Machinima Respawn Director

SurelogSurelog Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59498Members
edited July 2011 in NS2 E-Team
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe you guys can help me.</div>Hey guys,

First off I'm a Natural Selection 1 veteran and to this day I consider it possibly one of the greatest games ever. I've been playing since it opened in October 2002 with 500+ pings and only 6 people able to join the server.

When NS 2 came out I jumped at the chance to get into the alpha and so I did.

I am a Director for a youtube channel called Machinima Respawn. They have about 1.5 million subscribers with view counts ranging from 50k to 500k+ views on a single video. I really want to feature some game play of Natural Selection 2. Here is the deal however.
NSHD's Channel is amazing, wonderful and awesome for the community it has on NS2. However it's mostly limited to the already established NS2 community. Respawn is a community of FPS games all around, 90% of these being battlefield and Black Ops with a very very wide audience.

So I'll get to the point. I just started playing NS2 again, and I want to commentate a video for it so others can really get a grasp of the game. The game has come really far since alpha! The first video I put out may be the most important one as it's going to be what really gets people clinging to the game and my video content. I was wondering if you the community could help me a Noob to the game (But recently I've been playing every day again and learning, Love the Chicago servers!). Here is what I am going to ask of you.

First, I wanted to know what are some of the biggest key points you guys think I need to bring to the table. I find NS2 in some ways difficult to explain at times because of it's incredible innovation and complexities it brings FPS's unlike any other. I got the NS2 Wiki up, I'm reading up on everything really trying to find the best way to get viewers to grasp the game without losing interest in complexities it may bring. Also I just wanted to genuine suggestions from you guys. Also my video skills are limited, and if anyone has any abilities to make a great NS2 quality opening for the video that would be great. I honestly only want to do this because I want to bring more people to the game, I want NS2 to continue to strive forward in it's awesome game play and community. Finally Machinima Directors are paid for their videos, any money I make off the of Machinima Respawn videos for NS2 I will put directly back into the NS2 Dev's hands, to continue their awesome game (Though it probably won't be too much, depending on views).

Anyway, I hope you guys don't take my request as being arrogant. I do not consider myself an incredible FPS pro, but I do really love this game and can't wait to see it burst out more and to a broader community. Please let me know what you think, if you can help, and any advice you might have.

tl;dr
I'm a machinima respawn director with not too much experience i NS2, I want to do quality NS2 videos to help promote the amazing game and will donate any money made from the videos back to the NS2 Team. I need your help, suggestions, and insight.

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I would first drop 2 or 3 "teaser" videos and then one giving a more full view about NS2.

for example:
    Teaser 1: fade reveal:

<a href="http://youtu.be/U98Tbr5P2bs" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/U98Tbr5P2bs</a>

Teaser 2: Beta 178 teaser: (it's already outdated, but still, there's some pretty sweet footage in it)

<a href="http://youtu.be/wOdgKTLuroE" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/wOdgKTLuroE</a>

And after the teasers a short review, let's say 15 minutes of highlighting different aspects of the game, narrated by NS2HD :p

just some stuff to highlight:

RTS/FPS mix: Commanders, resources
    Buying weapons at the armory
    Alien classes
    Marines assaulting a hive with ARC's
    Lerk flyby's
    Marines getting slaughtered by a fade
    Gorge planting some hydras
  • SurelogSurelog Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59498Members
    I am unsure that I'll be able to use any of the teaser stuff, most likely I will not. I will have to commentate the video also unfortunately but I'm a good commentator, I've been doing it for other games here for awhile now, and when I do a scripted commentary I do especially well.

I think my plans right now are going to be find a way to best describe the game using in game footage I recorded. From the top of your list as you have it, but with more detail obviously.

