free and/or instant upgrades?!?!

weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">might do alot for balance</div>i'm guessing these things are artifacts from a testing period...
but they need to be changed!
- workers don't have a buildtime nor cooldown, which makes them spammable, looks very stupid IMO.

Marines:
- GL takes only like 10s to upgrade

Aliens:
- hive L2 costs no res
- upgrading chambers to mature is instant
- attack and armor upgrades are instant AND free
- running leap upg seems to be instant also
- furthermore, the things that take time don't have progress indicators

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Curiously, if you turn on cheats 1, MACs and Drifters take a second or two to make, but in regular gameplay they spawn instantly.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826226:date=Jan 22 2011, 08:17 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 22 2011, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm guessing these things are artifacts from a testing period...
    but they need to be changed!
    - workers don't have a buildtime nor cooldown, which makes them spammable, looks very stupid IMO.

Marines:
    - GL takes only like 10s to upgrade

Aliens:
    - hive L2 costs no res
    - upgrading chambers to mature is instant
    - attack and armor upgrades are instant AND free
    - running leap upg seems to be instant also
    - furthermore, the things that take time don't have progress indicators<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't play marine too much simply because there are typically more marines than aliens...so, with that said.

1) Hive Mass costs nothing. But, it takes about 5 minutes to upgrade. In this time, you are unable to create any Drifters.
    2) Yep, they are instant upgrades. However, sometimes they don't upgrade.
    3) Yep. I always thought that was weird when marines weren't. However, I think it's also because at this point, marines should be getting shotguns which completely decimates skulks. Unless, of course, you have a new commander who goes for upgrades instantly rather than two hives to stop a second CC for marines.
    4) Running Leap takes approximately 5 seconds to upgrade. It is NOT instant.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think UWE has touched on balancing the alien side of the upgrades/research quite yet, so I expect they will eventually increase the upgrade time and cost of those items.

As for MACs/Drifters, I like that they spawn instantly. I don't think it will be much of a problem if UWE keeps it that way.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826226:date=Jan 22 2011, 11:17 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Jan 22 2011, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines:
    - GL takes only like 10s to upgrade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If your trying to say that 10s is too fast then you are forgetting:

1. it costs lots of res to research (which SHOULD be used for getting the weapon module + FT)
    2. you need a second CC
    3. you need to upgrade a CC to L2
    4. you need to upgrade an armory to advanced
    5. it costs as much plasma as a flamethrower (it should cost less then a shotgun)
    6. only a noob commander researches this before FT
    7. this is strictly an end-game weapon to be used post-flamethrower in order to deal damage to the hive for times when you don't want to stand next to it with a shotgun
    8. it sucks against aliens in 1 vs 1 combat which makes it purely anti-structure
    9. you can't even kill a rt if you hit it with every grenade
    10. good chance of loosing health + armor with every squeeze of the trigger
    11. <b>the shotgun is better then the gl</b>
    12. limited ammo, slow reload, and questionable accuracy (what is with that crazy arched trajectory and delayed explosion... it should have a flat trajectory since we're only shooting it 50 ft at the most and a faster explosion due to the fast paced nature of the game).

The point being that the gl is so useless, and so lethal to the user, that it should be free from the start of the game (like that extra magazine you get from the armory post-spawn). In terms of game balance, i would say that giving the gl a really long research time would further reduce the odds that your commander is going to research the gl before the ft, because it simply doesn't compare.
  • ShushShush Join Date: 2004-03-10 Member: 27257Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826300:date=Jan 22 2011, 04:41 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 22 2011, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The point being that the gl is so useless, and so lethal to the user, that it should be free from the start of the game (like that extra magazine you get from the armory post-spawn). In terms of game balance, i would say that giving the gl a really long research time would further reduce the odds that your commander is going to research the gl before the ft, because it simply doesn't compare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A GL isn't supposed to excel in close combat, thats just stupid. Theyre supposed to be good support weapons, and good for breaking fortifications, which they are.
    <!--quoteo(post=1826301:date=Jan 22 2011, 05:06 PM:name=Shush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shush @ Jan 22 2011, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>A GL isn't supposed to excel in close combat, thats just stupid</u>. Theyre supposed to be good support weapons, and good for breaking fortifications, which they are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game is predominately close combat and the FT excels at killing fortifications + aliens and has more ammo then the gl. Lets do a test and find out how much damage 1 gl-user can do vs 1 ft-user, and no ammo spam >:D
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    GL doesn't have enough ammo for its stated purpose, which is a support role. What support weapon only has 6 shots?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Commander + Ammo Packs = Infinity ammo
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826317:date=Jan 22 2011, 06:33 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Jan 22 2011, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commander + Ammo Packs = Infinity ammo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The irony is a marine with a gl has a better chance of dieing before he fires all 6 shots simply because he has a gl and not a ft or sg.

