Jetpack/Lerk Flight

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
edited August 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
What are the current control scheme possibilities?

I'd like a system where space bar is for elevation, if you hold shift while airborne you hover at that height, and movement keys move you in that direction. This doesn't address swoop functionality for lerk though. How would you guys like to control flight?

EDIT: Not sure if it's needed, but could also have ctrl while airborne provide a landing/lowering functionality as well, more energy efficient and you won't hurt yourself by accidentally falling too far.

Comments

• SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    lerk i like how twiliteblue did in his mod, and JP: just like it was in ns1. or maybe like in GlobalAgenda, if you know that game (could be that with little bit less of air control)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hi there.

In the Lerk mod I made, you can maintain elevation by simply holding Jump, and keep your vertical angle level or slightly downward. Swooping is as simple as holding both Jump and Forward (and look in the desired swoop direction).

As for the Jetpack, I imagine it would lower the pilot down slowly, unless it is out of fuel. Holding Jump would lift the JP up, while holding Crouch lowers the JP to the ground. The Jetpack's default mode in the air would be maintain hover, until its fuel is exhausted.
    WASD keys can control the JP similar to how swimming is controlled in most games.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    I wish they would put something like this into the game, I can't stand the current lerk flight mode, I prefered the previous one, I find it hard to get around, you have to choose between going up or down or forward or back, you can't do both which you should be able to.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866896:date=Aug 6 2011, 06:15 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 6 2011, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi there.

In the Lerk mod I made, you can maintain elevation by simply holding Jump, and keep your vertical angle level or slightly downward. Swooping is as simple as holding both Jump and Forward (and look in the desired swoop direction).

As for the Jetpack, I imagine it would lower the pilot down slowly, unless it is out of fuel. Holding Jump would lift the JP up, while holding Crouch lowers the JP to the ground. The Jetpack's default mode in the air would be maintain hover, until its fuel is exhausted.
    WASD keys can control the JP similar to how swimming is controlled in most games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From what I see in your script, it seems like if I wanted to just fly forward while shooting/gassing people, I can't do that? Your scheme only allows gliding forward? Also your script requires tapping of the space key to elevate I think? I personally think just holding the key should elevate you.

Maybe I'll take a look and your script and try and implement my own scheme, could you help me with that?

(Would your script allow me to fly around at a certain height and aim freely without affecting my elevation?)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1866967:date=Aug 6 2011, 09:18 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 6 2011, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From what I see in your script, it seems like if I wanted to just fly forward while shooting/gassing people, I can't do that? Your scheme only allows gliding forward? Also your script requires tapping of the space key to elevate I think? I personally think just holding the key should elevate you.

Maybe I'll take a look and your script and try and implement my own scheme, could you help me with that?

(Would your script allow me to fly around at a certain height and aim freely without affecting my elevation?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Try holding Jump (Space) only. Looking up should let you glide upward with or without the Forward key.
    <!--quoteo(post=1867095:date=Aug 6 2011, 11:37 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 6 2011, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try holding Jump (Space) only. Looking up should let you glide upward with or without the Forward key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly.

I don't think you've given my control scheme any real consideration. It allows full movement at any elevation while shooting freely. This is something required of the end lerk flight build.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867097:date=Aug 6 2011, 07:53 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 6 2011, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exactly.

I don't think you've given my control scheme any real consideration. It allows full movement at any elevation while shooting freely. This is something required of the end lerk flight build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Feel free to modify the flight controls as you see fit. I'm sure you'll love the control scheme in v1.9.9 once you get used to it. :D
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    How about making glide a sort of "cruise-control". Locking your direction and speed.
    This would make it possible to aim your spikes while keeping your direction. But only make it so you can aim at stuff in your field of view. we don't want a flying turret.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867155:date=Aug 7 2011, 03:51 AM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Aug 7 2011, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about making glide a sort of "cruise-control". Locking your direction and speed.
    This would make it possible to aim your spikes while keeping your direction. But only make it so you can aim at stuff in your field of view. we don't want a flying turret.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I implemented that and tested it a while ago. The trouble is, it becomes difficult to keep track of your movement direction. Because ns2_rockdown was the main map being played at the time, I found the feature almost useless, as flying straight makes the Lerk bumping into walls and ceilings every few seconds.
    But I'll try that again (build 183 broke my old versions) when I have the time.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867125:date=Aug 7 2011, 03:55 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 7 2011, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Feel free to modify the flight controls as you see fit. I'm sure you'll love the control scheme in v1.9.9 once you get used to it. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did download your lerk mod and I am looking into learning LUA so I can make my own version. LUA = OO? I'm getting flashbacks to my smalltalk days.

