Gorge pukes out Pustules

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
edited June 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">makes him valuable and counters abuse</div>i'd like it if infestation spreading would be up to the gorge and only the gorge...

let the gorge puke out pustules ! they would start of small (fit in his belly) and grow to a normal Pustule.
he can still healspray infestation to the ground.. wich would also make him valuable for taking resnodes..
the commander still builds chambers and does upgrades and stuff.but dont let the commander infest. it leads to stupid things like infestation apearing right on top of the resnodes marines just wanted to capture even if there is no aliens around... (abuse?)

With Pustule puking Gorges only rooms with aliens (at least a gorge) could be build in(kinda like NS1) since chambers can only be build on infestation...

the overwatch ability of the commander is also not needed with pustules (listen) because if you just put a pustule far away from the last pustule / hive there is a long ass vain wich can easily be attacked by marines (damadges both pustules) without the marine really being attacked by either defenses. so this will not likely happen in rooms wich people are fighting in.
the overwath commander still is important because (!!!) he replaces and improves the minimap wich gorges had to use in NS1 if they wantet to plan where buildings are needed / placed best. [/color]now the commander tells the gorge where to place DI and builds building, gorge helps building them.

so the alien <!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->commander<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is not like "<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->OLD : wtf? why would we need this and what is gorge good for now<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->" but more like "<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->NEW : oh thats awesom it really helps my lil' cute builder while he still can do the hard work wich he loves<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->"

Oh yeah.. and pustules are placed with hydra second function.. if you scroll to the "build mode" you see a circle on the ground, no hydra anymore and leftclick places hydra, rightclick pustule or other way around.

would also be kinda like marine side cause they can only build in powered rooms and marines / MACs have to repair them if they are destroyed..
man, i really love that idea.. and if you at least find it interesting comment so the thread will stay up high so i can hear the oppinion of the UWE team <3

Comments

• Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    oh c'mon... i wan't to know what UWE thinks of this.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    Gorge has plenty to do already, you don't need to force a player to play as gorge and spend the entire game spreading infestation. That's a stupid expectation.

It introduces a very awkward and clunky element to commanding because you have to communicate everything to the gorge and tell it where to infest, what to infest, what order to do it in, get out of the way I want to build something there, don't build a pustule there it's easy to shoot, now go over there and reinforce the connection with more of them, ok now come back I need this doing etc etc.

As opposed to commander dropping infestation where he can quickly and easily infest a room, drop structures, patch holes, and move onto the next one. Not to mention if something else comes up they can drop it and fix the new problem, then come back to it, and they don't end up with a gorge sitting there like an idiot waiting for the commander to stop being busy elsewhere.

All of this to fix a very simple bug, just require the commander to drop pustules on existing infestation. Boom, instant solution to your problem.

It also has the benefit of freeing up gorges to useful positions like building hydras in hives, pushing the attack by providing helpful healing and retreat points for aliens attacking a marine base, not to mention vital siege support with the introduction of bile bomb, and generally clogging up alien hallways with defences and (presumably) eventually webs.

Also makes it more fun for the gorge because they can now do what they want to do and not have to do ###### work for the commander.
    edited June 2011
    Gorge ATM is the most boring class in the game. The only thing he can do is spam hydras, tiny patches of di, heal a litle and die. Give him something to do. a battle medic? pfff, Di heals everywhere, crags heal way more efficient and stuff.. everything gorge can do someone or something else can do better.

and wtf is wrong with comunication? i dont see marines having problems like "hey, get away i wanna drop a sentry ther, hey dont stand ther, im busy go fight somewhere" gorge can communicate with the comm and still heal other aliens
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Gorge healspray is the fastest healing, maybe after hives. Crags only heal for 10 a pop, and infestation healing is so slow it would be useless on its own.
    still nothing wrong with comunication and giving gorges something to do
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    Gorges build the only long range alien defensive structure, they are far more effective healing than a crag, they are mobile so they can push an attack, they can accelerate structure growth making it much easier to drop forward healing areas for aliens, they can drop defenses on the front line very easily, they greatly enhance other players with their aforementioned healing and defensive structures, they are getting a siege weapon, they already have spit and heal spray, and they're available right from the start.

