NS2 dedicated Server on Windows root d3dx9_42.dll

snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey guys,
please tell me that i dont need a 3d graphic card to run a dedicated server via HLDSupdatetool. ..

Comments

• BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited September 2011
    i think you need to have atleast a dx9 capable vid card
    so probably yes plus any cpu that runs lower than 3.0ghz wont run a dedicated server very well as the server.exe still only uses a single core

thats direct x 9 just so you know
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eh no, i just installed directx - no problem server runs now... at least i dont understand the sense of a dedicated server that needs directx.
    lets hope its just a "feature" that needs the beta
    make sure you are not getting any directx errors on your server what version of direct x does your videocard support? or do you know what the model is for your videocard?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    It must be a requirement for the server-console-console (say that a 100 times). You have the server-console, which is the old and familiar plain-text black-&-white output window for diagnostic-messages, and then there is the console-console ("-console" as start-up parameter) in which you can directly input commands to the server (it looks remarkbly like the client's console, they probably share code, hence the Direct3D-reference).
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    thx for this explain player. but even the fact that its the same code just say me how lazy UWE is to REQUIRE directx on a DEDICATED server... ;)
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1874688:date=Sep 14 2011, 04:11 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Sep 14 2011, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thx for this explain player. but even the fact that its the same code just say me how lazy UWE is to REQUIRE directx on a DEDICATED server... ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has nothing to do with laziness, the requirement is for the DirectX driven in-game like console the server provides if you use the "-console" parameter as player explained. <i>There is</i> a usage for the DirectX libs in the server even that this special console isn't launched by default settings.
    Ok if you think that a dedicated server naturally needs a d3dx9 library have fun! In my opinion its absoluty to high requirement!! Please do some work and create a really good dedicated server!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    Its not a problem to install it (or was it too complicated for you to do?)

They can drop the console feature and remove the requirement - but who else cares about that, other than you? (0 effort install, 0 performance hit, 0 problems)

Stop the useless bi*ching... only makes you look trollish. (since i know you need to have the last word always - send it via pm)
    Omg dude, i take care of my servers and if i need to install senseless crap i care about it! Get yourself some knowlegde!
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Max could really just link the directx dlls as delay loaded for the dedicated server steam depot and make sure non of the singletons/static initializers are calling directx apis. Then windows will only complain about missing directx dlls if you launch with -console command line.
    Oh i just figured out that im not able to use the console because i run on a virtual server with a non-3d card. Is that true or do i just missing some configuration? My console window is just grey....
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Hey snoops, the reason why you can use directx for your server without needing a graphics card is a few reasons:

1: direct x stands for direct SOMEMICROSOFTAPILIBRARYHERE
    read about it on wikipedia, but I'll summarise: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX</a>
    the X in Direct X could stand for direct draw for example, or direct3d, or directsound.

All of these things are part of DirectX and as you can see, especially with directsound, they don't necesserily make use of a graphics card.

The reason why the ns2 server requires directx is because spark engine, most aspects of it, make use of directx in some way or another.

I tried to run an ns2 server on a virtual machine... it didn't work. I had a heap of port forwarding issues, so I dunno. I recommend just running it on a true dedicated computer... you can get it to work that way.

Anyway, enjoy fiddling around with the ns2 server. Cya later.
    The server is running - its running wihtout the console. I know what DirectX is and i understand why the ns2 server needs it, but its still not necessary for a game server to need directx. Everbody (other game companies) is able to run their gameserver smoothly wihout directx AND deploying a server for linux /BSD too! So what are we talking about? Just create a nice dedicated server pls.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Using directx to draw a text console is a bit of an overkill but it would probably require some work to get rid of, and it's likely not a priority, just guessing though.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874822:date=Sep 15 2011, 11:28 AM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Sep 15 2011, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh i just figured out that im not able to use the console because i run on a virtual server with a non-3d card. Is that true or do i just missing some configuration? My console window is just grey....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hit ~ (tidle), it really is just like the client's console. I suppose Max will do a more proper version in due time, but for now this little hack is what we must use.

<!--QuoteBegin-'Ironsoul'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Ironsoul')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey snoops, the reason why you can use directx for your server without needing a graphics card is a few reasons:

1: direct x stands for direct SOMEMICROSOFTAPILIBRARYHERE
    read about it on wikipedia, but I'll summarise: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX</a>
    the X in Direct X could stand for direct draw for example, or direct3d, or directsound.

All of these things are part of DirectX and as you can see, especially with directsound, they don't necesserily make use of a graphics card.

The reason why the ns2 server requires directx is because spark engine, most aspects of it, make use of directx in some way or another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed DirectX is composed of many components, but in truth the dedicated-server needs none of these. Strictly speaking, the filesystem and network-sockets are the only things it requires, neither of which you need DirectX for.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*Get yourself some knowlegde!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe i wasnt clear enough for you, yeah its in there - yeah its not needed and should be changed...

BUT there are more important things to work on, and it isnt a big deal to just install it for now. (You know, under development - not finished product...)

You are the one that didnt understand why it is a requirement currently... => maybe you shouldnt throw such statements* at ppl you dont know. (since that <b><u>could</u></b> relate to a lack of intelligence of yours, which is worse than knowle<i>dg</i>e - if you ask me)
    Woohoo, i dont wanted to blame you. I just dont like answer of people who talk about stuff they dont understand. Thats all.
    Yes of course there are more important things to do atm, as i said in my second post -> lets hope its just a "feature" that needs the beta
    edited September 2011
    You are right. Cant argue with you. (Your communication skills are too good, wish i was as smart - and just insult others with random crap, so they lose interesst in talking to you ever again)
    need to close the troll

or we could open him and see what makes him tick

quick close the thread before he can get the last word in.

im also sure there is some sortive dx runtime included in most dedicated servers just like the library's of what ever 3d soft ware is included in all of the dedicated servers
    Yeah nice Community, just full of dudes which wanna make love with UWE instead of putting some critique or letting critique happen. You dudes are the real trolls... hf see us in 2 years on the released ns2!!!
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DirectX is a standard game server requirement. It's been a requirement for about 75% of the server software released in the last few years. It's not some absurd requirement, and it takes like 30 seconds to install.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited September 2011
    This is just a temporary situation for the beta. It will be fixed before we release.

The console in the dedicated server doesn't require DirectX btw, it's implemented with GDI. There's no good reason why the server requires DirectX, it's just something I haven't gotten around to addressing yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1875057:date=Sep 16 2011, 08:31 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Sep 16 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DirectX is a standard game server requirement. It's been a requirement for about 75% of the server software released in the last few years. It's not some absurd requirement, and it takes like 30 seconds to install.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah well, do you mean steam dedicatedservers or rfactor servers oh wait i know MINECRAFT!!!

Thx Max, nice to hear youre working on that ;)