When are the devs going to dev again?

scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
<div class="IPBDescription">When are the devs going to dev again?</div>Ermm... so are they seriously taking over a 30day break from development? It's still november for christ sake... when they said they were taking a xmas break i was thinking more around the 22-28th of December, not a month before hand...

When are they expected back developing after xmas?

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    LOL?
    They said a break for thanksgiving, and like anyone else I assume that in christmas they will do it again, as on new year, but they never said a month.
    They are currently working.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Huh? They took a thanksgiving break, not a christmas one. They are back to work today given that some changes have been made on the progress page today (LUA weapon displays delivered).
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    So i just learnt from wikipedia that thanksgiving <> xmas aparently

2010 date
    October 11, 2010 (Canada);
    November 25, 2010 (USA)

why you guys need two days to celebrate 'jesus' and stuff is beyond me... but whatever.

is they are working then how come the progress tracker isnt changing?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    isn't thanksgiving about the farmer that got the food from the fields and stuff? i'm from europe so i have no idea, i thought thanksgiving had nothing todo with jesus or any other religious/magic creature.

By the way, the progress page has been updated, so they are coding again :)
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    farmers & harvests & winter coming & indians helping out the colonists & i love my family, but the inlaws are a-holes & damn she makes that same thing every year & uh i ate too much n feel like carp & football but both dallas and detroit suck, etc. etc.

pretty much it is another excuse to eat and complain about family
    Yeah, thanksgiving was originally the harvest celebration. Of course, it had an strong religious part, but now is like jbaker8935 say.
    In Argentina we don't have a national day for it, but in many towns in the country are different celebrations for that moment.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Face it, "Stuff yourself until you burst" and "the whole family comes together and annoys the crap out of each other" are crappy names for holidays.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope this comes across as constructive critacism, but do the two words 'spoiled' and 'brat' mean anything to you Scorpy?

If you worked these guys any harder, they would probably be better off in some of the work camps in North Korea.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    LOL
    Your "thorough" investigation of what Thanksgiving is apparently didn't uncover that Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday and has nothing to do with Jesus. I'm sure Australia has some holidays that foreigners would find confusing, but don't come here and whine when you don't even know what you're talking about.
  • Gun_KnightGun_Knight Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32618Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1811829:date=Nov 29 2010, 07:51 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Nov 29 2010, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So i just learnt from wikipedia that thanksgiving <> xmas aparently

2010 date
    November 25, 2010 (USA)

why you guys need two days to celebrate 'jesus' and stuff is beyond me... but whatever.

is they are working then how come the progress tracker isnt changing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is here i bring in this episode of "How i met your mother"

<a href="http://video.mynet.com/ephialtez/How-I-Met-Your-Mother-Sezon-5-Bolum-5-Turkce-Altya/490442/" target="_blank">http://video.mynet.com/ephialtez/How-I-Met...e-Altya/490442/</a>

Thanksgiving is a day we celebrate settlement into America, or others may say such as my hippy professor, Indigenousness Slaughter week
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    The Amount of Ignornace in this thread is astounding.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    There should be an official thread for inane questions and ill-informed opinions so people don't make a new thread every time something pops into their heads. I'm not picking on you specifically, but come on.
  • SorelSorel Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68498Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1811855:date=Nov 29 2010, 08:18 PM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ Nov 29 2010, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Amount of Ignornace in this thread is astounding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFE, hilarious misunderstanding of an American holiday...Understandable, but given that he said he did research, he clearly didn't read carefully enough eh?

Edit: OP, as others have explained, Thanksgiving is a secular holiday. The background is that we're celebrating early colonization of America (although, as someone hinted, it's really in poor taste as the holiday directly relates to the slaughter of natives), and it's TOTALLY secular. There's no religious relation to it...it isn't about Jesus.

The modern-day Thanksgiving is just about spending time with your family, and eating turkey, mashed potatoes, etc...It's about good food and familial bonding. Oh, and Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) is about ridiculously awesome sales at stores.
  • Gun_KnightGun_Knight Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32618Members
    edited November 2010
    Not even christmas is entirely about Jesus anymore, in fact the current day image of santa claus himself was developed by early department stores in America/Britain and the act of gift giving became a common thing associated with him. While some like to think x-mas is about jesus, other just like the act of kindness and gift giving. There is a reason that some/many current day Christmas movies have no mention of Jesus at all. the government only supports events that are beneficial to the whole, and in the case of xmas, it is not just supported because its a religious holiday. When people buy things, it circulates money flow and makes the economy healthier all around, this is also a reason it has caught on to so many other nations as well such as Japan. He is a mythical creature we celebrate, and he stimulates growth, good feeling, and the likeliness of getting laid or a date.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1811857:date=Nov 29 2010, 08:21 PM:name=Supernorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supernorn @ Nov 29 2010, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There should be an official thread for inane questions and ill-informed opinions so people don't make a new thread every time something pops into their heads. I'm not picking on you specifically, but come on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ya really I swear we need a "serious NS2 discussion" sub-forum either well moderated, requiring a minimum post count, or both. It's not that I don't find ignorance and sarcasm entertaining, but there is just too much of it in the main forum. Plus trolls know nobody's reading the I&S forum :)
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    With the work they have been doing, I don't see the issue if they did decide to come back after x-mas.