Anyway the planned siege tank will 100% remove the need to research gls. It is for this reason that the grenade launcher should be an anti-personal weapon (which is what a new ns2 player would expect) which does heavy damage to aliens and <u>limited</u> splash damage + heavy impact damage to structures. In this way it allows the rifle to be capable of dealing more damage against mid-to-late-game lifeforms like fades and oni (which currently have no trouble at all killing rifle/gl marines).
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1826300:date=Jan 22 2011, 10:41 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 22 2011, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your trying to say that 10s is too fast then you are forgetting:

1. it costs lots of res to research (which SHOULD be used for getting the weapon module + FT)
    2. you need a second CC
    3. you need to upgrade a CC to L2
    4. you need to upgrade an armory to advanced
    5. it costs as much plasma as a flamethrower (it should cost less then a shotgun)
    6. only a noob commander researches this before FT
    7. this is strictly an end-game weapon to be used post-flamethrower in order to deal damage to the hive for times when you don't want to stand next to it with a shotgun
    8. it sucks against aliens in 1 vs 1 combat which makes it purely anti-structure
    9. you can't even kill a rt if you hit it with every grenade
    10. good chance of loosing health + armor with every squeeze of the trigger
    11. <b>the shotgun is better then the gl</b>
    12. limited ammo, slow reload, and questionable accuracy (what is with that crazy arched trajectory and delayed explosion... it should have a flat trajectory since we're only shooting it 50 ft at the most and a faster explosion due to the fast paced nature of the game).

The point being that the gl is so useless, and so lethal to the user, that it should be free from the start of the game (like that extra magazine you get from the armory post-spawn). In terms of game balance, i would say that giving the gl a really long research time would further reduce the odds that your commander is going to research the gl before the ft, because it simply doesn't compare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

are you kidding me focusedwolf? by your reasoning JP and HA research in ns1 should take 5s then?
    how about CC L3 requires you to get and hold 2 CC, and TO THAT get a third one, and all the res/time that goes in there, let's just make it a free and instant upg at L1, because all that could be spent getting FT!

FT is (like someone described it) a "win-the-game-upgrade", it's kinda like building a wonder in AoE2, and you don't even have to play the rest of the game, that's how imba it is.
    so ofc it's your only priority.
    and GL, is far from useless. it's not a direct dmg dealer like the FT, so maybe you're not thinking further than that criterium.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1826317:date=Jan 23 2011, 12:33 AM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Jan 23 2011, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commander + Ammo Packs = Infinity ammo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Currently ammo packs don't resupply nades, only way to get more is from the armory.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    macs in general are spam-able, I've had games where marine commander had 10 macs in one, they built pretty much everything instantly, and repaired everything instantly. They seriously must be limited, and reduced further more on how fast they can repair and build. they must be limited to 2 macs only.
    <!--quoteo(post=1826331:date=Jan 23 2011, 02:17 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jan 23 2011, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->macs in general are spam-able, I've had games where marine commander had 10 macs in one, they built pretty much everything instantly, and repaired everything instantly. They seriously must be limited, and reduced further more on how fast they can repair and build. they must be limited to 2 macs only.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    they just need collision
    (and be required to face whatever they're doing and maybe a shorter range on build/repair)
    collision indeed, i've sometimes seen some go through walls as well. but macs must be limited to certain number. Having unlimited macs usage is just insane, macs are doing everything for the marines - they must limit them so marines would actually require to do what they suppose to, not just stand there waiting for macs to do it.
    One for each level of command center you have? So 3 MACs when you have a command facility (worth 2) and a CC (expansion, worth 1).
    <!--quoteo(post=1826407:date=Jan 23 2011, 12:19 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 23 2011, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One for each level of command center you have? So 3 MACs when you have a command facility (worth 2) and a CC (expansion, worth 1).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its good idea, it gives more reason to hold second command center. but once they lose command centers, they go back with what they started with - gives more reason to hold command centers. In total though 3 should be the limit.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Nothing should be free or instant - must be a mistyped variable name somewhere. Checking.
  • broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826727:date=Jan 24 2011, 06:30 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 24 2011, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing should be free or instant - must be a mistyped variable name somewhere. Checking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+500
    love this dev-team and this game!
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah alien upgrades are instant (armor/attack levels) I am pretty sure.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Every crag or whip upgrade is instant and free. (Exept "mature")
    Hive tier 2 is free.

