New NS2 HD videos posted daily.

TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm going to be uploading daily HD videos of NS2 here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJnOEE-GxU&feature=channel_video_title" target="_blank">NS2 HD Videos</a>

I'll be taking requests and such and hopefully I'll also be doing some commentary videos in the near future. If there is any kind of competitive community or anything even resembling a competitive-oriented match PLEASE let me know so I can record it and put it up.

Edit: It seems as part of my channel title is censored, so posted a link to an actual video from the channel.

Comments

• TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    edited June 2011
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6GxayJ63I" target="_blank">Natural Selection 2 Marines/Commanding HD</a> uploaded!

Edit: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64As9I0Aj5A" target="_blank">Part 2</a> is up!
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyNfxbUxv4" target="_blank">Natural Selection 2 Fade Footage/Semi-Domination HD</a> uploaded!
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Haha fade in their base for the longest time... Oh my. Wish I got games like that! @__@
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQpRQxEI4M" target="_blank">Natural Selection 2 Marine Domination HD P1</a> uploaded!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbF6RxhY2Bg" target="_blank">Part 2 here.</a>
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    nice videos

wish my game was that smooth

What are your comp specs btw?
    <!--quoteo(post=1852322:date=Jun 13 2011, 07:57 AM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jun 13 2011, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nice videos

wish my game was that smooth

What are your comp specs btw?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz
    6970 2GB
    4GB @ 2133
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    That CPU... wow.

Allow me to derail this thread for just a moment, but I'm thinking of getting either an INTEL CORE i5 760 2.8GHz 8MB (LGA1156, 45nm) or an INTEL CORE i5 2500 3.3GHz 6MB (LGA1155, 32nm); I don't need the K 'cause I'm not going to overclock, I can't afford the cooling for that nor do I have the experience. They're priced about exactly the same, which should I get? (Rather, is the larger cache of the 760 worth the lower clock speed?)
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    If you need it now? I5 2500k and get corsair h50 for 50 bucks, or the non k.

If you dont need it now wait 6 month for the new 22nm Tri-gate processors (ivy bridge), or fir the new AMD Bulldozer!

Btw: Here in switzerland the i5 2500 costs 227dollar and the i5 2500k 237dollar. So get the k version!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1852497:date=Jun 13 2011, 09:48 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 13 2011, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That CPU... wow.

Allow me to derail this thread for just a moment, but I'm thinking of getting either an INTEL CORE i5 760 2.8GHz 8MB (LGA1156, 45nm) or an INTEL CORE i5 2500 3.3GHz 6MB (LGA1155, 32nm); I don't need the K 'cause I'm not going to overclock, I can't afford the cooling for that nor do I have the experience. They're priced about exactly the same, which should I get? (Rather, is the larger cache of the 760 worth the lower clock speed?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2500-k hands down, no question. It's the best gaming CPU money can buy (except for the i7 2600-k), and outperforms $1000 extreme CPUs. Get the -k even if you're not going to overclock, as it has a higher turbo speed. The stats may not look too different, but the architecture differences between the 760 and the 2500-k are immense. I have the same CPU and overclocked the same, and NS2 plays great.
    Well, the difference is only about ten bucks between the vanilla and the k, so I don't mind paying a little bit extra. 207AUD for the 2500, 219AUD for the 2500K. Definitely worth it even if I don't overclock? Will I need to buy a better cooler as Floodinator suggests? Australian summers can get to around 43C, though we're in winter atm.
    I kinda do want the upgrade within the next couple weeks as my comp is just running ######-slow atm, and I'm on break from uni. Plus I don't know if I'd be able to afford the new CPUs as they come out anyway, so I'd just prefer to buy now.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Get more RAM if you only have a few GB too.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852858:date=Jun 14 2011, 08:04 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 14 2011, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, the difference is only about ten bucks between the vanilla and the k, so I don't mind paying a little bit extra. 207AUD for the 2500, 219AUD for the 2500K. Definitely worth it even if I don't overclock? Will I need to buy a better cooler as Floodinator suggests? Australian summers can get to around 43C, though we're in winter atm.
    I kinda do want the upgrade within the next couple weeks as my comp is just running ######-slow atm, and I'm on break from uni. Plus I don't know if I'd be able to afford the new CPUs as they come out anyway, so I'd just prefer to buy now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're gonna need Win7 64 bit to go with it as well. A 32bit system only allows you to address ~3.6GB of ram. If you have a 1GB video card then your system is down to 2.6GB to work on. With a Intel high-end CPU chewing through data, you're going to want all the ram space you can get to feed that beast.
    Yeah, I realised that's a problem with my current system (1gb video card, 4gb ram, 32-bit XP). But I am planning on making the switch to 64-bit Win7. I was only planning on getting 4gb for my upgraded system, but depending on how the funds situation looks (I'm already on $400 before Ram, Mobo, Case, PSU), I could probably manage 8gb. I wasn't planning on spending much more than 500, maybe 600, but it seems like it's unavoidable. Just gonna have to eat less.
  • mammajoe44mammajoe44 Join Date: 2011-06-04 Member: 102635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852878:date=Jun 14 2011, 10:55 PM:name=mammajoe44)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mammajoe44 @ Jun 14 2011, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->more videos!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uploading 2 more tonight, should be up by morning.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1852858:date=Jun 14 2011, 08:04 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 14 2011, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, the difference is only about ten bucks between the vanilla and the k, so I don't mind paying a little bit extra. 207AUD for the 2500, 219AUD for the 2500K. Definitely worth it even if I don't overclock? Will I need to buy a better cooler as Floodinator suggests? Australian summers can get to around 43C, though we're in winter atm.
    I kinda do want the upgrade within the next couple weeks as my comp is just running ######-slow atm, and I'm on break from uni. Plus I don't know if I'd be able to afford the new CPUs as they come out anyway, so I'd just prefer to buy now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't need a better cooler for the 2500-k. I was overclocking it with the stock cooler to 3.9 GHz before I upgraded, but it did fine. The CPU runs cool. And if you're absolutely sure you will never overclock, then the vanilla 2500 will do. But it's so easy nowadays (unlike a few years ago), that it's literally just changing one value and you never have to worry about it again--when the extra power isn't needed, it automatically underclocks the CPU, saving power and wear. Sorry for any more derailment in the thread.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852876:date=Jun 14 2011, 11:52 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 14 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I realised that's a problem with my current system (1gb video card, 4gb ram, 32-bit XP). But I am planning on making the switch to 64-bit Win7. I was only planning on getting 4gb for my upgraded system, but depending on how the funds situation looks (I'm already on $400 before Ram, Mobo, Case, PSU), I could probably manage 8gb. I wasn't planning on spending much more than 500, maybe 600, but it seems like it's unavoidable. Just gonna have to eat less.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should get a better cooler than the Boxed one.
    A good cooler costs around 30-40 bucks.
    The h50 is Watercooling for 50bucks. It is prefilled and just ready to mount.
    So you can run it @5ghz with no Problems and NS2 is a CPU lasting game.
    Dont get to much Ram! I have 12Gigs and my pc never used more than 33% of it!
    So 6 gigs in Tripplechannel is just fine! And dont buy faster one than 1600mhz it is usless in Games.

