Let's talk about resource nodes

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I was reading the mapping guidelines last night, and it struck me that they state that the number of res nodes per map should be N+1 or N+2 where N is the number of tech points on the map. Just going from recollection, it seemed that the original NS had a lot more res nodes than open hive spots (e.g. tanith had 9). I realize that this is because res nodes now have upgrades to increase the rate of resource generation; but part of me wonders if this promotes turtling, because it seems like it's rather easy to tech up to end-game just on 2 upgraded res nodes. I

In NS1, a significant portion of a gorge or commander's resources went to capping and recapping nodes. At any time, perhaps only 2-4 resource nodes were "secure," and even then a particularly well-executed attack could destroy res towers that were "locked down." As a result, teams had to constantly push out and patrol territory, pressure the other team to prevent bases from being overrun. Just from my initial feel from b155, it seems like it's way too easy to lock down a base with the base node + the expansion node, then camp and defend until advanced tech becomes available. Partially this is due to static defenses being too strong right now (Whip definitely needs to be a tier 2 structure btw).

It seems to me that with only N+1 or N+2 nodes, 2 of which will be spawn area nodes, and 2 of which will probably be easily accessible/defensible expansion nodes, then there will be only 2-4 nodes to fight over, none of which will make a big impact because if territories are exchanged often, then the nodes won't have time to 1) pay for themselves or 2) be upgraded.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would like to see more resource nodes in play. More resource nodes means that map control is more important, giving teams an incentive to fight to take and hold territory. Anyone else?

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    yea i reckon just about all the structures need higher resource costs, its quite easy to survive with olny 1 or 2 resnodes in ns2. Seems like multiple CC is more important than RN.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Im not in the beta atm, so i dont have any actual experience of gameplay flow but it seems like both teams start of with quite a decent resourcepool.
    In the livestreams i watched (the one linked in a thread in the forum) it seems like khaara can rush 3 hives instantly, and thats before a single resnode's capped (atleast as far as i saw).

So i think a big problem is the resource welfare that seems to be overflowing the servers, if resources were harder to come buy, people would cherish the resnodes more and then the turfwar is automatically on its way.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    As a player who hasn't played NS1, and doesn't have the expertise to competently comment on the balance of the game. I observed that, in one game, the aliens set up a forward base very early on with just 2 res-nodes and 3 hives. Needless to say, with our base in a state of disrepair as a result of the offensive push, we lost.

Personally I believe, if there were more territories to "claim" that couldn't adequately be protected by more automated means (IPs/MGs) creating power-struggle situations, the games would be more drawn out, more action-packed and generally more entertaining.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Definitely agree. More maps and bigger maps need to be created since we're in Beta now and clients can handle bigger maps.

I think 4-5 resource nodes per team is a good average. That's a natural expansion and 2-3 battleground expansions for each team. So 8-10 resource nodes total for the average game would be good.

We want a couple low resource maps to have quick rush games on (6 nodes) and a few high resource maps to have long and drawn out high tech battles on (12-15 nodes) so NS2 provides a plethora of game options.

The turtling problem will definitely be solved by NS2 identical resource systems. Allow me to prove it.

NS2 Marines can turtle just as well (or even better if you can upgrade resource towers), but aliens now reap the rewards of total resource acquisition immediately so there's no 4 minute grace period before aliens build up 50 resources each to buy a fade each. Even if NS2 Marines get one ninja JP/SG trying to set up the one ninja PG, it will be fighting whatever the aliens had before plus 3 more fades and probably 5 more whips and probably 10 more hydras. And even if they do some how beat that and ninja assault a hive and 2 resource nodes and claw back into the game barely, the aliens will have had 8 resource nodes for 2 minutes and still be at an advantage.

If the marines can over come that, it's because of luck and skill. Not because the alien's resource model is stupidly and brokenly underpowered in comparison to marines' model. And that would be a great game.

I'm so very relieved and pleased NS2 won't be that imbalanced for resource acquisition, that Unknown Worlds Entertainment has learned lessons from making a great modification and will make an even better game.
  • CameronCameron Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75152Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808484:date=Nov 22 2010, 11:08 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 22 2010, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Im not in the beta atm, so i dont have any actual experience of gameplay flow but it seems like both teams start of with quite a decent resourcepool.
    In the livestreams i watched (the one linked in a thread in the forum) it seems like khaara can rush 3 hives instantly, and thats before a single resnode's capped (atleast as far as i saw).

So i think a big problem is the resource welfare that seems to be overflowing the servers, if resources were harder to come buy, people would cherish the resnodes more and then the turfwar is automatically on its way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is because it makes it 100000x easier to tech up and actually test other things then just skulk and gorge
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Nothing is balanced yet guys, dw. If they were, 1 flamethrower would be gg for the kharaa.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    "Just from my initial feel from b155, it seems like it's way too easy to lock down a base with the base node + the expansion node, then camp and defend until advanced tech becomes available."

