Flamethrower - have a max turn rate

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
edited January 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">when shooting</div>this will mean that when you are firing the flame thrower you can only adjust your aim slowly - it will stop people from waving it about like crazy

as soon as you let go of mouse1 and stop shooting then you can look around as quickly as normal.

This will have players walking around and aim and then shooting, instead spaming flames - it still means its great against buildings, and you can still aim down a hallway and march forward.

but if your trying to shoot a fast moving alien, you need to shoot, aim, shoot, aim in bursts too keep up with their movement rate

forgot how to imbed youtube videos : <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-3BNnbV_o&feature=related#t=2m" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-3BNnbV_o...re=related#t=2m</a>

Comments

• zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    im not opposed BUT it might not be necessary with the damage nerf... spinning wildly might not even be effective anymore
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would rather suggest a slow down in movement - like with Gatlings while shooting in some games => it'd even make sense... because not moving carefully could hurt yourself and/or mates around you irl. But i guess since this mechanic will apply to the Exo miniguns they would decide against it...?
    <!--quoteo(post=1825383:date=Jan 19 2011, 11:04 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 19 2011, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather suggest a slow down in movement<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how would that " stop people from waving it about like crazy" which was the issue the OP attempted to address?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1825385:date=Jan 19 2011, 11:24 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 19 2011, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how would that " stop people from waving it about like crazy" which was the issue the OP attempted to address?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesnt, i ignored it - so i kinda didn't contribute that much stuff to his issue -> just like you.

And now?

Next time i ll make a new thread, so we have in total around 4 or 5 threads about the flamethrower issues and suggestions in the ns2 forums. (Happy?)
    my post was on topic -> unlike you.

And now? (let me guess, more off topic posts)
    edited January 2011
    You are dodging, i didnt say it was offtopic - i said it didnt contribute any USEFULL stuff to his issue...

Is it really usefull for him that you say my post was offtopic/useless or could he have his own opinion? The essence of this topic is to balance the flamethrower so it might not be the exact issue the op wanted to talk about but it goes into the direction. So some ppl might even say it is in fact a usefull addition to this topic even if it doesnt aim at the OPs exact issue, because topics can and should be able to evolve. There is no rule to stay 100% on the topic word by word, and if - it wouldnt be your job to remember me since you are not the OP (the "leader" of the discussion) or a moderator of the forum.

Its the tones that play the music, if you start to point at ppl only seeing negative aspects, they might counter negative too.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We're planning a lot of changes to the flame thrower. We've looked at pretty much every game that has a flamethrower and have discussed some new tech to support what we want to do. Hopefully we'll be able to start implementing that soon.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1825383:date=Jan 19 2011, 02:04 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 19 2011, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather suggest a slow down in movement - like with Gatlings while shooting in some games => it'd even make sense... because not moving carefully could hurt yourself and/or mates around you irl. But i guess since this mechanic will apply to the Exo miniguns they would decide against it...?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I interpreted this as a slow down in both aiming and walking, which would solve the problem. However, I dislike gimping player movement as a way to balance, so I would suggest damage reduction as a better method.
    <!--quoteo(post=1825462:date=Jan 19 2011, 08:52 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 19 2011, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're planning a lot of changes to the flame thrower. We've looked at pretty much every game that has a flamethrower and have discussed some new tech to support what we want to do. Hopefully we'll be able to start implementing that soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huiii new tech - me likes.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825462:date=Jan 19 2011, 11:52 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 19 2011, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're planning a lot of changes to the flame thrower. We've looked at pretty much every game that has a flamethrower and have discussed some new tech to support what we want to do. Hopefully we'll be able to start implementing that soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can almost guarantee you guys that there would be more populated servers if the flamethrower was more balanced or even taken out of the game. I know last build was more unstable than this build, and most servers were full. :|