I love your comments sometimes NS2HD.
    Nice vids!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    Just that the h50 doesnt cool better or more silent than aircoolers, and doesnt share the modability of a real watercooling set.
    So its a gimmik for ppl that want to sound cool for saying - dude i got a watercooler. (no offense - its ok)

You get as silent and as good aircoolers for less money. Or more silent and better for the same/or a bit more money.

The only pro with the H50 or similar systems is, if you got a really small mATX case, you can place the radiator at a better more airflow friendly position. (since only topblow coolers fit in such cases which is not really good for airflow usually)
    <!--quoteo(post=1852982:date=Jun 15 2011, 10:47 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jun 15 2011, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just that the h50 doesnt cool better or more silent than aircoolers, and doesnt share the modability of a real watercooling set.
    So its a gimmik for ppl that want to sound cool for saying - dude i got a watercooler. (no offense - its ok)

You get as silent and as good aircoolers for less money. Or more silent and better for the same/or a bit more money.

The only pro with the H50 or similar systems is, if you got a really small mATX case, you can place the radiator at a better more airflow friendly position. (since only topblow coolers fit in such cases which is not really good for airflow usually)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I Run a H70 with 7 volt in a bigtower (Enermax). I don't even hear the Fans of the H70.
    The reason i took the H70 was, that I didn't wanted the GPU and CPU running on the same Watercooling. Just read some tests!
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    No wonder you win all the games, aliens aren't building anything...
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZoOKe4i4nw" target="_blank">Natural Selection 2 Additional Marine Footage HD P1
    </a> uploaded!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUUcsmm7bUA" target="_blank">Part 2.</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL6lVP6Scv4" target="_blank">Problems with Natural Selection 2</a> uploaded!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    1. This is strange, you are saying in your channel, that you were Flayra...but you are not Charlie, whose picture is in your Youtube-Account. What does that mean? You are obviously not a dev, due to your last video.

2. Good skills, your videos are fun to watch.

3. I don't agree with judging gameplay features at this point. I know that alll that stuff is new for us NS1 players; but they know what they're doing, I am sure. Patience ;)
  • JayArcJayArc Join Date: 2011-06-03 Member: 102391Members
    Just watched your 'problems with NS2' video. Its like the opposite of NS2HD videos..LOL.. Like a negative version.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i think most of what he says is legit.. marines atm pretty much get 2 free shotguns from the start with no side effect on economic expansion. Once primary weapons start dropping on death and rego isn't so finicky, its pretty much going to be shotguns and flamethrowers 100% uptime. good marine sides will dominate and the lmg will basically become obsolete after early game...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1854849:date=Jun 20 2011, 11:28 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 20 2011, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think most of what he says is legit.. marines atm pretty much get 2 free shotguns from the start with no side effect on economic expansion. Once primary weapons start dropping on death and rego isn't so finicky, its pretty much going to be shotguns and flamethrowers 100% uptime. good marine sides will dominate and the lmg will basically become obsolete after early game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aight, but take the following into acount, it's quite possible to make NS2 balanced. Saying it's impossible without the removal of powergrid, DI, personal resources is simply bull. Here goes, no vid.

