about the red emergency lights

DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Does anyone else feel that the emergency lights come on too quickly, or are too bright?

I'd love to see the pitch-black last a few seconds longer, to allow that "oh ######" moment to sink in. For me, it takes a second before I really start worrying how many aliens are in the room now, and to feel that thrill of being in the dark. Then, right before I can enjoy the tension, boom, I can see again. It's kind of a buzzkill, to be honest. :( I want to have that moment of only having my flashlight, straining my ears, listening for the slightest sounds of footsteps, blinks, wing flaps.... chuckles, etc.

If we can't have the pitch black last longer, I'd like to see the lights pulse. I don't want to make them just "darker," since it really can be hard to see a still alien in the current red light. However, I can easily see a moving alien. If the current level was the brightest point in a pulse, it could be amazing. It would also allow for more daring moves to be made by skulks, making their move in the brief moments of darkness.

Comments

• sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    said already once that i think they are to bright, and destroy alot of the "danger" atmosphere a alien occupied area should have. right now the red light is almost as bright as having an area powered, there isnt realy a bonus for the aliens because marines can just see as good in the dark even without flashlight
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm of the same general opinion... Pitch black darkness is rarely seen in games. I savour the few seconds of darkness the death of a powernode brings. It's so unique, and so much fun. A longer pitch black time, and an emergency light cadence that occasionally dips to black, would be terror-inducing!
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I like the darkness too - but its not practical to have all of the time.

I like the idea the emergency red lights flicker off every now and then though.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    They actually brightened the red lighting because it was too dark before. While darkness does add mood, it just doesn't work very well in multiplayer fps games.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I don't know what the basis of that statement is, since it hasn't really been attempted in multiplayer fps games. If you were to switch the statement around, I would believe you. i.e. tried-and-true multiplayer fps games don't have darkness in them.

Having said that, tried-and-true multiplayer fps games don't have RTS-style commanders and completely asymmetric teams...

I like the darkness, and the emergency lights just aren't good.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    I feel that the blackout duration is a little too short. On the other hand, once the aliens get night vision, the marines might be too disadvantaged. I propose a compromise:

- Slightly reduce the brightness of the lights, when the power node is badly damaged (the light is currently too bright during the "cycling" period)
    - Lengthen the blackout period to approximately 5 seconds (1-2 sec longer).
    - Limit the area fully lit by red backup lighting to about 75% of the room (mainly in the centre), so aliens have more shadows to hide in.

Since aliens have glowing eyes and body parts, and marines have their bright flashlights, spotting aliens (that are directly in front) shouldn't be too difficult. But marines' peripheral awareness (where the flashlight doesn't shine) will be reduced.

These changes will encourage the marines to move more cautiously in un-powered rooms, and provide aliens with a larger tactical advantage.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Give the flash light a smaller cone of fire, brighter with HDR + Darker power outs = Scary!

At the moment I find the flashlight quite useless, because it does not create effective shadows - and white to dark values (contrast) help you identify what you are seeing.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I agree with most in this thread. The darkness is awesome, but having it cosntantly pitch black is not a good idea.

But it is way to short right now, and I think it should be a few seconds longer.
    And the emergency lighting is to bright, I think it should be slightly darker, and during the darkest periods it should go almost black.
    The flicker idea is also cool xD.

The only problem I see with this is that the commanders (both teams) will have trouble seeing in dark areas, perhaps it could be 'fixed' by making emergency lighting brighter on their clients.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    the lights have to turn off complete in my mind, which gives alien a boost while commander have to repair the nodes, now its just "oh okay its a little bit darker then before".
    I never care if lights red or white okay you have to use your light sometimes but you can still see the aliens very well.
    Maybe its not that dark because aliens have no night-vision, i hope they will get some.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    One of the coolest moment in NS2 is when a power node goes offline and skulks start attacking you. Problem there right now is: there is no need to even switch the flashlight on for a second. The current "darkness" (in which aliens should have the advantage) is easily bridged my pressing the jump button one or two times. And in red lights I have no problem spotting aliens (at least not more as when lights are on ;))
    This kinda takes away a lot of the atmosphere (and party the gameplay I would say) this situation was ment(?) to achieve.
    Right now it's just a "Light is out but will be back in a second" moment and not a "F*ck its dark. Where am I and what is chewing on my leg?" moment ;) I general I do not even try to stop aliens chewing on a power node when others (or just one) are running around because those are more of a danger then the single one I will have to fight in "darkness" afterwards. When red light are on I really have no problem spotting aliens. Maybe that's because of missing DI? Don't know. The current system has either too short "complete darkness" moments or with red lights it's not much of a difference regarding spotting aliens (in close combat at least)

