Marketing Idea?

HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
So I was thinking about ways Unknown Worlds could put NS2 out there more than they already are and I came up with this!

Advertise on Steam and have someone model a Marine helmet or somthing.... for Team Fortress 2 item system.

I relized alot of people have been buying games that offer "items" for TF2 and just for the item. Now thats good for your pockets but I think it would get more people interested and even play NS2, My 2 cents.

Comments

• AaronElAaronEl Join Date: 2009-11-01 Member: 69214Members
    This would be a good way for UWE to get TF2 players interested, but they should wait until a month before release. As someone with 1000+ hours in TF2, I'll tell you guys that they eat that cosmetic hat ###### up. Hell, Valve will even make the hats for you guys, especially since they love helping "indie" companies, just ask them ;)
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
    So lets post some item idea's.

Hats:

Marine Helmet
    Ballcap with TSA letters or logo
    One of the aliens head's

Items:

Axe
    A Fade claw for melee weapon

Not sure how much further this list can go but its a start :)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Here's my idea:

Fix alien class movements and the Onos playable ASAP. The Onos has been a big draw card in earlier NS videoes.

Hats? They would be nice. But cosmetic customizations can wait til after all the gameplay features are completed.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally I'd vote no to hats during gameplay, but if they only showed up in the Ready Room? That'd be gold XD

Top hat for Gorge plx
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    as much as i hate the idea of watering down this game with hats like TF2 did... it's actually a really good marketing idea. the TF2 community is nuts about collecting hats... im sure it would pull in some more sales.

but to be clear... no hats for ns2 plox
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Hoax isn't suggesting that these are added to NS2 but to TF2 instead.

I like that idea but should be done nearer the time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1828839:date=Jan 31 2011, 02:58 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Jan 31 2011, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hoax isn't suggesting that these are added to NS2 but to TF2 instead.

I like that idea but should be done nearer the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Glad someone was reading :D
    Even though I did not mention it in my first post, I also meant closer to official release of NS2, Like 1-2 months or somthing.
  • SchroSchro Join Date: 2011-01-31 Member: 79755Members
    A good game is selling itself.
    Hats and stuff is just the afterburner when the sales slow down.
    <!--quoteo(post=1829020:date=Feb 1 2011, 10:49 AM:name=Schro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 1 2011, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A good game is selling itself.
    Hats and stuff is just the afterburner when the sales slow down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once again I don't think my original post was understood :/

We are talking about gifting hats and/or items to people who buy NS2 before a certain date and that own TF2 (of course), to promote sales and show off NS2 to people who havnt seen it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828526:date=Jan 29 2011, 11:55 PM:name=HoAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoAx @ Jan 29 2011, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I was thinking about ways Unknown Worlds could put NS2 out there more than they already are and I came up with this!

Advertise on Steam and have someone model a Marine helmet or somthing.... for Team Fortress 2 item system.

I relized alot of people have been buying games that offer "items" for TF2 and just for the item. Now thats good for your pockets but I think it would get more people interested and even play NS2, My 2 cents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tf2 is ###### since it have the buy-item ###### system, i hate valve for that so much, i realy love to play tf2 but its now unfair, people who buy all the items get more health and stuff...just handicap for other players who don't want spend money on virtual useless stuff.
    R.I.P. TF2 2007-2008
    I guess Advertise is enough on steam if the game is FINAL, a lot of people would buy this!
    No stupid useless pointless, ###### items are needed.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1829162:date=Feb 2 2011, 03:26 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 2 2011, 03:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tf2 is ###### since it have the buy-item ###### system, i hate valve for that so much, i realy love to play tf2 but its now unfair, people who buy all the items get more health and stuff...just handicap for other players who don't want spend money on virtual useless stuff.
    R.I.P. TF2 2007-2008
    I guess Advertise is enough on steam if the game is FINAL, a lot of people would buy this!
    No stupid useless pointless, ###### items are needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you don't play TF2 anymore why do you care whether they do another hat deal?

