Sentry Design Discussion

2»

Comments

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited June 2011
    +1 for "3)"
    * <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=113922&view=findpost&p=1855727" target="_blank">here</a> is my idea to ammunition for turrets / and lifespan for hydras!
    and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=113757&view=findpost&p=1855661" target="_blank">here</a> is the whole post, to alter resource mechanic (also mentioned turrets ammo, and WHY!)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of the problems is the current lack of teamplay abilities to take down sentries.

If lerks got their umbra ability back they would be able to help slow the damage intake to aliens in turret infested rooms.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1855384:date=Jun 22 2011, 12:16 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jun 22 2011, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...I would move lerk snipe to the second hive and make it a mutation choice in evolve menu (lower default lerk cost to compensate). ..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not bad idea. lerk snipe will become more powerful once servers are optimized. we will see
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855743:date=Jun 23 2011, 01:47 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 23 2011, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One of the problems is the current lack of teamplay abilities to take down sentries.

If lerks got their umbra ability back they would be able to help slow the damage intake to aliens in turret infested rooms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, this is a big issue for me.

You either have loads of sentries that can be taken down by an individual if they are in the right spot.

Or

You require a set of aliens to combine their abilities to take down a single target.

Because it would require 2 aliens (one of them being a specific class, such as a Gorge that can disable the sentry/structure with a bile bomb) it would balance how effectively it could be worked because it requires certain conditions to work.

It is impossible that it would be any other way without spam becoming the defensive option, and i'd rather see this being implemented as an alternative to the current system.

Personally I like the idea of two different types of sentries.

1. Takes longer to setup, is VERY powerful, but can be disabled by a Gorges guide-able Bile Bomb (round corners).

2. Can be dropped quickly upfront with Marines on the attack, but runs out of ammo. Temporary, like the Hydras.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855880:date=Jun 23 2011, 09:39 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 23 2011, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Takes longer to setup, is VERY powerful, but can be disabled by a Gorges guide-able Bile Bomb (round corners).

2. Can be dropped quickly upfront with Marines on the attack, but runs out of ammo. Temporary, like the Hydras.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Just like the whip and proposed hydra setup. Sounds good to me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1855880:date=Jun 23 2011, 01:39 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 23 2011, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because it would require 2 aliens (one of them being a specific class, such as a Gorge that can disable the sentry/structure with a bile bomb)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i have been waiting for a way to take down turrets.
    its suffering from the same problem as infestation before pustules, yet isn't getting the same amount of attention. even though solving this with something simple like a bile bomb disabling turrets temporarily would solve charlie's concern of marine's turtle behavior.