    thanks...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1804604:date=Nov 6 2010, 03:27 AM:name=Killpo1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Killpo1 @ Nov 6 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I highly think that their current version of the flamethrowers flame effect is not the final version, I think it's basically just a cheap stand in to not kill performance, and also because they wanted to get the flamethrower in so marines has some change of not being destroyed by Hydra rushes.

But yeah I do agree that AVP's flamethrower does kick ass, however I wish it had some more cone, seem like it's almost launching the fuel instead of letting the pressure of the tank let it spew out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, the flamethrower effect does kill performance, which is making testing less enjoyable. =(
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824278:date=Jan 14 2011, 12:23 AM:name=mary123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mary123 @ Jan 14 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello!
    I have a feeling that they are closely running out of money, hence the need to attract more preorders.. if this means that we can have a longer beta phase where the game can be properly polished, then Im all for it.

From a traditional game development point of view I gotta agree though, I dont think NS2 is ready for beta at all.
    thanks...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it was silly to introduce flamethrowers and not Onos at the same time. GRANTED, I'm glad they introduced flamethrowers because there's a lot of things that needs to be changed.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824278:date=Jan 14 2011, 04:23 AM:name=mary123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mary123 @ Jan 14 2011, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello!

I think they are only calling it beta to attract more buyers... its barely at an alpha stage now.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1804602:date=Nov 5 2010, 08:04 AM:name=Hashashin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hashashin @ Nov 5 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit.
    I hate to bring up the newer AvP, but I think they got the flamethrower spot on.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMmEDN7yIE&feature=fvsr" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMmEDN7yIE&feature=fvsr</a> (ignore the intro and music)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, if we could have fades crawl on the ground and then explode after being set on fire, that would be awesome.
  • NoOtherDestinyNoOtherDestiny Join Date: 2003-07-31 Member: 18627Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824278:date=Jan 14 2011, 03:23 AM:name=mary123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mary123 @ Jan 14 2011, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hello!

This post was not even on topic what so ever. Seems to be someone just creating random accounts to place doubt on NS2, wonder who'd do that lol.

On topic... I think there needs to be a lot of changes to FTs. They look crappy, and how they play out isn't exactly balanced.
  • FrohmanFrohman Join Date: 2010-12-25 Member: 75933Members
    edited January 2011
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-0mDy-YTgE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-0mDy-YTgE</a>

Ignore the outdated textures in general and for the particles and the like, focus on the actual dynamics of the flamethrower (fuel stream, deflection). In my opinion, one of the best game flamethrowers (it's a challenge NOT to find your generic particle emitter with no further dynamics than that), mostly due to its dynamics and how it is essentially a compromise between your pure "stream of flaming fuel" type and the seemingly popular Hollywood-esque "gas thrower".

EDIT: I figured I should add that I'm not suggesting this exact flamethrower effect be used, almost entirely because it would be an impossible feat (Natural Selection 2 is not running on the Source engine), but also because it is not "current gen" enough for the vast majority to consider decent. This style of effect could simply be considered when creating one for NS2 - smooth non-locally restricted streams of flame (with your expected puffs of flame, blah blah blah stuck on top of it).

I made a couple of posts describing the implementation of a similar effect in a previous flamethrower effect thread ("particle gravitation" or something).

Cheers,
    Frohman
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    I thought maybe mary was a bot, but I didn't see any spam links in their profile or anything.

Still, I feel like I've read those exact lines before from a far more active forum member.