Sidenote:
    Also, If running leap is researched you have to reclick it as skulk every time you respawn. (But its instant => no extra gestating)
    (I think other upgrades that work with "dev 1" dont have to be clicked after you respawn (But are instant too => no gestating)
    I would have to retest this, because im not 100% sure (wasnt paying to much attention to this)

Marines:
    IF Dmg upgrades are researched you have to respawn to get it (maybe taking a new weapon out of the armory works too) Armor upgrades work (you just have to heal ofc)

Aliens:
    Dmg upgrades => respawn (maybe a fresh gestating works too), Haven't looked what defense does and if its applied without re-spawning (or new gestating?)
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1826763:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:48 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 25 2011, 01:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sidenote:
    Also, If running leap is researched you have to reclick it as skulk every time you respawn. (But its instant => no extra gestating)
    (I think other upgrades that work with "dev 1" dont have to be clicked after you respawn (But are instant too => no gestating)
    I would have to retest this, because im not 100% sure (wasnt paying to much attention to this)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I watched it yesterday.
    If you are playing skulk with the running leap --err-- "enabled", you will keep it if you die and respawn.
    But if you evolve to an other form and die.. you will respawn as a skulk without running leap.

Edit:
    I am not sure if alien attack and armorupgrades do anything ...
    My armor has the same amout with or without the armorupgrade for instance. (Skulk 10, Lerk 30, etc.)

However as a marine you clearly see your armor increase.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2011
    This should all be fixed in the next build (except alien leap which requires some more work). Thanks.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Nice!

Will you also add a recycle/destroy function for aliens? Sometimes pll build stuff too close or on res nodes => so you cant build one anymore.

Also block building of hydras too close to a resnode. (or let commanders destroy them too)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1826331:date=Jan 22 2011, 05:17 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jan 22 2011, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->macs in general are spam-able, I've had games where marine commander had 10 macs in one, they built pretty much everything instantly, and repaired everything instantly. They seriously must be limited, and reduced further more on how fast they can repair and build. they must be limited to 2 macs only.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Attack the MACs first? They aren't that hard to kill.

There shouldn't be unlimited MACs or Drifters (because I've seen 30+ drifters bring a server to a laggy stop), but 2 is way too little. I'd say a 10 MAC limit would be about perfect.
    drifters get consumed when they are used, big difference.

the whole point I was trying to say, macs are doing everything for the marines - they repair/build something marines must be doing themselves. And if you have over 10 macs, they almost instantly build/repair everything in sight. So what do marines do? stand and wait? marines must do what they did in ns1, not depend on the bot doing it for them. They have to be limited to 3, or change how they work.

we need to bring back welders, so marines indeed work at doing something rather than wait for the mac to finish. marines stand guard while he welds, not having everyone stand guard waiting for the mac to finish. as marine your job is to build/cover and should be repair but right now your job as marine so stand guard of the bot till he's done.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    imo drifters should be regenerated from the building after a building is finished. aliens have self-repair and gorge repair so the drifter doesn't need those functions; gorges can also speed up build time, so the drifter doesn't need that function either.
    MACs are still built instantly.
    ...and alien player upgrades are still instant (though they cost properly now)
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    Drifters are also instant.