Better spectator support to improve game publicity?

s0ks0k Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70473Members
The coverage the game gets through kind folks like NS2HD is lovely, but I can't help but think that this colossal level of coverage could only be helped, and the overall publicity of the game, by having a smoother spectating experience. Literally. My biggest gripe is how jerky the camera is. There's no flow to it.

I think, in most cases, such a request would unnecessary, but this game is strongly held on the shoulders of its community, and as such, I feel it would be important for both the community and those who cover the game if spectator-ship received some improvements, if only minor.

Maybe unnecessary to request, but this has been eating at me for a few months now. I always check out NS2HD, and I just feel the experience, and the coverage for the game, could be so much more approachable if the tools were a little smoother and a little more intuitive. I feel it should be a priority because it would help bring more people to the game.

*shrug*

My 2 cents on a minor, but arguably important topic.

Cheers!

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I can see your point. Spectator friction is currently too low (they don't slow down fast enough and slide around). There is also no quick way to switch to the view of a specific player. First person view is also not available.

Those features would make watching and casting NS2 games a lot more enjoyable.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    and don't forget the record/playback functionality ^^ not just for making videos from different perspectives, I also enjoy watching intense tournament records by myself right over the engine.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    This is a task thats already planned by the developers.
    But it is not a very high priority, they said that it would be a post v1.0 feature.
    I just hope that they will do it <b>before</b> v1.0, because as you said it improves publicity alot. And I'm waiting to begin making some NS2 Fragmovies. :P
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you are a spectator, each room/corridor should have within it a camera 'point' with the best angle of view for that area.

Then, when NS2HD/people want to view the action (for instance) in heliport. All they have to do is click on that section of the minimap, and you are instantly transported to that 'perfect' view spot which you can then choose to move from.

That way you can have a smooth recording/viewing experience. Without having to move through the level clumsily in freelook and then hunt down a good angle to watch the action from.

It should be called 'Room View' or something.