Community Project - TSA Database

whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello NS people!

Months ago I got an Idea for a little website that acts like a Database for user-created media regarding NS2. The Layout of the page was already made and I e-mailed around with Charlie and he gave green light. Then I experienced a major lack of free time and a loss of motivation for doing this project.

But I already wasted Charlie's time with e-mails rather than letting him making the game (silly me) so I thought how the project can be finished!

And this is how it goes:

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->What is it exactly?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

It's a simple website designed like a TSA Terminal. The Terminal acts like a Database for user created content. The Viewer browses the terminal for Audiologs, Images, Videos and other stuff. It's some kind of guerilla marketing website and also a symbol for the endless love for UWE and NS by it's community.

Here are two screenshots how it looks like now (Though it will be edited to perfection with YOUR help):

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/ns2log.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/ns2log.jpg/</a>
<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/ns2log2.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/806/ns2log2.jpg/</a>

The Background Story to it (that it makes sense game-wise) is that a TSA Soldier called Ghost, a l33t haxor collects different types of information that is secured by the TSA. Things that should not bother any marine if you'd like it so.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->And how do you want it to function?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

This Thread acts as the discussion and creation platform for the page. You write Ideas, give Suggestions and make your contribution.
There are four Types of Content I think are perfect for the Database: Audiofiles, Images, Videos and Other.

<b>Audiofiles:</b>

If your good with Audioprograms you can easily make a nice contribution.
All you need for this is <b>Software (like Adobe Soundbooth or anything related), the sounds from NS2 (you can extract them with a VCF extractor I believe) and maybe a mic</b>.

Then you can for example put together an Audiolog that tells the story of some marines that got in a fight. You just have to mix in the different sounds of NS, record some vocals and filter them with a radiochatter sound. The possibilites are endless.
<b>

If your good with graphic software you can make all the things you like, as long as it fits related to the game and the page. Propaganda Posters, edited ingame Screenshots, etc.

<b>Videos:</b>

For atmosspheric security camera footage like in the Fade Trailer or edited ingame videos. Though the other formats will make much less effort.

<b>Other:</b>

Textlogs, Chatlogs, Flashgames, whatever. Maybe even a HotTSAFemaleCalendar.exe.

--

The aim is to make this little page an entertaining experience with little effort. The creations can be atmosspheric or just funny, maybe even with a twist. It doesn't really matter at all. Even if theres only a bunch of things in every category it has been worth it. Of course your Nickname is mentioned.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I have made a little contribution - what now?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Upload it to rapidshare or where you like and then send me a private message with it. So your contribution is first seen on the page and not in the forums already, which would destroy the browsing/surprise effect of the page. I will upload it as soon everything works.

If you need any help you surely get it in this Thread.

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->What needs to be done?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

My only problem is, that I can't code the website. So I need help with that. All in all it only has to be a working html site, with around 2-3 pages and a template site where the content is added. I'll provide the finished Design. What needs exactly to be done is this:

1) Simple Coding of the Site
2) Finding a Hoster (maybe a member can provide a free Folder on his webspace) I dont think a domain is necessary for this.
3) Adding some Animations/Effects
4) Adding Content

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Anything else?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I hope everyone gets the Idea of it. With a bunch of nice contributions it can be a creative way to show the love to UWE, NS2 and the community.
Also it acts like a little "Teaser" for the game, if new people experience it.

So if you got any Suggestions or Ideas just shout it out!

Thanks!

Comments

• Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    edited June 2011
    This is an awesome idea.
    I would like to provide anything but I got no idea how to make a video, also my drawing exp. goes to paint.
    that audio thingy... I could have a look at it.
    Also I could try and write a little log, if someones willing to make it into audio ( I got a terrible voice...) he could do it...
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    Wow this is awesome! I'm not sure i have the technical skills required to create something but i'd love do play some part.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, kinda old thread now. With all the views, but few comments it seems like this Idea isn't going to work out like i thought. :)
    The Base is all there, we just need to team up a bit to get it done. Otherwise there's already pretty much ongoing in third-base ns2 features.

Another Idea would be to make it an NS2 custom map, where you strife through and can watch and listen to all the community made Stuff. Which would keep it in the game and very interacting. Though the website was at first the easiest way to do.

