Emergency Red Lighting Ideas and Discussion

2»

Comments

• thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861125:date=Jul 17 2011, 04:22 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 17 2011, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I posted about this already in another thread, but this keeps coming up, so I will post it again here:

What happened was that a change had been made to try out a desaturated version of the red lighting, because it was thought to be too red. This resulted in a weird pinkish brown lighting, and around the office a majority of us weren't crazy about how this looked, and thought that the saturated red felt more like emergency lighting and more dangerous. This had nothing to do with the cycling of the lights to the full darkness, which we had no problems with.

The changes were reverted to put the old red color back, without realizing that there was also the fading to black that had been put in at one point, as well. Removing the fading was just an unintentional byproduct of putting the red back in, and we should be sorting this out.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can't wait to see what you've come up with
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    I lol'd. What to learn from that? Don't alway think you are the one who is addressed. If they write "everyone" this doesn't necessarily mean "the whole community", it can just mean everyone in the dev team XD.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1861131:date=Jul 16 2011, 11:19 PM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Jul 16 2011, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would someone design a facility to have red emergency lighting? Where did this idea come from?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a design choice for the effect that it has on players, too. At least for me, red lighting can easily convey a sense of emergency or danger. (fires, Hell/demonic/alien a la Doom, or just the knowledge that it's emergency lighting and that the ###### hath hitteth the fan)
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861125:date=Jul 17 2011, 03:22 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 17 2011, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I posted about this already in another thread, but this keeps coming up, so I will post it again here:

What happened was that a change had been made to try out a desaturated version of the red lighting, because it was thought to be too red. This resulted in a weird pinkish brown lighting, and around the office a majority of us weren't crazy about how this looked, and thought that the saturated red felt more like emergency lighting and more dangerous. This had nothing to do with the cycling of the lights to the full darkness, which we had no problems with.

The changes were reverted to put the old red color back, without realizing that there was also the fading to black that had been put in at one point, as well. Removing the fading was just an unintentional byproduct of putting the red back in, and we should be sorting this out.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I apologise for not having seen it elsewhere, and thank you for taking the time to explain it yet again. Makes a lot more sense now!

I don't suppose you feel like giving us a little hint of where you plan on taking the emergency lighting and such? :P
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I'd love to see the emergency power lights run out after a while and go black, the "danger" effect kinda wears off on you after being in it constantly really.
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    Is this still possible, because there are SOOO many files you listed that I can't find :(
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
This discussion has been closed.