Honest Question

CEldinCEldin Join Date: 2002-09-16 Member: 1323Members
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">To Pre-order or Not To Pre-order</div>I have played NS since it's launch, Halloween night, and I'm wondering if it's really worth throwing down for the pre-order/beta. I would only pre-order to get the beta but I don't want to be turned off the game. How playable is it? I understand balance might be off but is it still fun? Are there constant games on the servers? Or is it usually organized times for 'playtests.' I know I'm going to get the game eventually but I know if I pre-order I won't be able to resist the beta - if the beta sucks I'll be really turned off.

So help me out guys. PM for more minute details, I'd appreciate the help. It's been a while since I've been on this site, but I've been a member for about 9 years now haha.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have played NS since it's launch, Halloween night, and I'm wondering if it's really worth throwing down for the pre-order/beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're looking for a silky smooth, and feature complete finished product, hold off for a few more months at least. If you're willing to tolerate beta software that can be laggy\annoying at times, then do purchase it. Overall the game is perfectly playable, and i'm able to hop on many servers in NA everyday that are fully populated (esp the anagram servers) and have good games. I played NS1 for years and I find it pretty fun to play, even in beta.
  • nilsnils Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106039Members
    I like Thema Beta. I have bought it 2 months ago, And play it very often. It has some bugs, And missing Features but it is playable. The most disturbing thing is the lag, but it gets better every patch. I would buy it again.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    If you expect to get a complete game right now, then no, it's not worth it. However, if like me, you're confident that the game will end up great, then you should definitely get the pre-order.

I myself cannot play correctly, so I play a half hour every so often to see the progress. I suck terribly, because I'm living a slide show and therefore can't aim. But the atmosphere already has that wow-factor. I'm currently mostly getting my fix with NS2HD's YouTube.
    However it seems people already get that play factor, as might prove the competitive games you can see on said NS2HD.

Just consider it as a taste of the things to come. I figure, I'm going to be spending the money anyway, might just as well do it now and give myself the opportunity to jump ingame if I feel like it. However that might not be best advice if your budget is $35 tight.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Its fun in its current state, just make sure that you have a very beefy computer, the game is highly unoptimized.
  • PawndemoniumPawndemonium Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72725Members
    edited August 2011
    Depends what you expect.
    In it's current state NS2 is far from being done, and I'd even go so far to state that it's not worth the bucks to just play the beta, you'll most likely just be disappointed.
    However, that doesn't mean it won't be in the future, so if you know that NS2 will be great in its finished form, as you've enjoyed NS1 in all its glory, you'll be set, and on top of that can rage over its current state.
    Thing is, at the moment nothing is finished, as it's a beta (but seriously, it's more of an alpha... =p), so don't expect any balancing, optimization or pretty graphics.
    What you get is a solid vision what to expect, the frame pretty much is there, and NS2 will definitely happen, the devs can be taken serious, as things get worked on, just don't expect to have a lot of fun just because of the early access alone. ;]

Disclaimer: He asked a honest question, I gave him a honest opinion, I'm not an ambassador.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited August 2011
    Despite being a beta this game has easily justified the $40 I threw down to pre-order it. Even in it's current state it's more fun than games like Homefront, MoH, Bullet Storm, etc. You're money will not be wasted.
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    Step 1) Go to YouTube

Step 2) Search for NS2HD

Step 3) Watch some of his recent videos

Step 4) Decide this looks freaking awesome

Step 5) Pre-Order and enjoy!
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Reading your post, it sounds like you are ready to buy the game and play it. You seem to have realistic expectations, but the question which was not answered it what are your hardware specs? (actually what is your CPU and what is its speed).
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Well, did you plan on buying the game when its finished?
    In that case you could just as well buy it now - its the same money anyway, and if you dont like the beta in its current state just wait a few patches and try again (or just put it on the shelf until release).

Its not like you have anything to lose if you're already set on buying it later on.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    In its current state the game is demanding in system requirements, has various issues with stability and performance, gameplay has issues with balance and can be frustrating and the game is lacking some key features for late gameplay.
    NS 2 also currently lacks in map variety and it can be difficult to get a game going as servers and the playerbase isnt all that large yet ( this is area dependant, in the UK I found it hard to get on a good server with a decent number of players supported, and keep a good tick rate ).

On the other hand the game has shown dramatic improvement as development continues, it has shown great promise and is poised to be a game that is a worthy successor to NS1 in many ways. There is fun to be had in the current build but the best part of being in the beta is seeing the glimmers of potential shining in each new build.

To answer the question directly : If you seek a game to play, wait ( or buy the game to support the devs but dont play it yet ). If you want to see the potential the game has and are prepared to put up with the development pains, then by all means buy and join us.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2011
    You'll probably be turned off, the beta isn't very good.

