Purchasing pre-order - payment gateway...

TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
edited December 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">issues with</div>Hi

I tried to purchase the pre-order today, but there seems to be a problem with the PayPal payment gateway.

It's currently rejecting non-PayPal-account payments (i.e. just using a debit/credit card) with the message:

"The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I've tried two different debit cards and one credit card, from two different major UK (Nationwide) and international (HBOS group) banks.

I've checked the PayPal community support area, and this seems to be a known bug/issue with PayPal, which is reported as either having no solution, or possibly being due to problems with the merchant (i.e. unknownworlds)'s PayPal account.

Anyway: could anyone at unknownworlds direct me to a working payment processing gateway (Sagepay, perhaps?) or, failing that, let me know when NS2 will be available to pre-order through Steam and whether one would miss out on the closed beta by waiting for that?

I realise that a community forum is not the best place to ask this question but I couldn't see a customer services or support email on the company website that I could use.

I mean no offence, but it all feels a little amateur.... if you don't want to use Steam to sell the first 10k copies, it would be worth at least integrating the payment processing gateway into your corporate website and providing a sales/customer services email, rather than shunting customers over to an unfinished-looking PayPal gateway. Speaking as someone who's helped run a mail-order publishing company, I can tell you that it's not that complicated to do....

Anyway, thanks for any help - I do actually want to pre-order the game if at all possible :)

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Try e-mailing store@unknownworlds.com.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Normally this problem is due to restrictions within your credit/debit card.
    You should contact your credit card company/bank and ask them about it. Some times you need to ask them to allow online payment accesibility. Other times is because your card number was stoled (from the company or other service database) and blocked by the company for this reason, but they don't tell you until you contact them (happened to me).
    Some credit card companies/banks use to apply restrictions including amount of purchases you can do on a time span.
    Some credit cards are local, meaning that you can't use them internationally.
    There are many things that could lead to this problem.
  • TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819872:date=Dec 28 2010, 04:26 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 28 2010, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Normally this problem is due to restrictions within your credit/debit card.
    You should contact your credit card company/bank and ask them about it. Some times you need to ask them to allow online payment accesibility. Other times is because your card number was stoled (from the company or other service database) and blocked by the company for this reason, but they don't tell you until you contact them (happened to me).
    Some credit card companies/banks use to apply restrictions including amount of purchases you can do on a time span.
    Some credit cards are local, meaning that you can't use them internationally.
    There are many things that could lead to this problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said in the post, I have tried three different cards from two different banks. And all of them are confirmed to be working correctly for other online payments (e.g. Amazon, Steam).

Person above: thanks for the email link, I'll give it a try. Where did you find it? I swear I couldn't see that on the unkownworld website!
    The e-mail is on the help page. Look up, more up... there, Help.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    Hey,
    I am from Germany and I purchased it perfectly fine with my EC card via paypal today.
    the distribution via paypal (the website) works. don't blame UWE.
    I got my two working keys instantly, too.

Only thing that bothers me is that the DL is soo slow xD
    It's not using Steam servers yet, is it?
    'cause usually Steam DLs are fullspeed for me.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    They send their builds to Valve, and get it cleared through them, so I assume it does use steam servers. Have you checked your steam download region lately?
  • TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820033:date=Dec 29 2010, 04:43 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Dec 29 2010, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->don't blame UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not "blaming" anyone ;) Just trying to ask the retailer for some help in purchasing their product, having encountered difficulties.
    edited December 2010
    If you have an account in paypal, wich you use to pay, and you added the credit card to it, then you need to activate it like is described in paypal site.