Squad Connection Ability

l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
edited May 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Probably not what you think.</div>So I thought it might be a good addition to marines for players within the same squad to be able to see each others health and armor at all times. It would be a marine ability called SIM which would stand for Squad Information Matrix. Pretty much when marines are in a squad, their suits are connected and share information with each other. This allows squad mates to see each others health and armor. I would even like to be able to see my teammates current ammo count. Lastly, it would also allow marines to see each others threats. If one marine in the squad has visual on a alien threat, all marines can see it through objects.

Visually it would work by highlighting the marine models with two very feint outlines that change color according to both armor and health level. It would be dim enough that it wouldn't draw attention and obstruct player vision, but it would allow teammates to see at any point what there squad mates current status is. For current ammo, you could have read out current clip and ammo reserve above the players head. Lastly, all these HUD displays would be able to be toggled on and off so if you wanted to, you could toggle each one of them on and off. This would allow you to turn them off during a firefight than toggle them on afterwards to get a read out on your squads situation.

When you enter a squad, the player could have a nice soft female voice say something like, "Connecting to Red Squad Information Matrix . . . . . Connected." Then all the squad members information would show on the players vision.

This would do multiple things. First, it would allow marines on the ground to know when they're joining a squad. Second, it would emphasize the importance of getting into a squad. And three, it would give a clear benefit for being in a squad and working as a team without overpowering or underpowered marines with unintuitive damage and armor buffs.

If some of this is repeat information, I apologize.

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2011
    The first thing they need to do is fix the way squads work in the first place because it seems to be passaive and... ... broken.

I do agree with the things you said though. That would be a cool addition to the game.

I see this as something to do in the polishing time rather than in an early beta.

But none-the-less nice ideas.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I like this idea, it would add some depth to the teamplay. I would, however, suggest to show the information on the HUD, instead of on top of players. A bit like a "party" in games like WoW.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I like the SIM idea.
    But having this "shared vision", not so much. It sounds more like an alien ability then a marine ability. And it would make it so much harder for aliens to ambush.
    But mix the SIM idea with Runteh's idea would be awesome:
    <!--quoteo(post=1849072:date=May 29 2011, 06:21 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ May 29 2011, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Auto squads are perfect at the moment, but for one flaw. There is no cooling off period.

What needs to happen is this:

We all know that walking near to another player activates the auto squad circling, but it is useless because when you move away that connection is broken.

What should happen is a cool off period + joining a squad automatically assigns you to it for a minimum of 30 seconds.

<b>So for example:</b>

You walk near your friend, you auto join.

If you leave straight away, you have a 30 second (or so) period where you are still attached to that squad.

For every second you spend within the squad, you gain a second that you are still attached to it out of the squad.

So if you die, or walk away, it doesnt automatically break up the squad.

<b>Also:</b>

If you don't want to be in that squad, for every second you spend out of it and near another player/squad it could accelerate the time x2 of leaving the previous squad and joining the new one.

<b>In conclusion:</b>

A system that promotes player freedom, whilst giving the commander easy access to squads that don't break apart every 5 seconds.

It also removes the fuss and needlessness of joining a squad, leaving a squad, assigning players... etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • kai-kai- Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98679Members
    edited June 2011
    Maybe strengthen that even further and allow a squad 'sight'.

For example, you squad mate has clear view of a skulk behind an RT but don't have line of sight.
    With squad sight researched, you are granted a faint outline of that skulk.

What this does is it strengthens the advantage of moving as a team, punish ramboing by buffing skulks - 11 bullets is too easy.
    it might even be an idea to allow vision through walls, so you can locate your squad mates without bringing up the minimap and assess their surroundings.
    I know a lot of newer players seriously under-rate and under-use the minimap.

Might be hard to code though, and some limitations would need to be put in place,
    like conditions on when an alien is considered 'visible' by your squad mate.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I don't think the shared vision idea is a great idea, we might get motion tracking back in the game at some point(hopefully only in powered areas of the map), that might fill this need you guys have.
    Also using the sound of your headphones can often pinpoint where aliens are.
    Marines simply dont need that shared vision. And it doesn't fit in the marine concept very well. It would become like parasite, just that it only requires a marine to spot you, not using energy/time and not revieling yourself(like parasite plays a sound). I'd define that ability to be too powerful. Ambushes on a group of marines would be nearly impossible.
    Basic marines should act upon instinct, not act upon a integrated "wallhack/shared vision".

Squads should only help teamplayers(provide information about each other in the HUD), not give them an actual benefit. They benefit from being close to each other. More damage, more protection. Good players know this, new players will learn it as they play.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I'd just like it if you could see (rather, they made it more obvious) where your squadmates are aiming/firing, so you could all focus fire. I'm definitely behind the OP's idea though. Names, health, armour, weapon, and ammo.
    <!--quoteo(post=1849745:date=Jun 3 2011, 01:47 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 3 2011, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd just like it if you could see (rather, they made it more obvious) where your squadmates are aiming/firing, so you could all focus fire. I'm definitely behind the OP's idea though. Names, health, armour, weapon, and ammo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That will become more obvious when the minimap in the corner of the screen gets in, for the marines. I see no need for further "wallhacks" than motion tracking.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would, however, suggest to show the information on the HUD, instead of on top of players. A bit like a "party" in games like WoW.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I myself would prefer that outline so you could see where you squad mates are through objects from a distance, and you get direct feedback on their condition when they're in your view instead of having to take the moment to glance over at a party GUI overlay. Also, I don't find those party overlays really immersion usually, and they take up needed vision. I know they want toe GUI for players to be extremely minimalistic, and by doing the outlines, it keeps it minimalistic while providing critical information when needed. Just my personal preference though.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Squads should gain the marines buff/bonus. May that be increased damage when close to other squad members or a shared sight (Wouldn't see a use of this though considering the squad members will be close together and would see what the others are seeing anyway).