Conceptually I think I've made my scheme better now. Imagine flying <i>exactly how you want</i>, but retaining <u>full mouse control</u> to aim as you please while doing <b>any aerial maneuvering you wish</b>.

Basically to do this, lerk flight requires you to do one of three things:
    <ol type='1'><li>Hold Spacebar</li><li>Hold Shift</li><li>Hold Ctrl</li></ol>

Spacebar -> when held initially starts the flight process, and while held flaps you upwards. Can be used with movement keys.
    <ul><li><i>**Allows for full mouse look without affecting fight.</i></li></ul>
    Shift -> when held (and in flight) holds lerk at current elevation hovering (imagine skating in mid-air, but with movement constraints on backwards and possibly side movements). Can be used with movement keys.
    Ctrl -> when held (and in flight) lowers lerk elevation (opposite of spacebar). Can be used with sideways and backwards movement, holding forward enables gliding mode.
    Ctrl + forward movement key -> when held (and in flight) makes lerk glide in direction of mouse look. Can be used for swooping, to gain speed, lose speed, etc.

As we can see, what does this scheme have in common amongst it's 3 movement modes? The ability to free aim! Which of course is absolutely essential to the end lerk flight build we will all know and love.

Also this scheme can be applied to marine jetpack as well, but without glide functionality!

<b>Full and intuitive flight for jetpack and lerk can be done!</b>
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i like the current flight model from twiliteblue more. well, to be fair: i could not try yours, since nobody implemented it. but just judging it from reading, it sounds overcomplicated, and not very intuitive. uwe tried at first making a flight model which allows you to aim freely and move freely. it was not complete, but it already shown how much problems people have to understand it and use it.

and having a few restrictions in a flight model, other than that your CTRL or Spacebar is broken, is just fair. You cannot assume perfect aim from the marines, and also having the lerk behave in specific flight patterns can be seen as a factor to balance the lerk.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867193:date=Aug 7 2011, 07:25 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 7 2011, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did download your lerk mod and I am looking into learning LUA so I can make my own version. LUA = OO? I'm getting flashbacks to my smalltalk days.

Conceptually I think I've made my scheme better now. Imagine flying <i>exactly how you want</i>, but retaining <u>full mouse control</u> to aim as you please while doing <b>any aerial maneuvering you wish</b>.

Basically to do this, lerk flight requires you to do one of three things:
    <ol type='1'><li>Hold Spacebar</li><li>Hold Shift</li><li>Hold Ctrl</li></ol>

Spacebar -> when held initially starts the flight process, and while held flaps you upwards. Can be used with movement keys.
    Shift -> when held (and in flight) holds lerk at current elevation hovering (imagine skating in mid-air, but with movement constraints on backwards and possibly side movements). Can be used with movement keys.
    Ctrl -> when held (and in flight) lowers lerk elevation (opposite of spacebar). Can be used with sideways and backwards movement, holding forward enables gliding mode.
    Ctrl + forward movement key -> when held (and in flight) makes lerk glide in direction of mouse look. Can be used for swooping, to gain speed, lose speed, etc.

As we can see, what does this scheme have in common amongst it's 3 movement modes? The ability to free aim! Which of course is absolutely essential to the end lerk flight build we will all know and love.

Also this scheme can be applied to marine jetpack as well, but without glide functionality!

<b>Full and intuitive flight for jetpack and lerk can be done!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your control scheme is very close to the one I envisioned for the Jetpack, with the exception of Ctrl modifying height, as Marines need to be able to use it to crouch (to enter vents).

Allowing free aim while the Lerk is flying sounds good in theory, but in practice, the Lerk needs to change direction every second to stay alive. Using my scheme, you can still strafe with the A and D keys while using mouse to aim, which IMO, offers a reasonable amount of shooting accuracy as well as movement control. Even if the Lerk is doing a fly-by without worrying about getting hit, the typical NS2 map (being small indoor environments) will have plenty of obstacles that require the Lerk to change altitude and direction every few seconds.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    edited August 2011
    I actually like the current lerk flight. if they add so that you don't crash to the ground after a dive in glide mode (try making a big swoop at crevice), and add so that A/D/S + space strafe without loosing altitude, then it's almost perfect.
    Maybe we all just have our own ideal control scheme.

The lerk flight script just looks like a convoluted mess. No real commenting explaining functionality, or the control scheme process. Sucks, high level OO languages just are not my thing.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Not sure whats wrong with classic jetpack/lerk controls. I never had any complaints.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    Oh god please don't change the lerk flight mechanics. I think they are perfect as is :)