Frankly, I think this is a great idea, as long as the hats/customizable bonus items are kept to TF2. The black armor was a great incentive for getting people to pre-order during the alpha build, but I'm weary of any further changes, especially if they confer an in-game bonus (e.g. extra health, damage, armor, etc.) Even purely cosmetic changes may lead to balance issues.

However, if TF2 hats are all that is needed to get even 1% of the TF2 playerbase to purchase NS2, then I say go for it. I want UWE to do well so that they can produce further great games and the Valve/TF2 market seems like the natural place for UWE to expand.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1829162:date=Feb 2 2011, 06:26 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 2 2011, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tf2 is ###### since it have the buy-item ###### system, i hate valve for that so much, i realy love to play tf2 but its now unfair, people who buy all the items get more health and stuff...just handicap for other players who don't want spend money on virtual useless stuff.
    R.I.P. TF2 2007-2008
    No stupid useless pointless, ###### items are needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

trolololol

Every item that you can buy in that game, you can find without paying. The few items you have to gamble for with real money are 100% cosmetic. Idle a couple nights and you'll find almost any gameplay-changing item you want.

I'm kinda surprised so many are raging against hats, yet none blink an eye at hidden rave rooms :P
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829020:date=Feb 1 2011, 05:49 PM:name=Schro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 1 2011, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A good game is selling itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really. If people don't know about a product, how can they buy it?

Imo the accessories for TF2 is a good idea but, as AaronEl stated, it only attracts those who play TF2. A very good way is to

<!--quoteo(post=1828526:date=Jan 30 2011, 12:55 AM:name=HoAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoAx @ Jan 30 2011, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Advertise on Steam<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because I for once spot games and especially special offers there. I wonder how does a game get to the home page rolling advertisement slot.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829604:date=Feb 4 2011, 08:37 AM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonserniJohtaja @ Feb 4 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo the accessories for TF2 is a good idea but, as AaronEl stated, it only attracts those who play TF2. A very good way is to<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well even if they are buying NS2 just for some silly item for TF2 it would still be $$$ for UWE, And thats a good thing :)
    Im sure they would even suck some people right into the Uniqueness of NS2.

<!--quoteo(post=1829604:date=Feb 4 2011, 08:37 AM:name=KonserniJohtaja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KonserniJohtaja @ Feb 4 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder how does a game get to the home page rolling advertisement slot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I my self have thought about this, I would hope that if it does cost money they would give UWE a very very good discount, I mean they only created the best HL mod ever!
    Also even more of a discount for a possible hat/item creation for buying it ;)
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    the concept of a hat is great, it can be a promotional offer just as rift has done (hat, two weapons in TF2 ONLY if you preorder now)

this is exellent as not only does it:

attract a larger range of customers, some from the TF2 community

promote ns2 so you get more than you should be getting by getting DLC for TF2

BUT its one of the best ways of raising awareness, this is key to selling a game and if they know the game exists then they will look at it and then buy it due to its great awe.

Although some people fine TF2 hats quite dubious as a "money making scheme" they will take a look into what is ns2 and find out whether or not they will buy the game and enjoy the online sensation.

i must say, making a TF2 hat promotional strategy is KEY for UWE, i think it would be great for them to make more money and make NS2 bigger with more people.

most of the people that played NS1 (half-life mod) own TF2 as they follow the valve half-life trilogy, so a big portion of the old players will be attracted and be like "WOW it came out... i remember i played that game... good times)

this is a great idea. also take note:

NS2 plans to be released at some point of october (halloween promotion ^^?)
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    TF2 has already been ruined. I'm all for NS2 items, it can't get any worse than it already is.

<b>NO HATS IN NS2, THOUGH.</b>

TF2 had a great style and it was killed by all these customizations. Don't do it to NS.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831098:date=Feb 10 2011, 06:23 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Feb 10 2011, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 has already been ruined. I'm all for NS2 items, it can't get any worse than it already is.

<b>NO HATS IN NS2, THOUGH.</b>

TF2 had a great style and it was killed by all these customizations. Don't do it to NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You really should read the other comments.
    He was proposing whether TF2 should obtain a NS2 promotion item.