I am also limited on my time I can make the video. It can't be much longer than 10 minutes.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    You should highlight:
    RTS/FPS hybrid (so spend some time as a commander as well, and explain how what the commander does affects the team)
    Asymmetrical teams (marines vs kharaa)
    Tools included (check the launch pad, focus on the spark map editor as many ppl like mapping)
    NS1 (just mention it a bit so people can check it out to see how well the gameplay works out once polished)
    Other stuff

Don't forget that you can use the cinematic editor to get nice cinematic scenes (the reveal videos was made in it)
    Thanks for the tip on the cinematic editor!
    I will actually do some of the commander point of view stuff in a lan server using the cheats 1 code to get that going as wel.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Might want to try that on a closed server with real people though. I mean NS2 is FPS/RTS with real people, you know it's kinda the big selling point alongside the asymmetrical (melee vs ranged) combat ;)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Surelog this is incredibly exciting! Machinima is a huge inspiration for me with my tiny little channel. it's an honour to be talking to you on the NS2 forums. I feel like a tiny little fish who has just met a blue whale in the game casting ocean.

If there is anything at all I can do to help, please let me know. My modest recording and casting skills (though paling in comparison to yours!) are at your service.

It is really wonderful that you are devoting some of your time and resources to promoting NS2.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Wow this is really cool! So glad you are willing to help out :)

One thing to keep in mind however is that the game is still very much in beta, and has a few lag problems. This could be a big turn-off if it isn't presented delicately to your very large audience. You should definently get in touch with the developers and NS2HD!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Can we haz link to channel where this awesomeness will take place?
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865114:date=Jul 31 2011, 12:47 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Jul 31 2011, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Surelog this is incredibly exciting! Machinima is a huge inspiration for me with my tiny little channel. it's an honour to be talking to you on the NS2 forums. I feel like a tiny little fish who has just met a blue whale in the game casting ocean.

If there is anything at all I can do to help, please let me know. My modest recording and casting skills (though paling in comparison to yours!) are at your service.

It is really wonderful that you are devoting some of your time and resources to promoting NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just want to say I really enjoy your channel and you're doing a really great job commentating NS2 gameplay as well as it's continuous build progress. I'm positive that once NS2 becomes full retail that your channel will be the flag ship for youtube commentators. You do a much better job than myself at commentating NS2 Gameplay and are way more professional (I'm typically known for my humor, No really).

Anyway I'll contact you on youtube, and see if we can't work together a little bit. I won't be able to promote your channel through Machinima, but I can promote it through my own channel. Once I release a decent NS2 video to Machinima, those hits will be coming to my channel, and I'll be redirecting those hits to you for sure.
    <!--quoteo(post=1865116:date=Jul 31 2011, 12:48 PM:name=TempesT487)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TempesT487 @ Jul 31 2011, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow this is really cool! So glad you are willing to help out :)

One thing to keep in mind however is that the game is still very much in beta, and has a few lag problems. This could be a big turn-off if it isn't presented delicately to your very large audience. You should definently get in touch with the developers and NS2HD!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figured this is the true Developer's forum for the subject of promoting and what not. If they read this post and decide that I'm indeed worth their valuable time I'm sure they'll give me something to work with. You're absolutely right on the way it must be presented but I think it's fair to say that while the game is still in Beta, it's quite different and innovative to any other game out there and would still spark major interest.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's very kind of you Surelog. Looking forward to it!
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    IF you guys ever do create a machinma i'd love to be part of it. Count me in!
    edited August 2011
    The Machinima Respawn channel is focused on gameplay commentaries right now, but a true machinima would be awesome indeed!
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    Make sure that they get too know that this is an actual BETA. Unlike GOW 3, Halo reach and soo on...and also that UWE is an indie company. I don't want all youtube comments to be all like:

xxXSn1p3z1337Sh0TXxx: The marines needs more weapons and i think Perks would fit great in this game ... like in COD
    Sm0k3W33d4l1f3: You mean Terran and zerg? And were are the Protos!?
    Assassinninja217: WOW horible and sheep infestation texture and the animations are soo twitchy
    N00bk1ll3r: I would rather slurp diarea from a buffalos #### then playing this game!
    Thumbs upp!

You know what I'm talking about. Just give a good impression and make them remember that this is an early BETA/late ALPHA game. I know you can't stop them from commentating but still try too make a tatto in their brain.
    (pretty mutch what everybody have told you already)
    And good luck! :D

PS: excuse my fast type english and my harch expressions ;)
    You can't control YT comments though :P
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    indeed. Controlling comments is a negative thing.