So gorges can build stuff, spread infestation, heal people, attack bases, and generally provide light fire support with spit if they aren't needed to do anything else.

As opposed to skulks, which, er, bite stuff?

And lerks, which shoot spikes at stuff.

Or fades, which hit stuff.

Gorges have far more to them than any of the other classes, certainly in terms of discrete abilities they are packed to the gills. The interesting thing about all of their abilities is that they work much better in combination with other aliens, gorges healing makes other aliens much tougher, as a distraction they can help skulks immensely, their infestation can help players track enemies, their hydras are far far far more effective when supported by commander structures and infestation or other players, and they can accelerate commander building. Bile bomb will be effective against structures but the gorge needs other units to distract the defenders. It's really an excellent class in design, so it seems a shame to ruin it by relegating it to doing menial labour and trying to jam the already very strong cooperation mechanic down everyone's throats.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852146:date=Jun 12 2011, 05:34 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jun 12 2011, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->still nothing wrong with comunication and <u>giving gorges something to do</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes there is.
    If the Scout in TF2 was able to heal, and the Spy was able to snipe, it would make other classes roles completely redundant, thus preventing diversification, thus preventing a variety of gameplay, thus creating a boring and repetitive multiplayer game.

The Commander's job would be pretty useless if the Gorge could mimic all of its fundamental properties.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852126:date=Jun 12 2011, 04:34 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jun 12 2011, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852126"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge ATM is the most boring class in the game. The only thing he can do is spam hydras, tiny patches of di, heal a litle and die. Give him something to do. a battle medic? pfff, Di heals everywhere, crags heal way more efficient and stuff.. everything gorge can do someone or something else can do better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know about you, but I find Gorge one of the best classes to play.
    I feel like I'm making a dramatic change to the game at hand and the progress of my team, all the while being in the heat of combat and ninja-gorging like a boss.
  • mammajoe44mammajoe44 Join Date: 2011-06-04 Member: 102635Members
    edited June 2011
    I like the idea alot.

As to it being a awkward and clunky element i disagree. Right now the aliens expand much faster then the marines and you dont need anyone to do it other then the rts player. This would be a good trade off to the aliens being so oped to make it so they do infact have to work together to build.

This would make the gorge vital in the early game and give a defined role to the gorge. He lays down the ground work for the rts player to build on.

This would widen the skill gap even more as its requires good teamwork. So a team that is solid in there plan and skilled will be better then one that inst.

Anything that expands the games learning curve is a good thing as it gives depth to the game and makes it so the only way to get better is to play and learn.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    While I would like to test Commander and Gorge both creating pustules, I don't think we should strip the Commander of his ability to claim territory. After all, he handles base building and research/upgrades. The pustule is a fun and indirect way for the Commander to provide assistance to his aliens, as well as expand on available build spaces on the map.

The way I see it, pustules might require infestation to grow like any other structure, so there's going to be a range limit to control spread (unlike the current click-and-appear method). If the Commander spread the infestation all the way from the Hive to a distant Res Node, he deserves to prevent Extractors from being placed. It won't take much more than 3 - 4 Shotgun blasts to pop a pustule anyway.

I would be happy if Gorge can make pustules, but I would still be happy if Gorge just use Heal Spray to connect infestation from Hive and to make forward bases.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    edited June 2011
    I really feel the alien comm and gorges should have a symbiotic relationship.

That in and of itself needs to be worked on.

Alien teams are still pretty damn quiet...
    - Gave Gorge the ability to drop pustules (current cost: 3 player resources). These generation infestation and will be integrated with the Commander pustules once those are implemented. This means Commander infestation and alien infestation will be the same (finally).

I kinda really owned y'all.. just letting you know.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Not really, the Commander's still going to be able to infest.
    <!--quoteo(post=1854531:date=Jun 19 2011, 08:22 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jun 19 2011, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->kinda<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    i like the idea, some depth needs to be added to the alien gameplay and infestation in general.