The buff/bonus should only be active when the marines are close together. If they are not close then they are still in the squad but just don't get that buff/bonus. 2 people of the same squad should be together in order to get the buff/bonus.

That way it would promote commanders to become better and to assist their team more. Better commanders who put people in squads would make their team better than those who don't put their team in squads.

Armoury still needs work though.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Why a buff? being together is a buff.
    When your mate is having a hard time with a skulk circling and jumping around him, you can easily take it down since you have an easier time keeping it in your crosshair.

that's good enough as a buff to me.
    Thats exactly what I meant subshadow, there is no need for these damage/armor/whatever buffs. Being more marines together IS the buff. Players just need to learn that somehow.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited June 2011
    Highlighting the player model itself (through walls for example) is good, but any other teammate information provided should have a static position on HUD. A single waypoint was enough to mess up your game in NS1, multiple teammates with floating info boxes would be horrendous.

Maybe you could for example have the armor lights change colour depending on the situation. For example a red light would signal armor malfunction (needs welding!) or so.

I've also been in favour of having marine only visible lasers that allow you to see where your teammates are aiming. Give them a couple of colours or other means of identifying the laser user and you've got a pretty efficient communication tool too ("Check that hiding spot" *points the spot with a laser*).

Edit: And oh yeah, enemy models shouldn't be visible through walls if you ask me. I can try to explain the reasoning for it tomorrow if necessary, but it doesn't feel right at all.
  • mammajoe44mammajoe44 Join Date: 2011-06-04 Member: 102635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849217:date=May 30 2011, 02:09 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 30 2011, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I thought it might be a good addition to marines for players within the same squad to be able to see each others health and armor at all times. It would be a marine ability called SIM which would stand for Squad Information Matrix. Pretty much when marines are in a squad, their suits are connected and share information with each other. This allows squad mates to see each others health and armor. I would even like to be able to see my teammates current ammo count. Lastly, it would also allow marines to see each others threats. If one marine in the squad has visual on a alien threat, all marines can see it through objects.

Visually it would work by highlighting the marine models with two very feint outlines that change color according to both armor and health level. It would be dim enough that it wouldn't draw attention and obstruct player vision, but it would allow teammates to see at any point what there squad mates current status is. For current ammo, you could have read out current clip and ammo reserve above the players head. Lastly, all these HUD displays would be able to be toggled on and off so if you wanted to, you could toggle each one of them on and off. This would allow you to turn them off during a firefight than toggle them on afterwards to get a read out on your squads situation.

When you enter a squad, the player could have a nice soft female voice say something like, "Connecting to Red Squad Information Matrix . . . . . Connected." Then all the squad members information would show on the players vision.

This would do multiple things. First, it would allow marines on the ground to know when they're joining a squad. Second, it would emphasize the importance of getting into a squad. And three, it would give a clear benefit for being in a squad and working as a team without overpowering or underpowered marines with unintuitive damage and armor buffs.

If some of this is repeat information, I apologize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I stoped reading after this "all marines can see it through objects."

No that takes away a element of communication. If someone sees something its there job to call it out. Teams with better coms are better teams.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I stoped reading after this "all marines can see it through objects."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I'm glad to see you took the time to take apart my whole argument, critically think about it, and form your own ideas off of it. Nothing like people being narrow sighted and close minded to get a good conversation going on.

It's not intellectually healthy to discredit or ignore someones whole idea because you don't agree with a single small part of it.

I could easily concede not sharing vision. It is just an idea I thought would be worth discussing in depth.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    edited June 2011
    Made a big old post and it got closed cause the damn login thingy..... so here's a summary of what i WAS going to say

-The squad sight must be researchable, require a squadmate to first target(hover reticule over it for like 3 seconds) the alien to 'paint' it with a faded outline which lasts as long as the alien is in view of anyone in your squad, the outline can only be seen through 1-2 walls by your squadmates.
    -Should be toggleable out of menu, should not obstruct too much player vision, the more players in the squad, the smaller rectangles to represent them on your HUD, and vice versa. May some1 post a picture of a marine's hud plzandty
    -Don't show marine outlines, instead put a compass like circle on the rectangles showing the direction to them.
    -No buffs.... period.
    -Be simple, have a cross for health, a shield/armor for armor, and a bullet for ammo, and have variety of sizes for them for less and more filled squads. Be sure to have the names of the players in the rectangles.

and if u need more clarification i'll give it
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849921:date=Jun 4 2011, 04:17 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 4 2011, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe you could for example have the armor lights change colour depending on the situation. For example a red light would signal armor malfunction (needs welding!) or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be great for the heavy armor. My suggestion: 3 bright "LED's" in a vertical row on it's back.
    3 lights: all okay
    2: took some damage
    1: armor under 30%
    0: armor gone

So teammates and aliens can see from far how much armor the HA (exo) has. And it's even better visible when he's running away from you :)
    plus it would look cool.
    edited June 2011
    I personally would prefer to have it as an overlay on the models themselves. It doesn't need to be an outline of the model. It could be a small pumping heart put on to the chest of squad members. It could be a health type bar/meter over layed onto their armor some how. Something very subtle visually but provides the information you need. For me, it fits the futuristic feel of NS. Plus, I don't like the idea of aliens being able to constantly see mine and my teammates condition. One, why would anyone logically signal to their enemy their current condition at all times. Two, it removes the information sharing benefit of being in a squad. Three, it gives aliens a huge advantage in being able to easily label weak marines and pick them off without having to make any strategical sacrifices.