Need an NS2 information resource

m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Please help!</div>Greetings.
I am new to this game, and I never played NS1. This game is quite complex, but there isn't any obvious way to learn to play, except by just getting into the game and learning by trial and error. I have already learned quite a bit from interest, game play, and reading the forums, but I was hoping there is a wiki or another site with comprehensive info about the game where I could read up. If there isn't, than the game really needs one... Build orders, strats, info on tech requirements, health/armor info, gun specs and uses, hot keys, etc etc etc.

also, is there a comprehensive list of console commands (to use for joining/leaving servers, recording demos, making FPS optimizations, etc etc)?

this game is too good for people to lose interest because it is too difficult to learn/become good at. NS1 was a long time ago, and the majority of new interest will be from people who never played it.

thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited June 2011
    wiki: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page</a>

console junk: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...onsole_Commands</a>
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    This brings up a really good point, this game is very unfriendly to noobies...
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    it's been unfriendly since the first one, especially the community. tried getting back into the first maybe last year and got quite a few complaints for not knowing (or forgetting) every nook and cranny.
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    thanks for the response. :) gamers have always been elitist, and angry at everyone else for not understanding every little nuance of whatever it is that they're doing.

I have actually been to both of those websites. they do provide good information, but both seem very lacking. Is that really the entire list of console commands available to us? or is it just because the game is still in beta that we don't have access to more.

also, I would also really like to see information on tactics, strategy, and game play... what to build first/second, how to defend, how to siege, etc etc. I suppose that im being unrealistic, but I don't see why a few community members can't write some basic "How-to guide on Marine Commander" or whatever guides, and then have them stickied in the forums. it would certainly at least give old NS1 vets somewhere to point noobs to, instead of just raging...
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    List your questions in a clear and concise manner.

If some are things that should be obvious in-game (tips, hud, etc)
    then perhaps the devs may take note of them. (they read the forums)

If they are things that you have to read a manual (tech tree)
    then making sure the wiki is up to date doesn't hurt either.

Overall NS2 is far easier to learn than NS1.
    I remember training people at a LAN on NS1 just to play 1 or 2 games.

The tips are a great addition
    (Press 'b' to evolve)
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1851267:date=Jun 9 2011, 04:43 PM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 9 2011, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have actually been to both of those websites. they do provide good information, but both seem very lacking. Is that really the entire list of console commands available to us? or is it just because the game is still in beta that we don't have access to more.

also, I would also really like to see information on tactics, strategy, and game play... what to build first/second, how to defend, how to siege, etc etc. I suppose that im being unrealistic, but I don't see why a few community members can't write some basic "How-to guide on Marine Commander" or whatever guides, and then have them stickied in the forums. it would certainly at least give old NS1 vets somewhere to point noobs to, instead of just raging...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game is still very new, and constantly changing, and we're all still learning, so keeping track of any specific details right now would be counter-productive (a waste of time).
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Things change so much patch to patch that the wiki is a little behind. Such things as tactics, etc, isn't really applicable until closer to release. Nonetheless, the wiki does need a better overview page, and that's being worked on.
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    I understand that the game is in development, and as such it will be in a state of flux in regards to tactics, etc, but from what I've seen, there are many things that are already set.

For example, there are several things already that I learned only from reading random forum posts: a good way to counter fades is to use flamethrower and shotgun in combination, or to be aggressive and try to prevent a second hive.

a lot of things like this can be learned if you sit and read all of the small tool tips for each and every thing in game and then thought about in depth, but it would greatly help if the important bits are consolidated in a forum post or two.

how useful are sentry guns? I was in a game with a (seemingly) good commander who said that they were a waste of time and marines should just defend the areas themselves...

apparently gorges can spread infestation if they breathe directly on the floor. is it a good idea to task 1 player to babysit a harvester and keep the creep up until the commander has the energy to spread it all the way from base? how good of an idea is it to try for an immediate 2nd hive?

the tooltips in game are very helpful, and a step in the right direction, but obviously the devs haven't had time to flesh them out so that the system is intuitive.

it is probably too early to ask for an in-depth guide (despite that that's what I've been doing), but it would be cool to at least see some discussion or something.

As it is, I've convinced 3 other friends to come play the game this week, but many are frustrated with difficulty to learn tactics/gameplay etc (on top of development issues, balance, etc). that is the reason im asking.