Ono's haven't even been added yet, this is to early to judge as of yet, at least wait till all the alien classes are in.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i know it's not balanced yet, that's not the point. i'm just suggesting that in the long run, a low res node count will promote turtling.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808522:date=Nov 22 2010, 07:04 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 22 2010, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i know it's not balanced yet, that's not the point. i'm just suggesting that in the long run, a low res node count will promote turtling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agree.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808511:date=Nov 22 2010, 11:32 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Nov 22 2010, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Just from my initial feel from b155, it seems like it's way too easy to lock down a base with the base node + the expansion node, then camp and defend until advanced tech becomes available."

Ono's haven't even been added yet, this is to early to judge as of yet, at least wait till all the alien classes are in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

naah it seems that you need 3 hives or CCs
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I agree, too. One of the most important things in NS1 was for skulks to sneak to RTs and eat them and one or two rines trying to prevent them from doing that. Well, with 4 RTs there's nothing to sneak...there's only turtling. It sounds more like endless mass-battles.
    I hope they will do a remake of tanith or veil or something, in it's original proportions.

Of course the game is not balanced yet, but plz don't let it be like Fade up after 2 minutes. Not the start has to be faster, the end as to be (in NS1 you know 10 minutes before the game ends, who the winner is).
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Well if you go by the N+2 guideline, and the 6 tech points per map guideline, then you should be at 8 res nodes, which is just one shy of ns_tanith. I think that would work fairly.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited November 2010
    The issue with NS1 was that marines at full tech was generally superior to aliens. Aliens in NS2 will be getting their own siege and will be balanced to stand even with marines, so if marines only turtle with two res nodes, they'll be at a tremendous disadvantage as aliens should have control of the rest of the map. It's just like when someone turtles in an RTS, the opponent can build their army and expand quickly to gain the upper hand. Once the opponent gets siege, they can start whittling the enemy down until they force a controntation (and win with their superior army that they gained from having more resources). Once more features are implemented, units and the resources are balanced (right now resources are a non-issue after 5 minutes or less) it shouldn't be an problem.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    With just 2 upgraded res nodes, I find I have far too much resources, I'm teching up like mad constantly, and I stil have far too much res to spend, this really spoils the fun as I'm able to build/replace constantly without fear of being skint. Uknown Worlds, please make it harder, teching up this fast just isn't enjoyable. Turtling is a BAD thing to promote, I fear we'll see alot of this in NS2. :(
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    Yes imo, game's should be encouragwderd to last 30-45 minutes, thats when NS is at its best long epic macro battles. Just seeing how fast teh mariens can tech up to flamethrowers and rush in and try to kill hive is pretty lame....
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1808864:date=Nov 22 2010, 09:51 PM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Nov 22 2010, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With just 2 upgraded res nodes, I find I have far too much resources, I'm teching up like mad constantly, and I stil have far too much res to spend, this really spoils the fun as I'm able to build/replace constantly without fear of being skint. Uknown Worlds, please make it harder, teching up this fast just isn't enjoyable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this

I understand that having plenty of res allows players to test/have fun with their advanced classes in the short amounts of time servers are currently stable, but in the long run either costs will have to be jacked up, res intake drastically reduced, or just nix the whole upgrading RTs.
    (however, I like the idea that even a team that can only secure one RT will still have res to have a small chance)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Less points of interesst = clearer points of action.

Maps are smaller now for more intense action => no place for a RT at every corner.

Aliens are faster = its easier to get map control on big maps with lots of rts....
    No phasegate anymore.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    No Phase Gate is sad. I love the "PHASE!!!!" - dingdingdingdingdingdingding (10 players standing, looking into the light).

No sarcasm, I love it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    You can research some kind of phasegate at the obs... It will teleport you back to your squad - battlefield bad company2 style. (i guess)
  • Hot CoffeeHot Coffee Join Date: 2010-11-03 Member: 74744Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Not sure if I'm a fan of the increased res production since it does promote turtling like you say. On the other hand it makes it so it's not impossible to make a comeback if you're down to 1-2 nodes (though you won't really see scenarios like this until the game is balanced). I've commed a few games and it does seem like I have too much res even with only 1-2 nodes; I don't need to really manage it at all. I expect this will be fixed when the dev team starts balancing the gameplay, though.
  • AfanAfan Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73276Members
    I think the general rule would be to have sufficient resources you should have to own around 75% of the resource nodes. This would make both teams slightly starved or resources and you would have to decide what tech you could get and what you can't because of a lack of resources.