Just a LOOOONG text obviously somewhat off-topic as in theory crafting vs video release thread (same goes for that PSU shenanigans you guys :P)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comparing a Work in Progress with a completed game/mod is quite odd... Sure there are some valid points, like the shotty being too easy to acquire and deadly against lower tier lifeforms. But you can't judge balancing once the game is feature complete. Easy shotty fix would be to make it tier 2 AND dependent on two tech_points (quite similar to the Fade as it is the anti-fade weapon mostly), this would in effect require the rifle and pistol to have an overhaul in terms of firepower as well vs early Skulks

- The powernodes actually serve to speed up games (contrary to what was said), it will lowers the amount of resources to the marines, ergo stretching their resources and ending their game if they don't retaliate... I actually would love to see the dependence on multiple tech_nodes make a comeback, because the current system promotes turtling something awful!
    -- point is valid that it slows the game down, but here's the thing: it currently slows the game down because of the time it takes to repair or destroy them (same goes for the DI of course). They depend on hitpoints for longevity instead of players/structure defense...

- The pustule idea probably has a similar effect to speed up the game by cutting off supplies to the aliens, effectively cutting them off from higher tiers due to resource issues

And I do believe Charlie once said they want the resource sectors (or powergrid) to function in a similar way to Company of Heroes. That is indeed a mighty fine RTS system to stop turtling vs human players right...

<b>The only issue at hand right now, which is certainly a smudge on gameflow in the current builds and health values for static structures. Actually it something quite hideous they should really steer clear from</b> <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Currently players are fighting against the environment more so then fighting against players. Killing/repairing powernodes, taking down infestation and all that jazz. You'd generally want players fighting players most of the time. The most obvious "fix" is of course downing the time of repair/destruction of DI and pustules, making them depend on defensive/offensive skills of the players instead of sheer hitpoints. Main base powernodes or DI nodes could perhaps have a higher amount of hitpoints, being connected to the tech_point and active team based main structure. In-map powernodes and pustules could indeed be lowered in hitpoints as this is usually where the battle between players. This way the main base for both teams is a bit more safe and the battlefield is a mayhem of combat and territory control (which it should be!)

If the game goes on to have end-game units on the field, they are most likely going to be game-ending for the other team. I would love to see this arms race to get to tier 3 and have a final-face off between both end game units, once one of them loses this all out battle and sheer amount of resources, it should be a matter of minutes to level the enemies main base. This should be the logical conclusion of these units. IE: The ARC is severely lacking in this role currently: but this is mostly artificially induced, because the aliens don't have game ending units as of yet, so basically the Gorge is now main base defense :D <b>ONOS where are yeee!</b>

But hell, ALL of this is still theorycrafting and subject to heavy balancing and changes, and in the capable hands of UWE. But I just theorycrafted it all together so it could indeed be quite balanced and work seamlessly. However it doesn't hold any water until the game is actually feature complete, that's the thing with theorycrafting... Not to mention it's quite <b>TLDR;</b>, come to think of it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Now don't get me wrong, I like the vids. I just tend to disagree with your theorycrafting</b> :P
    @Kouji_San:
    I probably should have written my thoughts more clearly before creating that video. When I said that I thought power nodes slow the game down, I mean that it takes forever for marines to "build" them and they're not a fun mechanic in any way, shape or form. Honestly instead of how it's currently done I think that they should auto-repair over time or something and shut down temporarily when killed (for 1-2 minutes).

"Currently players are fighting against the environment more so then fighting against players."

That is so damn true. Infestation/nodes should be a dynamic part of gameplay, but they shouldn't be a main focus. I don't think power nodes are necessary for ending games either, since alien map dominance (with additional hives) unlocked additional abilities which greatly favored their ability to end the game (bile bomb, acid rocket, charge, roar/scream).

Basically I haven't done any theorycrafting, just some basic impressions from a heavy NS1 player.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Now what's up with that picture and Flayra/Charlie-thing?
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1854859:date=Jun 21 2011, 12:08 AM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Jun 21 2011, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Kouji_San:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I was cheating here as in I have the forum thread to calmly write down me words with a drink and some foodz right next to me, while you were just speaking your mind :P

I was just thinking about some it more actually. The regen kinda makes sense as well, the powergrid trying to repair itself, which could perhaps be canceled by putting a pustule on the node... Hmm, food for thought right there UWE :P

[edit]
    I don't mind the building of structures though, its just the powernodes and DI would be nicer to influence using combat -->

Pustule on node or anywhere in the map dies by firepower
    Powernodes are still killed the old fashioned way, by alien firepower so to speak. Bu could regenerate...