Remove Alien Commander

konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Simplify the game</div>It's simple really. It's KISS. It's also tried and works in NS1. Remove the alien commander. Re-integrate an upgrade system through the gorge. The reason you play aliens is to play something different.

It's also hard enough to find one good commander for the marines, let alone one good commander for the aliens too.

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874164:date=Sep 11 2011, 08:29 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 11 2011, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's simple really. It's KISS. It's also tried and works in NS1. Remove the alien commander. Re-integrate an upgrade system through the gorge. The reason you play aliens is to play something different.

It's also hard enough to find one good commander for the marines, let alone one good commander for the aliens too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has been discussed to death already. I agree that the alien commander is not needed but it seems it is here to stay.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I like the alien commander, it was one of those features I already wanted to see in ns1.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    edited September 2011
    So much work has gone into implementing the alien commander it would be a shame to throw all that work today. The alien commander is here to stay in vanilla NS2, and it still has plenty of potential, and in the end if you still don't like the alien commander just play the NS1 with better graphics mod for NS2 that will inevitably come out soon after v1.0 comes out, hell maybe even before, just when all the game assets are done.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    edited September 2011
    I'm inclined to agree with the removal of the alien-commander. I suppose we can't yet make definitive judgement on that until the game is feature-complete, but so far it just hasn't impressed me at all, which is a very bad thing given that it removed something I did love from NS1, wonderful wonderful asymmetry. Sure aliens were sometimes clumsy due to lack of direction, but when things did come together it was a pretty damn good experience.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Except the gorge building everything wasn't simple. It was confusing and complex. A comm dealing with most of the structures is much more straight forward.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ohlookit'sthisthreadagain.jpg<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 had quite the learning curve.
    The Gorge and his abilities were confusing as hell.

With an Alien comm we are simplifying the Gorge's role, thus simplifying the game.
    The only problem is we are less inclined to choose him.
  • LeegionLeegion Join Date: 2011-08-22 Member: 117882Members
    I think if the Gorge had a bigger selection of chambers he could build, it wouldn't be a huge issue, like once a hive has a chamber, the Gorge could drop a mini crag or mini shade - chambers which do like half the effect of the normal ones. The one thing which I hate about going Gorge is trying to get the comm to send out drifters to build a couple of crags so you can heal faster and get back in to the fight, and by the time drifters are made, sent across to the other side of the map and constructed, its too late.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874279:date=Sep 12 2011, 06:43 AM:name=Leegion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Leegion @ Sep 12 2011, 06:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think if the Gorge had a bigger selection of chambers he could build, it wouldn't be a huge issue, like once a hive has a chamber, the Gorge could drop a mini crag or mini shade - chambers which do like half the effect of the normal ones. The one thing which I hate about going Gorge is trying to get the comm to send out drifters to build a couple of crags so you can heal faster and get back in to the fight, and by the time drifters are made, sent across to the other side of the map and constructed, its too late.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 to Gorge building mini crags/whips.
    -1 to no alien com.

Also, placing RTs as a alien com can sometimes be a chore.
    Yesterday a Gorge placed a cyst on top of an RT node. This in turn nullified that node and made it impossible to place an RT there.
    There needs to be a way for the alien com to destroy or nudge a cyst to the side so that RT placement is possible.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm a NS1 vet. I really enjoy alien commander and I think it's a really good learning position before you learn marine commander as it's a bit simpler but introduces the RTS concept very well.

On the other hand, I do not like the 'multiple commander' idea in the game. It just does not work IMHO. I;ve never seen a single game of NS2 where 2 people have commanded, because 1) Takes up player slot that could be used to fight and 2) Commanders are fighting for the same resources, and almost always have a different plan/idea than the other commander.

I love Alien comm. I love Marine comm. I think it makes NS2 different to NS1 in a good way. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1874291:date=Sep 12 2011, 03:43 PM:name=Nixxen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nixxen @ Sep 12 2011, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 to Gorge building mini crags/whips.
    -1 to no alien com.

Yesterday a Gorge placed a cyst on top of an RT node. This in turn nullified that node and made it impossible to place an RT there.
    There needs to be a way for the alien com to destroy or nudge a cyst to the side so that RT placement is possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha can you imagine if they added the uproot feature to cysts, they pop up and have little legs and can walk around. Many lols would ensure. Glad you agree with the mini-chamber concept :) It could be awesome I think, would create a plethora of new tactics for aliens.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874291:date=Sep 12 2011, 02:43 AM:name=Nixxen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nixxen @ Sep 12 2011, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 to Gorge building mini crags/whips.
    -1 to no alien com.

There needs to be a way for the alien com to destroy or nudge a cyst to the side so that RT placement is possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For TL;DR:
    +1 to Gorge building mini crags/whips.
    -1 to no alien com.

