Marketing with Humble Bundle 2

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
edited December 2010 in NS2 E-Team
<div class="IPBDescription">Get exposure with a small discount for ns2!</div>Why not give the humble indie bundle guys an addition of something like a limited time 10 dollar discount? All humble bundle 2 purchasers, 100k people, would get an email update with news like "NS2 guys have thrown in a 10 dollar discount for their upcoming NS2". You guys would get exposure, good will, sales, and you could make it even more tempting by reminding them that the beta has a limit of 10k so people should act fast to get in on the beta. The sale would be available for a limited time, say through the holidays so the word gets out, and those who don't act fast enough to secure a beta seat would still be getting the full retail.

I think the beta is at the level where other folks who didn't know about ns can get into it, you just put out the new gameplay trailer, and with the incentive to get in the beta while getting in on the limited time deal many folks interested in ns2 would be pushed over the edge for a purchase.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Like the idea. Don't know if it would be able with HIB#2 but there is still some time left until NS2 is release, maybe with HIB#3 or another kind of bundle sale.
    Work great with the Overgrowth sale I think. At least it got me buying NS2 ;)
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    Probably best choosing the winners of Indiedb, ala what they did last year.

A bundle with minecraft would be pretty gold, particularly if NS2 wins gamers choice unreleased, since minecraft has won released.

Do a Game-of-the-Year pack.
  • RollenRollen Join Date: 2010-12-20 Member: 75800Members
    Some kind of discount needs to be done. No one is gonna buy the game for full price atm with all the performance issues. I would try selling the game for 50% off untill you hit the 10k closed player mark so that way you can bring users faster and instead of waiting for them to trickle in little by little and eventually slowing down development progress.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    thumps up for this!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as UWE would be ok with giving some of the proceeds to the Humble Bundle charities, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Say they give a $10 discount if you order NS2 using your Humble Bundle activation key/confirmation number or whatever they emailed you.

Even if they offered it at $10 off, and gave the charity itself $5-10, that would still be $20 per sale, which is basically what they got for the 2-for-1 sale that just finished. Maybe this would be something to consider in a month, when people who missed out on the holiday sale are thinking about it again. Would also give a little time, then draw more attention to Humble Bundle itself in its "off-season."
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    I disagree, people who would buy it so low price, are people who will not buy it later, and I think steam will be a good promotion for NS2 !
    You'll see, when it'll be on steam, it'll pwn lots of games :D
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1820970:date=Jan 2 2011, 01:52 PM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Jan 2 2011, 01:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree, people who would buy it so low price, are people who will not buy it later, and I think steam will be a good promotion for NS2 !
    You'll see, when it'll be on steam, it'll pwn lots of games :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't say when it's on Steam. You don't have one big sale right after another, or people get used to the low price. Steam doesn't run sales all year, but as a result, when it DOES, it gets tons of purchases. NS2 just had a sale, and the Humble Bundle just finished. All the people who were excited aren't interested right now, or they already gave their money.
    Wait a month or so, let the hype build up, the fans take a short breather, and the wallets fill again, then make an event that promotes both causes.