color-blindness

arganonarganon Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63152Members
So, I am red/green color blind, i can see some reds and greens, but when i play ns2 i have a real hard time seeing the aliens even in well lit rooms. i have this problem with the original ns but it's on the alien side. i was wondering if you might be able to change the hue of the aliens a bit so that they don't match the walls so much.

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875029:date=Sep 16 2011, 03:01 PM:name=arganon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arganon @ Sep 16 2011, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, I am red/green color blind, i can see some reds and greens, but when i play ns2 i have a real hard time seeing the aliens even in well lit rooms. i have this problem with the original ns but it's on the alien side. i was wondering if you might be able to change the hue of the aliens a bit so that they don't match the walls so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What would be the best way to accomplish this? I doubt they will redo the alien textures, and if they make a color blind mode I'm sure people will use it for the greater contrast.
  • arganonarganon Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63152Members
    not sure. would greater contrast be all that bad?
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875034:date=Sep 16 2011, 03:08 PM:name=arganon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arganon @ Sep 16 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not sure. would greater contrast be all that bad?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would love to see it, but that would drastically change marine/alien interaction
    I think there should be a researchable, and upgradeable version of alien vision for marines.

Prototype lab anyone?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That wouldn't really solve his personal overall disadvantage though.
    Greater contrast is definitely not going to be the first choice since skulks (at the least) benefit from being able to hide from a passing glance.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Is there a chance that you could post some screenshots where the aliens blend into the background for you? This might be something mappers could solve by switching problematic textures and is something that would be nice to see in the mapping guidelines.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    What do other games do? Surely other games have a solution for this without giving an advantage to all people, not that I have the slightest idea what is possible.
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    edited September 2011
    Not many mp games are as atmospheric as NS and usually use a lot brighter contrast in colour or continuous darker tones (like most war games). When they have a colour blind mode it usually just changes team colours to red/blue or something similar

I don't have red-green issues but I'm fairly colour blind (can't see purple, barely see green, a lot of other colours have problems) - sometimes have problems with aliens and backgrounds, but not as much by the sound of it...

The best I could think of would be either tweaking alien colours completely (unlikely) or making certain parts of the alien a little brighter/higher contrast - eyes, parts of gorge armour, underside of lerk wings, things like that - not sure how much that would affect gameplay for everyone else though
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    I'm red/green colour blind as well, have some glasses somewhere which corrects it but I don't like wearing them much :p
    I don't have too much troubles seeing the aliens, I guess it can be a little difficult at times but I see them moving easily enough.

Anyway..

Uploaded some images which compare normal vision to some different forms of colourblindness just for other peoples comparison.

<a href="http://imgur.com/a/Y00ZD" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/Y00ZD</a>

Anyway... from left to right it goes through these forms - the protanopia image is the same as the normal image for me so i'm guessing it works.

Normal
    Deurtanopia
    Dog
    Protanopia (most common form)
    Tritanopia

Used colorlink to generate these images
    <a href="http://blog.onthewings.net/2010/02/19/colorblink-an-air-app-that-simulates-how-color-blind-people-see-flash-and-images/" target="_blank">http://blog.onthewings.net/2010/02/19/colo...ash-and-images/</a>

Quick google of colorblind game design brings up countless articles that discuss solutions.

I think this will end up being fairly low on the developers to-do list really, unless there's some sort of easy filtering that can be applied.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875030:date=Sep 16 2011, 08:04 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 16 2011, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What would be the best way to accomplish this? I doubt they will redo the alien textures, and if they make a color blind mode I'm sure people will use it for the greater contrast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Patterns.

You can see different patterns just as easily, if not more easily than normal sighted folks when you're colourblind, so making distinct patterns of dark/light to identify things is the best way to work around colourblindness.

Basically as long as you don't rely on people being able to see in colour, you'll be fine, if it works in greyscale it'll work for people who are colourblind.