Mini crags/whips did cross my mind, and I like the idea. I don't see them getting spammed because they cost the gorge pres, they allow aliens to heal up a little bit after getting banged up just so they can go back and harass, and since it takes up pres it would cut down on any hydra spam (though GL kinda does that already). I think there should still be an alien comm who makes the larger tacical decisions of the game. It is easier to keep the team organized with someone who has a top-down view of what is going on, and it is easier to have that person build the more major structures such as hives, RTs, and shades. The cyst/mini-cyst system seems to do a good job of keeping the gorge and the comm working together, it would be cool to have the mini crags set up as a temporary defense, the area becomes secured so the gorge asks for a shade to be placed nearby, and maybe even alien comm can upgrade the mini crag to a full crag, then mature crag. With this system gorges can become more useful in base defense, but not exactly more necessary, and it retains the team-built structures atmosphere that NS1 had while providing the organization of the commander system in NS2.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874326:date=Sep 12 2011, 12:41 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Sep 12 2011, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the other hand, I do not like the 'multiple commander' idea in the game. It just does not work IMHO. I;ve never seen a single game of NS2 where 2 people have commanded, because 1) Takes up player slot that could be used to fight and 2) Commanders are fighting for the same resources, and almost always have a different plan/idea than the other commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should try playing on wonga with Teflon. He's the backseat commander that tells the commander what to do as he runs around. It's almost like there are 2 comms in NS then.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    1) Keep Alien Comm
    2) Give Gorge More Abilities
    <!--quoteo(post=1874361:date=Sep 13 2011, 12:00 AM:name=Steinhauer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steinhauer @ Sep 13 2011, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cyst/mini-cyst system seems to do a good job of keeping the gorge and the comm working together, it would be cool to have the mini crags set up as a temporary defense, the area becomes secured so the gorge asks for a shade to be placed nearby, and maybe even alien comm can upgrade the mini crag to a full crag, then mature crag. With this system gorges can become more useful in base defense, but not exactly more necessary, and it retains the team-built structures atmosphere that NS1 had while providing the organization of the commander system in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is an epic idea... the 3 tier upgrade concept would work really well I think, gives the little gorges some respect back :P
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114617" target="_blank">We already have a thread for the mini-chambers idea</a>
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ..and the mini-chambers are in the PT-mod, go check it out.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove Alien Commander,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No.
    Just to recapp. NS1 was only balanced in a 6vs6 game.
    with less playe4rs (5v5) the aliens were in favor, with more players (7v7) the marines were.
    The alien commander is the result of balancing the game from 4vs4 up to 16 vs 16 players (afaik uwe intends to have a maximum of 32 players on a server)

The alien commander is here to stay
    .... and it is my favorite alien "class" ;-)
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    edited September 2011
    We could just rename “alien commander” to “hive mind” and our problems are solved.

*Edit*
    To be more specific I mean that voice from back in NS1 that said "cleanse the intruders,” “we need builders,” “now we dance,” ect.

I don’t think that voice was ever given a name, but its role was seemed similar to be that of a commander.
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    simplifying the game is stupid. im all for removing the alien commander.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874501:date=Sep 13 2011, 08:52 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Sep 13 2011, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to recapp. NS1 was only balanced in a 6vs6 game.
    with less players (5v5) the aliens were in favor, with more players (7v7) the marines were.
    The alien commander is the result of balancing the game from 4vs4 up to 16 vs 16 players (afaik uwe intends to have a maximum of 32 players on a server)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^This
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874501:date=Sep 13 2011, 08:52 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Sep 13 2011, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.
    Just to recapp. NS1 was only balanced in a 6vs6 game.
    with less playe4rs (5v5) the aliens were in favor, with more players (7v7) the marines were.
    The alien commander is the result of balancing the game from 4vs4 up to 16 vs 16 players (afaik uwe intends to have a maximum of 32 players on a server)

The alien commander is here to stay
    .... and it is my favorite alien "class" ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They gave the balance as the reasoning first. However, now they're apparently implementing increased strategical capacity for multiple commanders and squads (possibly with bonuses) that require large playercount to get things started. So, unless they make some big time changes you can forget the 4 vs 4 balance. I'd say reaching a good balance would probably be easier with NS1 system and some weights being added to alien res flow than it is with the planned NS2 gameplay features.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I think the problem with alien commander, is that compared to marine commanding... ALIEN commanding seems so... ALIEN LOL. I couldn't help myself there. Anyway, I personally avoid alien commander, I don't know why, I'm sure it's not as complex as I think it is... Both commanders need some sort of official/formal objective system.

Objective system:
    a list of objectives in order of priority decided upon by the commander and the rest of the team.

What's it for? gives the commander and team a game plan they can focus on rather than having newbies not knowing what todo.

So a newbie commander can see the objective list and go... OH, WE NEED A CRAG. and then proceed to place a crag... or find out how to place a crag.
    and an experienced commander can go, placed crag, ok aliens, go take data core,we're building a hive. BAM NEW OBJECTIVE: Clear Data Core For Hive.