God forbid the devs having families or interests outside of NS2 :P
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    FYI Checking the progress page has the 'be merry and eat' task as Finished
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    "whoopISH!" that's the sound of a whip cracking.

It's all about the careful balance between motivation, and staph infections in open wounds from the whip.
  • explodingheadboyexplodingheadboy Join Date: 2003-04-18 Member: 15636Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1811829:date=Nov 29 2010, 07:51 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Nov 29 2010, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why you guys need two days to celebrate 'jesus' and stuff is beyond me... but whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this an epic troll?

In case it isn't, "Thanksgiving Day" isn't set aside for "Jesus and stuff". It was originally a harvest celebration but, in 1863 Abraham Lincoln declared it a national day of thanks. He did so for religious reasons (the bible instructs Christians to set aside one day for the giving of thanks) but, those reasons weren't to celebrate Jesus and Lincoln's motivations for creating the holiday don't mean that it is a religious holiday.

I'm not even religious and I know this. GO READ A BOOK.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They see me trollin', they hatin'.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why you guys need two days to celebrate 'jesus' and stuff is beyond me... but whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, our "religious" holidays are becoming less and less religious because people are becoming more intelligent and realizing that the two invisible super powers are not real. The holidays here are becoming more about Family....and Capitalism is becoming to powerful that more and more places are actually open normal hours during these days we're supposed to take a break and spend time with family.

Customer: "I feel so bad for you *as he piles merchandise on the counter* why do they make you work on the holiday? *reaching for his wallet* "

Me: Cause of a-holes like you who can't take responsibility seriously and get everything you need THE DAY BEFORE! And because people like you are actually SHOPPING on a nationally recognized holiday. JERK!" And if you forget to get your unneeded stuff...it would be like the old days...YOU JUST DO WITHOUT! THANKS! Now get into a car wreck on the way home and don't die...just simply for the fact you might actually be grateful for what you have and realize other people who are working today were already grateful for their families and would rather be spending time with them...NOT SERVING YOU!"
  • DJ SplendidDJ Splendid Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73629Members, Constellation
    Erm. If I was a dev and read this, I'd hardcode some lag into the server for any steam account I could match to anyone posting such pointless and callous garbage. Nasty little punks, GTFO.

Regarding the tangent this has sparked, last time I checked, the US was CONSTITUTIONALLY SECULAR.

Does that make anyone roflcopter? Most Americans probably don't know it, half would be insulted if they knew, and a good third probably wants to start writing letters to their congressman having confirmed this fact while fingering their chosen book of fairytales.

As with politics, thanksgiving is not secular in practice, at all. It has been usurped by the church, as was the Winter Solstice, etc etc etc etc etc.

Our species is still utterly swamped by sub-intelligent religious primitives propogating lies and deceit of themselves and others, often for selfish profit. I see no distinction between religious teachings and practices, and the schitzophrenic motivations of the potentially lethally psychotic.

But I'll stop there before I really get going. Like mentioning that brainwashing the young with any form of theism is stark, maniacal child abuse.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1811886:date=Nov 30 2010, 04:30 AM:name=DJ Splendid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJ Splendid @ Nov 30 2010, 04:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Our species is still utterly swamped by sub-intelligent religious primitives propogating lies and deceit of themselves and others, often for selfish profit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    AMEN! brother!

"praise-a tha lord-a - and put a dolla in tha box-a!"
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811829:date=Nov 29 2010, 11:51 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Nov 29 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So i just learnt from wikipedia that thanksgiving <> xmas aparently

2010 date
    November 25, 2010 (USA)

is they are working then how come the progress tracker isnt changing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, it's something to do with the early colonisation of north america.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeesh, so much hatin' on religion in this thread.
    I'm Christian, y'all can bite me.

/ontopic

Devs have begun to dev again. They took a few days off for a national holiday, and it's over now. Even if it WAS to celebrate a "Jesus thing," or for any other reason, why not? They're giving us a game that's important to us - if they need a day or two to celebrate something that's important to them (or to just take a breather), let 'em.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    UWE is just using Jesus (praise be his him) to slack off, take your (hard earned) money, and not produce a video game!

I mean, a 30 day break!?!?!?!?!?

That's re######ulous.
    edited November 2010
    Ignorance is power, said an old tyrant.
    And why you call it holiday if it has no religious meaning? You know, holy day...
    Some really needs to investigate a little before write. Thanksgiving, a day to thanks the lord for the good harvest. Almost all known civilizations with different religions have or had a similar or equal celebration in all human history (at least on the written history).

Some of you must read all the posts before posting. Some are ranting against the thread starter but didn't read after that first post and went whining all over. Others rant against religion without the proper knowledge. And some, sadly the few ones, are just being kind to a guy that confused a date because is not american and don't have to know everything about this culture.

Ignorance is power, said an old tyrant. And the people, the ignorants, believed all what he said.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I was wondering why the twitter was quiet.

Week off is a good idea, games development is really strenuous and can seriously burn people out at crunch time. You'll get more done if you don't work people too hard, and you also run less risk of actually harming your team.

People can seriously work days on end with no sleep, or 18 hour days, or god knows what else. So I wouldn't complain about UWE taking time off.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    lol im from australia and knew barely anything about farmers and thanks giving yes we have our own holidays like "Australia day" i dont even know what its for but who gives a ###### its a day off.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    holydays, holydays everywhere
This discussion has been closed.