Commander view

A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
<div class="IPBDescription">like Supreme Commander</div>I haven't played commander much on NS2, but didn't notice a zoom option.

I'd love to see full zooming like supreme commander.

:)

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    That'd be rendering an entire FPS map at the same time.

Not really practical.

Being able to zoom IN further might be nice, but zooming out more would be a hard on the renderer.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'd rather have a RTS cam instead (Company of Heroes restrictions)
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    This is a lot of work and not something that would be easy to add.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1855218:date=Jun 22 2011, 12:47 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 22 2011, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a lot of work and not something that would be easy to add.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Minimap throwing salt on our snales again, I bet :P
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    Idk, commanders have to move so fast, seeing how irl marines are unpredictable compared to an ai that you control. You have no time to look and stop at the scenery. Someone is gonna need a med pack or demand an RT.
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    edited June 2011
    If I was to wish for anything for comm view, I'd rather have unit outlines.

Because I'm tired of suggesting UWE steal from L4D, I'll suggest they steal from <i>Anomaly: Warzone Earth</i> instead. Simple outlines around marines and aliens would be nice.
    * to avoid color blindness issues, use thematic colors: light blue for marines, yellow for aliens (instead of red and green).

But yes, bonus points if the outline also reflected other information such as:
    * blinking when player is on mic or requesting stuff in the menu
    * red when player is below 50% on ammo or health

This reflects two annoyances I experience as comm:
    * players who never say who or where they are when they ask for stuff
    * how awkward it is to check player health circles
    * that you can't check marine ammo at all
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2011
    Actually the best way to avoid colourblindness issues is to make one colour brighter or darker than the other. We can still see brightness differences, so red and green can still look different if you get the right shades.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd like to see zoom, tilt, and rotate. They don't have to be full spectator versions, but even some limited view perspective changing would greatly enhance map interaction.

The biggest problem with the fixed comm problem is seeing/placing structures/dropping DI around non-square map geometry. The worst parts are towards the bottom (south-side) of the map and rooms. Additionally, I frequently find myself dropping structures/DI on invisible map geometry on the top of rooms because I can't adjust my view angle to see how to avoid them.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->I'd like to be able to use the arrow keys on my keyboard to move the commander camera.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Clicking the minimap can be inaccurate, and pushing the cursor to the edge of the screen doesn't work for me since the resolution doesnt fit my laptop when played in windowed mode, so the cursor can't touch the bottom edge.
    Alongside probably one of the nicest features most RTS have. Click and hold mousebutton to move around in said area (usually middle mouse button). That would be quite awesome indeed :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1855269:date=Jun 21 2011, 10:28 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 21 2011, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->I'd like to be able to use the arrow keys on my keyboard to move the commander camera.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Clicking the minimap can be inaccurate, and pushing the cursor to the edge of the screen doesn't work for me since the resolution doesnt fit my laptop when played in windowed mode, so the cursor can't touch the bottom edge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can use the arrow keys to move the comm view, but you can't rebind them to WASD.

Also, use something like <a href="http://www.grismar.net/shiftwindow/" target="_blank">shiftwindow</a> to adjust the NS2 window to match your screen resolution (it creates the same effect as the windowed, no borders mode for source games). That allows me to scroll by moving my cursor to the bottom of the screen.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    It shouldn't be too much work to make sure the cursor is locked inside the window (In fact, doesn't it already do this? I haven't played commander in a while but I'm fairly sure I was able to scroll without problems). I do however remember the minimap wasn't accurate at all and clicking on it would bring the screen outside the map. Most of those issues are probably fixed by now, but being able to spot and click stuff on the minimap is very important to rts players since it's a lot faster than panning.

Player highlighting and health/request feedback other than circles at their feet would indeed be awesome. I hope they implement something like that as with the low lighting in some areas it can be really hard to see your marines/aliens.

Speaking of the comander view, it would be really neat if you could access it as a spectator. Maybe even with a picture-in-picture fps view of selected players :)
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855297:date=Jun 22 2011, 09:50 AM:name=Agiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Agiel @ Jun 22 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of the comander view, it would be really neat if you could access it as a spectator. Maybe even with a picture-in-picture fps view of selected players :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be sweet, and a way to save the replay of a match and later open it up and look at it from different perspectives.