So, after all, assets by the community are only made when the project looks rewarding. If anyone is interested in helping in such a project just post or pm.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    I was hoping to see this go somewhere. It's a really interesting idea.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    yea same, it seems really cool.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Hello whoppaXXL
    I really like the idea! Doesn't sound like a too big project. Surely somethign that the community could build. Stuff like this would be awesome viral marketing for the game.
    I'm a web application developer doing both backend and frontend stuff. I can't do design though but as far as I see that is not a problem here.
    As the scope and specification of the project are still somewhat vague i can't promise any kind of commitment, but i would like to discuss more about it and see if I can help you with the coding.
    I also have my own web server which should be able to host this service.
  • tritoptritop Join Date: 2011-09-09 Member: 120632Members
    Is anyone still working on this or has it been abandoned? The idea was interesting.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wrote Zeikko already and we'll talk about the coding and layout soon. So, there's hope and progress on the way. We'll see how it turns out.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Since the project is still up and running, I have a question about some of the content.

Have you thought about including *security briefings* (or whatever) on common Frontiersman equipment and Kharaa biotech? The wiki is pretty sparse on information as to how Whips work or what makes a MAC run, and doesn't have a shred of lore about, well, just about anything that I can find.
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    edited November 2011
    if this goes anywhere i would be happy to provide hosting for it, ftp accounts for anyone working on it for my server.

what language is it going to be coded in, guess since it should be quite dynamic JS/ajax with maybe a bit of php, or are you guys thinking of a flash solution.

in the case of codeing it in js/ajax and php, mysql could be used for data storage to simplify things a bit.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I would do it with PHP, jQuery, MySQL.
    I also have server and all the architecture needed.
    Seems like whoppaXXL is not interested in this project anymore though. He's still yet to provide any requirements about the system.
    We'll see if it will lead to anywhere.
  • cmcpasserbycmcpasserby Join Date: 2011-10-09 Member: 126489Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883906:date=Nov 5 2011, 09:58 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Nov 5 2011, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would do it with PHP, jQuery, MySQL.
    I also have server and all the architecture needed.
    Seems like whoppaXXL is not interested in this project anymore though. He's still yet to provide any requirements about the system.
    We'll see if it will lead to anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ya topic was on page 1 don't i didn't relise it was 2 months old. be interesting to see this happen at some point.
    Sorry for posting so late, I was working abroad the last weeks.

Firstly, thanks for the comments - I thought through it and decided to cut the budget - for the better.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since the project is still up and running, I have a question about some of the content.

Have you thought about including *security briefings* (or whatever) on common Frontiersman equipment and Kharaa biotech? The wiki is pretty sparse on information as to how Whips work or what makes a MAC run, and doesn't have a shred of lore about, well, just about anything that I can find.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a good Idea and it's intended. With only the short amount of time I can dedicate to a project like this I choose to take another way of creating this fanfic background project. As soon as there are News I will post them in this Thread.

@cmcpasserby and Zeikko

Thanks at last for your offering though for my part I will not do further stuff as website project. I still want to make something like it so I have to see how my basic input works out and if it'll get a kind of snowball effect. I'll give updates as soon as something is ready, I just have to get the basis out. :)

If anyone should be still interested I'll gladly send the design files.

Thanks.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I'd be happy to provide some video footage and stuff. I'm actually doing a little (I say little, it'll probably take about 8 hours to render this motha' if I don't run out of memory) video that is designed to look as if it was filmed on a security camera.
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I would be happy to do audio logs/Photoshop images. ;)
    wow can't wait to see that zuriki!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884499:date=Nov 9 2011, 11:40 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Nov 9 2011, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wow can't wait to see that zuriki!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's nothing spectacular. Pretty much anyone could do it, I was just getting to grips with Sony Vegas 9, I couldn't get the video to render with motion blur though -- I don't have enough RAM (I'm planning on doubling it now). I'm uploading the video, it should be done in about an hours time. 1080p bro.

It'll be available <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Z7r8RF8Ms" target="_blank">here</a>. Like I said, don't expect anything amazing, it was a short job and most of the time was spent rendering (I did it on 1 core rather than all 4, because I was... busy).
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I'll help out with this project. I can come up with interesting snippets of stories.