Synchronized Game Timer

Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
I think a game timer would be a great addition to the game, especially for commanders who want to be more than silent tech and building machines. With synchronized, I mean that it would be the same for all players and both sides. I guess it would have to be a server-side thing (for late joiners). To me, the two greatest strengths are:

*It would make it much easier to know how your are doing tech/time wise and give you a rough estimate of how the opposing sides tech might(should) look.

*It makes it much easier to coordinate attacks. Imagine being able to say "Gather up at reactor, get weapons and attack at 5.47"

instead of

"Hey, everyone take the PG to reactor and attack when you're all there. No, there's still a few missing! Don't rambo, damnit! ARGH! You all suck! I HATE YOU ALL!" (Slightly dramatized... slightly)

Granted, it might not be a game-changer for pub games (Certainly it would make some difference), but for clan play I think it would make the commander role a more involved and precise one instead of the chaotic thing it is today.

Comments

• Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    +1 dont see how this could be a bad idea
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1 to match clock

This is something that could easily go on the scoreboard. I know NS2HD does this for some of his matches, but I believe he just runs a clock in his video editing software to get the effect.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?! Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    One of the few decent suggestions that grace this forum.
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    edited July 2011
    Was there anything like this in NS1? I only played it briefly a couple of years ago and can't recall. If not, I wonder what the dev's reasons for not including it is/was.

Perhaps adding a timer will make the players feel the game is more hectic and less methodical? I'm sure seeing those numbers counting up has some sort of stressfull mental effect.

Other than that, I can't see any downsides too it. Hell, it doesn't even have to clutter up the UI. Just add it to the map screen or something if that's the issue.

Commanders should, of course, have it in full view at all times.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    +1
    When I join late to a game, its nice to know how long it has been going to get a feel of where we might be at now.
  • inFamous FighterinFamous Fighter Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109262Members
    Wow, this might possibly be the best idea suggested. It should be a console command also, like "allowtime true" to turn it on, and then "time" to just show it in console. This would be for the people who complain about it.
  • nilsnils Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106039Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, this might possibly be the best idea suggested. It should be a console command also, like "allowtime true" to turn it on, and then "time" to just show it in console. This would be for the people who complain about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why do you want to make it so complicated. Just make a clock next to ressources at the command view, and a binding toggle clock for the other players. It would be good for aliens and marines and won´t be any balance problem. It is just a great idea zo make the game mor tacticly ;).
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I would prefer it be on the scoreboard (when you press tab).
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just make a clock next to ressources at the command view, and a binding toggle clock for the other players<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds like the best suggestion for implementation so far to me. Putting it on the scoreboard next to stats, ping etc. would make it seem that it's not essential to the game itself, but more of a.. well.. stat, I suppose. Impression by correlation.

I'm curious as to how much the Devs read this part of the forum. I haven't been part of the beta for long, but I can't recall any suggestion making it into the game proper so far, although that might be due to some sort of programming schedule.

I guess I just really want to see this make it into Ns2!