/imho
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You hand out more darkness, people yank up brightness. even beyond normally intended or even possible levels.
    That's what happened to the darkness in NS1. Dark tunnels and corners have been removed because people yanked it that high they could read books in total darkness ingame.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1826659:date=Jan 24 2011, 04:41 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jan 24 2011, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You hand out more darkness, people yank up brightness. even beyond normally intended or even possible levels.
    That's what happened to the darkness in NS1. Dark tunnels and corners have been removed because people yanked it that high they could read books in total darkness ingame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, that's why veil/hera/altair were more popular than say shiva, or eon. people still hiked up their gamma on the brightest maps to get the most out of it competitively. I'd say you could combat that with having brighter marine starts, that way it'd be impossible for people to have their brightness too high without having to switch back and forth as they go through lighting extremes.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826666:date=Jan 24 2011, 04:42 PM:name=hookeyed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hookeyed @ Jan 24 2011, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, that's why veil/hera/altair were more popular than say shiva, or eon. people still hiked up their gamma on the brightest maps to get the most out of it competitively. I'd say you could combat that with having brighter marine starts, that way it'd be impossible for people to have their brightness too high without having to switch back and forth as they go through lighting extremes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good idea. since all the lighting is dynamic it should help combat gamma adjusters anyway, but it would make sense to make certain areas brighter then others.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1826580:date=Jan 24 2011, 02:26 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 24 2011, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know what the basis of that statement is, since it hasn't really been attempted in multiplayer fps games. If you were to switch the statement around, I would believe you. i.e. tried-and-true multiplayer fps games don't have darkness in them.

Having said that, tried-and-true multiplayer fps games don't have RTS-style commanders and completely asymmetric teams...

I like the darkness, and the emergency lights just aren't good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its because most people don't like being killed by something they can't see. Additionally, most everyone orients themselves based on room landmarks (such as doors, power nodes, tech/res nodes, etc.) Making a room darker removes those basic visual indicators leading to a very disorienting effect. NS2 would only amplify the disorientation due to its fast multiplayer gameplay (think trying to find, let alone shoot, a skulk, lerk, or fade bouncing around a dark room).

I don't have anything against darkness as a mood setting as long as it doesn't seriously hinder gameplay. However, I don't see how you can go any darker with the emergency lights and not have it disorient most players.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    I agree with the most of the people here.
    I like the moment, if the powernode goes down and everything is pitchblack.
    It would be great if the darkness stays for 30 seconds or so.
    (Maybe thats the time the emergency generator needs to power up)
    It just adds to the creepy atmosphere for a marine beeing surrounded by darkness and knowing that skulks are around.

or

What do you guys think about this idea:

We keep the current pitchblack time (I guess it's about 5 seconds) and...
    everytime an alien attacks a broken powernode it goes dark again for the time.
    That would add a nice attack strategy for the aliens and also forces the marines to use their flashlights.

If the aliens go on attacking that broken powernode it stays dark until they stop.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited January 2011
    emergency lights should flicker better, each time they flicker the room would get red to darker more. While pipes could burst steam randomly, creating more noises within these rooms - making it hard to hear whats really going on.

some problems:

aliens do not have alien flash light currently, this is huge problem for aliens. I myself made thread about this serious issue, and was told developers are working on something for aliens flashlight which brightens their vision in darkness.

once aliens have their form of flashlight, this would only hurt aliens more while darkness suppose to be their advantage.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1826710:date=Jan 25 2011, 09:42 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jan 25 2011, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->some problems:

aliens do not have alien flash light currently, this is huge problem for aliens. I myself made thread about this serious issue, and was told developers are working on something for aliens flashlight which brightens their vision in darkness.

once (?until) aliens have their form of flashlight, this would only hurt aliens more while darkness suppose to be their advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Something's coming! Quick! Switch off your lantern and hide in the closet!
    I think it's gone now.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited January 2011
    I would like to see 100% dark areas, or rather the darkness as a force multiplier in favor of the aliens, and also a bit of this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109032" target="_blank">Equipment</a>. This will certainly create for a more realistic scifi shooter (and maybe a fps boost because 100% dark maps don't need as much complex geometry xD).

The red lights should be removed entirely and the aliens should have super night vision capabilities.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1826728:date=Jan 25 2011, 12:31 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 25 2011, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see 100% dark areas, or rather the darkness as a force multiplier in favor of the aliens, and also a bit of this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109032" target="_blank">Equipment</a>. This will certainly create for a more realistic scifi shooter (and maybe a fps boost because 100% dark maps don't need as much complex geometry xD).

The red lights should be removed entirely and the aliens should have super night vision capabilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sounds awesome (with the "Droppable Work Lights" too)
    but i whonder if that should be a part of the main game for the main audience
    As a mod, called "Natural Selection 2: extreme" that would be teriffic...
    with some other extra creepy situation like.. random steam bursts out of some pipes.. flickering flashlights of the marines.. loouder deathscreams of the marines.. and so on,
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826728:date=Jan 24 2011, 11:31 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 24 2011, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see 100% dark areas, or rather the darkness as a force multiplier in favor of the aliens, and also a bit of this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109032" target="_blank">Equipment</a>. This will certainly create for a more realistic scifi shooter (and maybe a fps boost because 100% dark maps don't need as much complex geometry xD).