<!--quoteo(post=1870659:date=Aug 23 2011, 06:14 AM:name=Topper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Topper @ Aug 23 2011, 06:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Step 1) Go to YouTube

Step 2) Search for NS2HD

Step 3) Watch some of his recent videos

Step 4) Decide this looks freaking awesome

Step 5) Pre-Order and enjoy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That isn't indicative of the way the game works for everyone, you might get something that looks as good as the rather selective footage on NS2HD, or you might get an unplayable buggy mess that hardly works.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Notably it's not feature complete as most betas are assumed to be. Also, looks like the Lua implementation is very heavy on your CPU, so I wouldn't recommend preordering at this point if your hardware is outdated to some extend and you're expecting a playable experience.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    What everyone else said.

If you want a polished/finished product, wait until release or at least later in the beta.

If you have a modern computer and want to have fun with an unfinished game (Late game tech isn't in the game yet, nor are 3D dynamic infestation / atmospheric lighting), buy it asap.

Watch NS2HDs videos if you want an idea of what gameplay is like atm.
    <!--quoteo(post=1870767:date=Aug 23 2011, 08:11 PM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Aug 23 2011, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watch NS2HDs videos if you want an idea of what gameplay is like atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On a good server, with a PC that runs the game particularly well, with all the boring bits cut out.

NS2HD is a highlight reel, not indicative of what playing the game is like.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870820:date=Aug 24 2011, 01:35 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 24 2011, 01:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a good server, with a PC that runs the game particularly well, with all the boring bits cut out.

NS2HD is a highlight reel, not indicative of what playing the game is like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2HD shows plenty of straight gameplay with "boring" parts like building, dying, bugs and traveling through the level.

Good servers have not been hard to find for me lately. Anagram's chicago servers are particularly good for me.

You do need a pretty beefy PC (and a little luck) for it to run smoothly, though.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    Honestly ? ... I buy NS2 SE as quick as it was available on web site.
    Why ? ... because I want to express my gratitude and thanks to the developers of NS1 (which was for free) for hours of great times when I enjoy the game.

Once the game will be optimized enough to run smoothly on middle-end machines I'll buy another copy for my brother (as we both can play now only on my wife's machine).
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870823:date=Aug 24 2011, 02:12 AM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Aug 24 2011, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2HD shows plenty of straight gameplay with "boring" parts like building, dying, bugs and traveling through the level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How many hour long stalemates has he uploaded? NS2HD has always tried to record the cool stuff, which is completely fine. However, describing it as a complete picture of the game isn't right.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1870820:date=Aug 24 2011, 11:35 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 24 2011, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a good server, with a PC that runs the game particularly well, with all the boring bits cut out.

NS2HD is a highlight reel, not indicative of what playing the game is like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This may have been true earlier in the beta, but these days he has less time and actually brings about 80% or more of the content he plays to youtube. His specs are also listed on the channel.
  • Spritz2k11Spritz2k11 Join Date: 2011-01-23 Member: 78679Members
    I don't know how NS2HD does it, but since his very first vids NS2 seems to be running silky smooth, while 95% of the people don't even get half of his experience.
  • chopperchopper Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67537Members
    Pre-ordered the game more than 2 years ago.

Played only a few hours (not really playable for me yet).

Very disappointed.

I consider my cash a donation for NS1. Don't have many hopes for NS2.

If you're on the fence the safe way is to wait. This is a high risk purchase.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1870931:date=Aug 24 2011, 11:12 AM:name=chopper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chopper @ Aug 24 2011, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't have many hopes for NS2.

If you're on the fence the safe way is to wait. This is a high risk purchase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Buying shares is a high risk purchase but that's just a game for only 35$.
    I really don't think NS2 will flop. For me it's already much fun playing it and it just getting better with every Build :)
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    To be honest this game even in its beta has already flogged some of the newer released games and I'm glad I bought it, to agree with Peter above it is getting better every patch
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870912:date=Aug 24 2011, 03:12 PM:name=Spritz2k11)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spritz2k11 @ Aug 24 2011, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how NS2HD does it, but since his very first vids NS2 seems to be running silky smooth, while 95% of the people don't even get half of his experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm somewhat confused at the fact that I could run the game quite acceptable to fairly playable on my ancient rig from the alpha and so on, while rigs that run my entire system on one of their memory modules, so to speak, can't even boot up tram or run at 10-15+ FPS for example...
    Probably hardware incompatibility, it's quite a lot of work to get everything running the same on all types of hardware.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    That’s like deciding on whether or not to ask someone for a date now or waiting for her boobs to get bigger. It’s worth it even in its present condition. By waiting you miss out on a lot of fun and almost great gaming.
    <!--quoteo(post=1871578:date=Aug 28 2011, 12:13 AM:name=1stToast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1stToast @ Aug 28 2011, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That’s like deciding on whether or not to ask someone for a date now or waiting for her boobs to get bigger. It’s worth it even in its present condition. By waiting you miss out on a lot of fun and almost great gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or alternatively you miss out on a lot of terrible patches and stupid bugs, depending on who you ask.