Crysis 2 & NS2HD

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
<div class="IPBDescription">Feeder Channel</div>Hi everyone,

I've just created a youtube channel called /HDCrysis2. No, I am not creating replacement/competitor/equal for NS2HD! I've created it because I want to leverage the massive marketing of EA for Crysis 2, and feed some people to NS2HD through some Crysis 2 gameplay vids. I'm hoping I can get a few thousand hits on "HDC2," a few of which will then click through to NS2HD.

Basically I'm going to link to NS2HD all over C2HD. At the end of the videos, in the other channel box, etc etc.

Long story short, C2HD is a feeder channel for NS2HD and I'm not diverting my attention from NS2 towards EA's monstrosity.

Comments

• Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Wouldn't you call it C2HD? just to be consistent with NS2-HD and then having Crysis 2-HD. Regardless I can't wait, been waiting for walkthrough's of the actual non-pirated copy of Crysis 2, and if the video gets enough views then you'll bring tons of attention to NS2.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I wanted C2HD Heroman117 but some gromit already has the names Crysis2HD and C2HD so I had to settle for HDCrysis2. Let's hope your right about the attention, if just 1% of Crysis2 players saw NS2 it would be a PR boon.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    OMG! This is the best idea ever NS2HD! This game will get soooo Much plublicity. Besides, all the people who watch crysis must have good machines they will be able to run NS2 as well.

Simply a great idea.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    The Crysis 2 demo actually has impressed me quite a bit; I thought it would be bulky and choppy but it's very responsive and smooth despite my old hardware. Even the intro video was entertaining! The game is going to be huge so you got a great idea there, linking the two.
    Oh yea a link to the profile would be nice plz, i can subscribe and show friends it as soon as videos come out.
    K thanks
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the support guys. Channel is youtube.com/HDCrysis2, first video is up :)
  • Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
    Awesome, I think you would be able to get a lot of people with Halo: Reach HD also. I'll be sure to subscribe.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836108:date=Mar 5 2011, 10:46 AM:name=Nex Carnifex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nex Carnifex @ Mar 5 2011, 10:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome, I think you would be able to get a lot of people with Halo: Reach HD also. I'll be sure to subscribe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It'd be a little harder since Halo: Reach is an Xbox exclusive, however CallOfDutyBlackOpsHD could be a possibility since there is a PC version, and i generally think Call of Duty has a somewhat larger audience than Halo, although bringing the entire Call of Duty fanbase into Natural selection 2 may be a little rocky at first since they are very different kinds of games; but still, any publicity at this point should be good in the long run.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836132:date=Mar 5 2011, 09:59 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Mar 5 2011, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It'd be a little harder since Halo: Reach is an Xbox exclusive, however CallOfDutyBlackOpsHD could be a possibility since there is a PC version, and i generally think Call of Duty has a somewhat larger audience than Halo, although bringing the entire Call of Duty fanbase into Natural selection 2 may be a little rocky at first since they are very different kinds of games; but still, any publicity at this point should be good in the long run.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but there's already about a billion cod channels it'd be hard to stand out
    Haha well it could all be for nought, as it's very likely I won't get any viewers anyway. There's already about 100 Crysis2 commentary channels. But it's worth a try!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    You should try and get totalbiscuit to do a dual commentary with you on NS2, his voice and cynical commentary is so damn epic! Combined with your Aussie powers it is a win win situation!

Oh and good luck getting this channel up and running as well :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1836150:date=Mar 6 2011, 12:51 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 6 2011, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha well it could all be for nought, as it's very likely I won't get any viewers anyway. There's already about 100 Crysis2 commentary channels. But it's worth a try!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're a great commentator, I'm sure you'll get a lot of viewers, maybe you'll even become the most popular, who knows.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    The obvious problem with doing big-name games is the sheer number of other people doing them. Unless you've got something unique to offer, you're going to get very little recognition. NS2HD works because for one, it's the only NS2 dedicated channel outside of UWE. For two, he has interviews, in person, with UWE staff (which brings a lot of extra viewers). Unfortunately, you can't really do the same with Crysis because the chance of getting an interview with staff is pretty low - so you need to be creative.

Plus, having 2 channels will bring a lot of extra work for Hugh, who is already bogged down by the new job. Perhaps having some sort of partnership with someone who is or is willing to make videos for another game would be a better option. 2 channels but same amount of work.

The game that is chosen also has to match NS2 to some degree:
    - FPS
    - Mutliplayer
    - Cooperative

Crysis 2 matches these criteria.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1836201:date=Mar 6 2011, 09:50 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Mar 6 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The obvious problem with doing big-name games is the sheer number of other people doing them. Unless you've got something unique to offer, you're going to get very little recognition. NS2HD works because for one, it's the only NS2 dedicated channel outside of UWE. For two, he has interviews, in person, with UWE staff (which brings a lot of extra viewers). Unfortunately, you can't really do the same with Crysis because the chance of getting an interview with staff is pretty low - so you need to be creative.

Plus, having 2 channels will bring a lot of extra work for Hugh, who is already bogged down by the new job. Perhaps having some sort of partnership with someone who is or is willing to make videos for another game would be a better option. 2 channels but same amount of work.

The game that is chosen also has to match NS2 to some degree:
    - FPS
    - Mutliplayer
    - Cooperative

Crysis 2 matches these criteria.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now that you mention it, the upcoming (Q1 2011) Nuclear Dawn's fps/rts gameplay sounds pretty darn close to what NS2 is about.
    AFAIK both games have origins as hl1/hl2 mods, and later became commercial. I wouldn't be surprised if the ND developers were inspired by NS1 to create ND in the first place. Question is, how similar will these games be based on their gameplay?

Here one of ND's developers compares the gameplay of ND to the one in NS2:
    <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584484" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1584484</a>
    ND does sound similar to NS2 however the issue is it's also indie and the point of C2HD (or HDC2) was to use the existing EA marketing platform as a jump-board for NS2 to gain awareness. Leeching off it's popularity.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836202:date=Mar 7 2011, 12:04 AM:name=perso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perso @ Mar 7 2011, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now that you mention it, the upcoming (Q1 2011) Nuclear Dawn's fps/rts gameplay sounds pretty darn close to what NS2 is about.
    AFAIK both games have origins as hl1/hl2 mods, and later became commercial. I wouldn't be surprised if the ND developers were inspired by NS1 to create ND in the first place. Question is, how similar will these games be based on their gameplay?

Here one of ND's developers compares the gameplay of ND to the one in NS2:
    <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584484" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1584484</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the reply, I will consider buying it, but I'd like to try a demo before I buy it, so I hope there would be one to try the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Or better, a beta.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I lol'd.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Crysis 2 "beta" I've played for a couple hours, and only found one minor bug with reloading. It's just a sneak preview, like all of the recent "betas" from huge game companies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836325:date=Mar 7 2011, 04:53 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Mar 7 2011, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crysis 2 "beta" I've played for a couple hours, and only found one minor bug with reloading. It's just a sneak preview, like all of the recent "betas" from huge game companies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I ###### hate that big companies are using beta as a buzzword to give all their fans elitist boners.