The red lights should be removed entirely and the aliens should have super night vision capabilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because that was so popular when doom 3 did it.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have anything against darkness as a mood setting as long as it doesn't seriously hinder gameplay. However, I don't see how you can go any darker with the emergency lights and not have it disorient most players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is suppose to disorientate the marines and give aliens an advantage. Right now it doesn't because of the lack of an alien "flashlight" like in NS1 which is needed, but once in it will work well. It also doesn't hinder game play. It enhances it by adding a much more dynamic environment. Marines will also have minimaps allow them to know the layout of the room and where the exists are along with flash lights and hopefully other lighting equipment like flares and so on.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because that was so popular when doom 3 did it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice informal fallacy. That is a completely false analogy. NS2 does not equal Doom 3 one bit.

Blackouts need to last a little longer to build up the intensity of that moment and make power nodes more valuable to keep repaired and defended. Also emergency lights need a little dimming and more "distressed" effects like flickering and more prevalent fading once aliens have their "flashlight." This would give areas a much more thematic feel for both teams and make it feel like you're fighting for control of each and every room.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826770:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:19 AM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Jan 25 2011, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice informal fallacy. That is a completely false analogy. NS2 does not equal Doom 3 one bit.

Blackouts need to last a little longer to build up the intensity of that moment and make power nodes more valuable to keep repaired and defended. Also emergency lights need a little dimming and more "distressed" effects like flickering and more prevalent fading once aliens have their "flashlight." This would give areas a much more thematic feel for both teams and make it feel like you're fighting for control of each and every room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He is suggesting having areas with zero light in them. Doom 3 did that quite a lot, and it's the main complaint I hear against the game. From this we can surmise that being in total darkness for protracted periods of time is annoying to many people.

Total darkness isn't good, it gets annoying quite quickly. It's OK in very short doses but anything more than that gets very annoying. It also looks crap, and plays terribly most of the time. The only thing it's good for is atmosphere, but atmosphere at the expensive of gameplay is a very silly tradeoff.

As another example, consider the latest STALKER game, the nights are pitch black, personally this means I simply sleep through the nights and don't bother with them. The only reason to go out at night is when you have 3rd gen night vision and need to sneak up on people, but by and large the darkness is something to avoid, and fortunately it's quite easy to do that.

In NS however, if you include pitch darkness in alien controlled areas, it's something marines can't avoid, and they're going to run into it a lot, it's going to ruin the otherwise excellent visuals, and it's going to get really, REALLY annoying.
    My apologies if you miss understood me. I'm not arguing for areas for continually complete darkness as one person was and as Doom 3 has. I just feel that when power does go out, the darkness should last longer to heighten the affect and give aliens more of an advantage for a little longer. I do agree that no area of the game should continually be pitch black at all times. I do like the backup lighting. But I also think it needs to be toned down a little and given a little more "distress" affect through possible flickering or more pronounced dimming in order to encourage marine team play and proper flash light and hopefully light equipment use.

Maybe when DI is introduced, it can cause the backup lighting to be even less pronounced. That way you have a good dynamic bonus affect between taking out power nodes and spreading DI continually in favor of aliens.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, permanent total darkness would be silly. I'm mostly talking about that initial moment before the emergency power clicks in.

There are still powered areas between each "room," anyway. Most hallways are lit even if nearby rooms have busted power nodes. It would be silly to have rooms of pitch black, brightly lit hallway, another pitchblack room, etc. Would feel very artificial.
  • KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826570:date=Jan 24 2011, 01:24 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 24 2011, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They actually brightened the red lighting because it was too dark before. While darkness does add mood, it just doesn't work very well in multiplayer fps games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhh? It works very well in multiplayer fps games. What is the point of the flashlight if you can see pretty much 100% when the emergency lights are out? Darken the red lights or make it so it's pitch black UNTIL the commander puts the emergency lights on.
    <!--quoteo(post=1827059:date=Jan 25 2011, 08:27 PM:name=Kuriin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuriin @ Jan 25 2011, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...) or make it so it's pitch black UNTIL the commander puts the emergency lights on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now THAT sounds interesting!
    Let the commander flick the emergency light switch. It would be a little longer dark and the
    marines have one more reason to whine at the commander ;-)

or maybe the marines have to do it. They have walk up to the powernode and "use" it to activate the emergency lights, so there is a challenge for the aliens to stop the marines from getting there.
    After the emergency light is on it should stay on, so that the darkness doesn't get annoying.
    <!--quoteo(post=1827059:date=Jan 25 2011, 11:27 AM:name=Kuriin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuriin @ Jan 25 2011, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uhh? It works very well in multiplayer fps games. What is the point of the flashlight if you can see pretty much 100% when the emergency lights are out? Darken the red lights or make it so it's pitch black UNTIL the commander puts the emergency lights on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Examples? As Chris0132 mentioned, it worked poorly in Doom 3. I'd say that the correct answer is that the flashlights are actually useless, but put in-game for the sake of nostalgia.
    I personally find them helpful even right now in spotting lerks hiding in dark corners. The problem is we can't even measure the true affect the dynamic lights have on game play sense aliens don't even have a proper "flashlight."
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    i allways imagined the aliens should play like rid###### in his sneak levels (even before i bought it for 5€). you see stuff and enemies, but they cant see you...

edit: seriously? you even censor the most badass serial killer in the universe played by vin diesel? you're in for a ride, buddies...
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <b>Ridic</b>ulous, isn't it?