Map annotations will be in the next build !

yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
edited January 2011 in Mapping
<div class="IPBDescription">So, will there be any "Properties" section and password?</div>If i understand correctly I think ther will be an "annotations" section in the next build of Spark Editor . UWE says "This lets the community "annotate" areas of the map, wiki-style, for feedback."

That may be a good thing for mappers but will there be a <u>enscripted</u> "Properties" section in Spark Editor where only author can change/edit map and map information etc ? I think this is the most important thing.

map name: ... (real map name)
map author: ... (me, we, you and they are)
map version: ... (so server not conflict with other versions of map, automaticaly uploads/downloads new versions)
editing password: ... (this password is used to edit or change maps, so only authors can make changes)
playing password: ... (this is for testers, players if needed, i dont think if this is needed but i just put as an alternative password)

and some other info may be added automaticaly by Spark Editor:
editor version: ... (Build 161+ etc.)
original map size:
num of tech points:
num of res nodes:
num of polygons:
num of vertices:
num of lights:
num of objects:

bla bla bla....

I think this is very easy to add this information to Spark Editor. Enscripting and importing this info to a map file may be bit difficult. But thereby NS2 engine may define maps, automatically uploads new version to player etc. etc.

Comments

• hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    sounds reasonable enough to me.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    From what i gather is was pretty straight forward in this post--><a href="http://"%20<a%20href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1825509""%20target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p=1825509"</a>" target="_blank">Here.</a>

Seems according to that all annotations will be reset every time a patch is applied. Now if that information could be displayed via a web-site page it would indeed be the cats meow.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Yeah right,
    Editor version is important so maps should be updated after new patches.

"editor version: ... (Build 161+ etc.)" is also added.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1825645:date=Jan 20 2011, 07:32 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jan 20 2011, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From what i gather is was pretty straight forward in this post--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=105038&view=findpost&p=1825509&quot" target="_blank">Here.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Link fixed, you had html tags in there as well
    Thanks Kouji, Dunno what happened there :!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm quite curious if this will push the data back to UWE, or if the server admins will have some control over it. The reason I say this is the annotation mechanism would be just as beneficiary to folks making custom/unofficial maps as it is to the Official Mappers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1826092:date=Jan 21 2011, 05:48 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Jan 21 2011, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm quite curious if this will push the data back to UWE, or if the server admins will have some control over it. The reason I say this is the annotation mechanism would be just as beneficiary to folks making custom/unofficial maps as it is to the Official Mappers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just realized that after reading your post. My first impression was it would work for all maps and they would somehow tie into that remote database kind of like dedimania does for the trackmania series by giving the server a remote login for transfer/updating database for each tracks statistic, even custom ones. Now after reading and re-reading the posts pertaining to this topic i am a bit confused if it will work for custom maps. :[
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I had a quick thought.

Perhaps when posting an annotation (later down the track) you can mark it as 'Public' or 'Friends Only', where only friends on your Steam contacts (or perhaps Steam Groups?) can see them (ie, a clan your in or something).

Probably worth waiting to see how all of this gets used, but its a very neat idea to at least provide some feedback to mappers and help new players out.