Fade Blink - Resolving Disorientation

2»

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811885:date=Nov 29 2010, 07:28 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Nov 29 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Suggestion:
    * Blink makes you invisible
    * Blink lets you clip through marines, marine structures and most important you are ignored by hitscan weapons. explosives deal reduced damage
    * The twist: FLY mode a la unreal engine type games (100% aircontrol, gravity not applied, you fly where you point) - "noclip" is to powerfull and eats to much power itself (hall of mirrors anyone? or xray wallhacks showing the whole map? good bye, ambient occlution).
    * Blink duration needs to be playtested, but at its end you fade in with a "warp flash" thats not providing lightning to the geometry around you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds a lot like the Phase for Sirens in Borderlands. Sounds cool. And of course cap duration and give it adrenaline consumption so people can't use it to hang out invisible too long.

Only problem is I'll miss the satisfying insta-port we have now.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    the thing is, the suggestion is awesome and cool... but a little late.
    the fade Blink is already in, and I doubt that UW is willing to completely rework it, practically going back to their flying fade in 3.2, (taken, he's invisible and noclipping..) while, on another thread, good workable solutions to the current problems are given that require less work and keep their vision of blink. a teleport.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I tend to agree that UWE isn't going to rework the blink mechanic. I'm sure a ton of work has already gone into it.

One question I haven't seen in the Fade/Blink discussions is: Should a Fade's momentum carry through blinking?

In other words, should coming out of blink apply the momentum/velocity the fade had when it blinked? I ask this, because in the reveal vid when the Fade blinks in from the ceiling he follows an angled path. I'm not suggesting the gameplay should 1:1 be modeled after the reveal vid, but adding momentum allows for some interesting option when attacking from above or getting around sentries. This of course would need to be capped, so you couldn't "Bunny-Blink". You currently stop dead in you tracks when coming out of blink.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1811961:date=Nov 30 2010, 04:08 AM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Nov 30 2010, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tk-421, I've used a seperate thread because it's a seperate Idea/Suggestion, that just happens to be about resolving the same issue, a perception that the new Blink could be implemented in a better way. I'll happily take a second Moderator opinion on it, but it seemed the more appropriate thing to do. *Grin*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

KK, just felt like I needed to give you some flak about it ;-) All good.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812131:date=Nov 30 2010, 05:18 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Nov 30 2010, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One question I haven't seen in the Fade/Blink discussions is: Should a Fade's momentum carry through blinking?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or in simpler terms: speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out?
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    from a logical point of view, no.
    from a gameplay point of view.. dunno.