Personally I'm used to it, and I don't have too much trouble picking out aliens, but some people are more colourblind than me.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Yea, I have problem seeing anything in red that is not moving but if you are unsure just shoot :)
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Forgive the ignorance, but is there no way to apply your own filter via ATI or Nvidia controls? If not, that'd be cool to develop.
  • Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    edited September 2011
    I also have a slight form of colorblindness but its never been really a problem for me, not sure its even really colorblindness as i have 2 different ones in each eye, so i never got rlly tested positive for it.
    On 1 side im more or less red colorblind and on the other side im green colorblind, although its not as advanced that i cant see those colors with that eye.
    When just looking with both eyes its not much of an issue but there's a pretty distinct difference if i look at a picture with just 1 eye.

Maybe someone else can tell me if there is a name for that, i never really bothered with it because as long as i keep both my eyes open i barely notice it, just learned to live with it ^^
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875216:date=Sep 17 2011, 04:37 PM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Sep 17 2011, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also have a slight form of colorblindness but its never been really a problem for me, not sure its even really colorblindness as i have 2 different ones in each eye, so i never got rlly tested positive for it.
    On 1 side im more or less red colorblind and on the other side im green colorblind, although its not as advanced that i cant see those colors with that eye.
    When just looking with both eyes its not much of an issue but there's a pretty distinct difference if i look at a picture with just 1 eye.

Maybe someone else can tell me if there is a name for that, i never really bothered with it because as long as i keep both my eyes open i barely notice it, just learned to live with it ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've never anything like this before.

Is anyone else in you direct family also colorblind (parents, brother, sister)?
    Or in your extended family (mother/father side of the family and what gender is that person)?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He is a mutant and thats his power! :P
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1875132:date=Sep 17 2011, 02:14 AM:name=Tim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tim @ Sep 17 2011, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm red/green colour blind as well, have some glasses somewhere which corrects it but I don't like wearing them much :p
    I don't have too much troubles seeing the aliens, I guess it can be a little difficult at times but I see them moving easily enough.

Anyway..

Uploaded some images which compare normal vision to some different forms of colourblindness just for other peoples comparison.

<a href="http://imgur.com/a/Y00ZD" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/Y00ZD</a>

Anyway... from left to right it goes through these forms - the protanopia image is the same as the normal image for me so i'm guessing it works.

Normal
    Deurtanopia
    Dog
    Protanopia (most common form)
    Tritanopia

Used colorlink to generate these images
    <a href="http://blog.onthewings.net/2010/02/19/colorblink-an-air-app-that-simulates-how-color-blind-people-see-flash-and-images/" target="_blank">http://blog.onthewings.net/2010/02/19/colo...ash-and-images/</a>

Quick google of colorblind game design brings up countless articles that discuss solutions.

I think this will end up being fairly low on the developers to-do list really, unless there's some sort of easy filtering that can be applied.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting that Dog and Protanopia seem to be almost identical. Tritanopia doesn't seem too bad at all. This is all assuming I'm not some sort of unknowingly colorblind myself :P
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    edited September 2011
    Huh, never even thought about the possibility of each eye seeing different colours :o But there are a lot of weird colour issues out there.. Always been fascinated by the variations (sorry for the OT to come)

Took me a long time to figure out roughly what colours I have problems with, eventually found out I see around 20% of my red colour and 50% of my green, but I generally don't have any problems that normal red-green colour blindness would cause... eg those first 4 pictures appear to be different brightnesses and changes in shading where the Tritanopia picture appears practically grayscale with some brown/dark greens.

On the other hand my sister has always said she can see UV to an extent (sees a slight glow around tvs and some other things, sees a slight extra part at the edge of a rainbow). Really didn't believe her much until I found some things about tetrachromacy and genetic makeup that could cause it etc....

anyway point was no idea what its called but thats an awesome colour blindness :)
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Binocular unilateral deuteranomaly. Or deuteranopia (dichromatia) if you're fully missing one color; deuteranomaly is just a weakness, not a full-missing.

<a href="http://www.colblindor.com/2007/04/17/deuteranopia-red-green-color-blindness/" target="_blank">http://www.colblindor.com/2007/04/17/deute...olor-blindness/</a>
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    As far as I know I'm dichromatic in both eyes.

Apparently this means I see everything very muted, although it's more like I can only see muted colours, except they spread out so dull red is now bright red and so on.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Can't wait for the NS2HD Paralympics Tournament. ;p